You have $3,000 to invest today - what sets/how many do you buy?

I know that at this time of year, most of us have spent all of our allocated Lego funds and then some. However, let's just say in the Bizarro world, your wife approached you and wanted you to invest $3,000 in Legos right now. What sets and how many do you buy? Give a list for both the short term investment and long term investment.

My picks are pretty obvious but maybe someone else has some good ones we wouldn't think about. For short term I think 2 stand out to me. These could also be long term investments too. 10217 Diagon Alley 10212 Star Wars Imperial Shuttle Long Term 10197 Fire Brigade 10211 Grand Emporium

1.4 10179 UCS millennium falcons lol This is a great questions and will inevitably get many different responses. My real answer will not give you much but it is this, buy what you like/love and you should be ok. Other members will surely have sets listed for you but I don't wanna do that. If you have a question about a particular set I would be happy to give you some personal insight. Did you have any in mind?

I would have to probably take a stab at a bunch of Green Grocers before they really take off. I think this is the last modular that we will see hit really nice profits, and it seems it is really starting to gain traction

I have been thinking seriously about this too. I did have a chance to buy one at $400 a little while back and now the price has gone way up and I would be lucky to find one for $550 or less. I just wish Amazon would stop taunting me every time I go to their site it is right there in the "Recommended Based on Your Browsing History" area.

Well, my wife donating 3k to the Lego cause would definitely be bizarre. I would have to probably take a stab at a bunch of Green Grocers before they really take off. I think this is the last modular that we will see hit really nice profits, and it seems it is really starting to gain traction.

I agree I would get as many GG's as possible. If you can find them for a decent price I would scoop them up. It may be awhile, but one day I feel these will get to $800+ maybe even $1,000. They are the last modular that will probably ever see those prices.

Good post, as I was actually thinking about this today, but only have 1,000.00 to invest. I am going with: Diagon Alley, Tower Bridge, Haunted House, Shopwith Camel, a few of the zombies sets (target exclusive) and as many of the last wave of the Harry Potter sets you can find........(check your barnes and noble)...

Good post, as I was actually thinking about this today, but only have 1,000.00 to invest. I am going with: Diagon Alley, Tower Bridge, Haunted House, Shopwith Camel, a few of the zombies sets (target exclusive) and as many of the last wave of the Harry Potter sets you can find........(check your barnes and noble)...

all good choices.......I think the Sopwith camel is an under the radar set. I think the VW camper bus 10220 is also a sleeper!

I know that at this time of year, most of us have spent all of our allocated Lego funds and then some. However, let's just say in the Bizarro world, your wife approached you and wanted you to invest $3,000 in Legos right now. What sets and how many do you buy? Give a list for both the short term investment and long term investment.

if you are going to spend all that money on just one or two sets by all means go ahead but just remember that a key to investing success is diversity.

You should have posted a week ago and spent $1k on Walmart clearance. Then buy one sealed green grocer as close to $500 as possible. Hit the closest Lego store and buy $1k of Diagon Alley and Imperial Shuttle. Spend the rest on Tower Bridge off eBay for under $200 and the Haunted House.

Short term, I'd buy $3K worth of 70503 Golden Dragon and flip them as fast as I can. Then I'd have a lot more money to invest. But in the spirit of the $3K limit for the long run, I'd go: 4 Black Pearls $125 5 Vampyre Castle $100 5 Ghost Train $65 5 Jabba's Palace $110 5 Rancor Pit $54 10 Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape $40 1 Haunted House $180 4 Bat vs Bane $40 6 Arctic Batman vs Mr Freeze $20 I think the days of the guaranteed return on the modulars are ending. Now, to go free up the money...

I think the days of the guaranteed return on the modulars are ending.

Since there are many designs in the modular series currently, there is some truth to your statement. I believe that as long as each build is truly unique and LEGO never decides one day to go and re-release a prior set (which will never happen), even future ones shall fetch a pretty penny. Perhaps not as much as "Market Street" or "Cafe Corner" has or could, but still give a nice return none the less.