10242 MINI Cooper Build

ufema

I'm sure you could buy the bricks and build one in a different colour.

Since the wheel wells/windscreens come in only black and white, you could definitely build a black one and a white one.  Otherwise, no other colors could be accommodated unless you did a white or black wheel well as an accent on a different base color.  This actually could look pretty cool - think blue base color with white wheel wells and a white roof. 

EDIT - after checking the parts list, there is another rare piece that doesn't come in any color but dark green, white and light aqua: the 3x4x2/3 triple curved wedge.  This piece makes up a critical part of the trunk (or more accurately, the boot) that gives the model its  signature curved back.  Looks like it may be all white or nothing.

Since the wheel wells/windscreens come in only black and white, you could definitely build a black one and a white one.  Otherwise, no other colors could be accommodated unless you did a white or black wheel well as an accent on a different base color.  This actually could look pretty cool - think blue base color with white wheel wells and a white roof. 

EDIT - after checking the parts list, there is another rare piece that doesn't come in any color but dark green, white and light aqua: the 3x4x2/3 triple curved wedge.  This piece makes up a critical part of the trunk (or more accurately, the boot) that gives the model its  signature curved back.  Looks like it may be all white or nothing.

The current mini's all have black wheel arches (unless you buy the bodykit) so that could work.

White with Black wheels & roof looks good - thought of buying one in that color, but white is the hardest colour to keep clean.

The current mini's all have black wheel arches (unless you buy the bodykit) so that could work.

White with Black wheels & roof looks good - thought of buying one in that color, but white is the hardest colour to keep clean.

I think white with Black wheel wells and roof could look slick too.  Gives it some nice detailing.

I was wondering about that wedge part - it has an indent for a 1x2 plate. I've been meaning to look - are there any 3x4x2/3 wedge without the indent? They are just filled with a 1x2 plate anyways. I see those triple wedges on cars all the time but usually bigger sizes.

The other part that can be limited depending on your color choice is the hinges used for the doors. It comes in most colors, but not all.

I was wondering about that wedge part - it has an indent for a 1x2 plate. I've been meaning to look - are there any 3x4x2/3 wedge without the indent? They are just filled with a 1x2 plate anyways. I see those triple wedges on cars all the time but usually bigger sizes.

The other part that can be limited depending on your color choice is the hinges used for the doors. It comes in most colors, but not all.

gregpj, the Bricklink database doesn't show any other 3 x 4 wedges other than the one with the 1 x 2 plate indent.  I've seen something close with no notch, but it's a 4 x 4 wedge, not a 3 x 4:

45677.gif

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=45677

These are available in most colors.  You could probably substitute it for the 3x4 wedge, but I can see two issues:

1. The 1x6 license plate tile would have to ride above the two wedges, connecting to the bottom stud on each of the wedge pieces - not sure how that would look.

2. The wedges above have ridges, so they wouldn't provide as curved of a surface as one would need to maintain the signature look of the trunk.

And I am sure that someone clever could work out how to do a black and white chequered roof.

I think that would be relatively easy - substitute the 2 x 4 tiles with one black 2 x 2 tile and one white 2 x 2 tile.  Offset every other row.  Voila!

gregpj, the Bricklink database doesn't show any other 3 x 4 wedges other than the one with the 1 x 2 plate indent.  I've seen something close with no notch, but it's a 4 x 4 wedge, not a 3 x 4:

45677.gif

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=45677

These are available in most colors.  You could probably substitute it for the 3x4 wedge, but I can see two issues:

1. The 1x6 license plate tile would have to ride above the two wedges, connecting to the bottom stud on each of the wedge pieces - not sure how that would look.

2. The wedges above have ridges, so they wouldn't provide as curved of a surface as one would need to maintain the signature look of the trunk.

Might look ok with the American license plate on a 1x4 tile instead. I was hoping to build two - the original UK version as-is and then a North American version in a difference color. I'll have to experiment once we open ours up and build it. If it looks crappy, then I just won't worry about it!

Might look ok with the American license plate on a 1x4 tile instead. I was hoping to build two - the original UK version as-is and then a North American version in a difference color. I'll have to experiment once we open ours up and build it. If it looks crappy, then I just won't worry about it!

Please post once you build one - I would be interested in the side-by-side comparion.

Please post once you build one - I would be interested in the side-by-side comparion.

I did a fair bit of "research" into building an alternate color today (orange with black roof like my Mini). I did a straight-up part out of the set and then replaced the dark greens and whites with orange and black where I could. A few parts weren't available:

Easy substitutes...

- the windscreens for the wheel wells - I picked black because our car has a black trim piece there.

- the door hinges aren't available in orange - I picked black as I thought this was a minimal difference

- our seats are black, so I plan on making black/dark bley/light bley seats instead

Hard/Not Sures...

- the 2x3 plate rounded at one end with the pin-hole isn't available in orange (don't yet know what color might work). I haven't yet figured out where this part goes in the completed model and my partner took the box to the lake with our boys.

- the 1x4 brick with studs on the side wasn't available in orange... this could be a deal breaker.

- the wedge... no good options here in either size so my thoughts are:

- use the white ones and display the a$$ end so nobody can see it

- create my own surface using the 1x2 slopes and some tiles

- stickers .. sure wish they used the transparent background rather than green. I think it's a conspiracy by Lego to ensure we don't create our own models in different colors (I'd just leave the stickers off).

Either way, it appears it might be cheaper to just buy a new set and replace/sell off the pieces I don't use rather than bricklink the missing pieces. Some pieces like the blue technic beams are pretty expensive and there are plenty of others I know I won't find in our misc parts bins.

I did a fair bit of "research" into building an alternate color today (orange with black roof like my Mini). I did a straight-up part out of the set and then replaced the dark greens and whites with orange and black where I could. A few parts weren't available:

Easy substitutes...

- the windscreens for the wheel wells - I picked black because our car has a black trim piece there.

- the door hinges aren't available in orange - I picked black as I thought this was a minimal difference

- our seats are black, so I plan on making black/dark bley/light bley seats instead

Hard/Not Sures...

- the 2x3 plate rounded at one end with the pin-hole isn't available in orange (don't yet know what color might work). I haven't yet figured out where this part goes in the completed model and my partner took the box to the lake with our boys.

- the 1x4 brick with studs on the side wasn't available in orange... this could be a deal breaker.

- the wedge... no good options here in either size so my thoughts are:

- use the white ones and display the a$$ end so nobody can see it

- create my own surface using the 1x2 slopes and some tiles

- stickers .. sure wish they used the transparent background rather than green. I think it's a conspiracy by Lego to ensure we don't create our own models in different colors (I'd just leave the stickers off).

Either way, it appears it might be cheaper to just buy a new set and replace/sell off the pieces I don't use rather than bricklink the missing pieces. Some pieces like the blue technic beams are pretty expensive and there are plenty of others I know I won't find in our misc parts bins.

Sounds like a good start. Hope we get pictures. :)