Hello from Portland!

I found this site as a link from another site and I have been completely amazed! I have always loved lego but my parents weren't really in a position to buy us these kinds of toys when we were growing up. Now that I'm a mom, I'm having a lot of fun buying and choosing sets that I think my kids will love. My son is 4 and is really getting into them (he can put together sets that are almost 1000 pieces by himself by looking at the pictures). My daughter is younger (2) but we have already starting buying things for her as well (most recently the research institute). Thank you for creating such an amazing resource. I have a lot of fun reading the various articles and I'm astounded by the amount of work that you all put into this. Thank you!

Welcome! Always good to see more people getting their kids into Lego at a young age. Mine are 7 and 4 and we've got them completely addicted!

PS Don't throw away the boxes if you don't have too... I'm sorry I threw away all my childhood toy boxes and instructions. :(

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Brick Analyst - It's Oregon (but I hear that Maine is wonderful too).

Thank you for the tip gregpj! Having children that are really into it as well makes it easier to justify the purchases! Is it okay to collapse the boxes? I can see us running out of space at some point :)

Some people don't flatten boxes, but I do. We just don't have the space to store them unflattened! Heck, we barely have space for our Legos... We are in the process of bagging some older sets to make room for new ones. :)

Sent from Multi-Post iPod touch using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! We also won't have a choice but to collapse boxes. When you bag, do you put everything in one bag or separate them into the number of bags in the instructions?

At the start, I was pretty anal and would put like-parts into smaller bags (depending on the set, that usually meant same color, or same type of parts like bricks vs plates vs technic parts) then all into a larger ziplock with a small piece of cardboard with the set name and # written on them. That took wayyy too long and now I tend to split the sets up into different colors (except for really small pieces like technic pins and odd pieces like antenna or 1x1 plates/studs or rope). Baggie them up separately and away I go. Special pieces such as those with stickers or printing often get their own teenie bag to try and prevent them from getting scratched.

My son (almost 7) has reassembled a number of times for different sorting methods without any trouble.

I always put that piece of cardboard with the set name/number in it. That way we can easily identify the set and find the instructions (stored elsewhere).

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! We also won't have a choice but to collapse boxes. When you bag, do you put everything in one bag or separate them into the number of bags in the instructions?

Another Portlander, Welcome!  Hopefully you are surviving the heat, I was glad for the rain yesterday/ last night.

When I bag sets I do it by size. Small pieces less than 4 studs, pieces from 6 to 10 studs, and anything larger are my general categories.  

I am a little cautious with minifigures as each one goes into a separate 2x3 inch bag.  You never know when a figure with be worth more than the entire set.  I would hate for those buggers to get scratched by other pieces.

Such great suggestions! I've only taken apart a handful of sets and put them in bags so far and I was doing them according to how they were assembled (it also makes it easier for my son to put them together again). However the suggestions you have all provided are very helpful and I'll integrate them. I like the idea of color and/or size and keeping the special pieces from being scratched.

Are there special kinds of bags that you use to keep the small pieces? Silburned, you mentioned 2"x3" bags?

Such great suggestions! I've only taken apart a handful of sets and put them in bags so far and I was doing them according to how they were assembled (it also makes it easier for my son to put them together again). However the suggestions you have all provided are very helpful and I'll integrate them. I like the idea of color and/or size and keeping the special pieces from being scratched.

Are there special kinds of bags that you use to keep the small pieces? Silburned, you mentioned 2"x3" bags?

Something like these.

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Lock-Bags-Case-1000/dp/B003ZZUKQ6

At just over a cent per bag is not bad.  Of course I mostly bag for resale, but these can be used for storage as well.

My son is 4 and is really getting into them (he can put together sets that are almost 1000 pieces by himself by looking at the pictures)

I am 38 and still have trouble putting together sets that are more than a few hundred pieces (I must have close to the world's shortest attention spans) so kudos to your son. He sounds like master builder material.

Make sure to take your kids down to Canby and visit my old mentor:

https://www.facebook.com/bricksandminifigures

He also host birthday parties. The owner has unsurpassed lego knowledge and the staff are all awesome.

• Like 1

Thanks Asharein! There is a bricks and minifigs near me and I haven't been there yet but will keep it in mind - particularly the flagship store :)

We went to the mini-build this month and my son put together the model with no problem - while I needed assistance twice ;)