Lego pieces from 1997 ship spill washing ashore

Alpinemaps

Reminds me about worrying for my previous 2002 BMW 325xi's safety while from Germany to NJ. I was tracking the ship at sea using various web sites and learned of previous issues at sea involving cars sinking to the bottom of the Atlantic.

Can you imagine the frenzy on this website (and others) if the last ship@home orders of 10211 GE''s ended up at the bottom of the sea and Lego replaced with with refunds or store credit? Not like there would be a shortage anyway.

Not so funny when you consider the impact on the environment. It amazes me that shipping companies can't transport goods across the sea without losing nearly 700 containers a year in this day and age.

Yeah, it's amazing that in this day and age, we haven't yet figured out how to control the ocean or the weather.  Considering there are single ships that carry more than 700 containers (the Maersk Triple-E carries 18,000) and millions (or more?) containers crossing the ocean every year, this margin of error doesn't seem too offensive.  

Also, it's not like these containers were carrying petroleum byproducts, raw sewage, or nuclear waste- most folks skip the shipping containers and just pump that s**t straight into the ocean.

On a lighter note, in 1992 there was a ship crossing the Pacific that lost a container full of 28,000 bath toys (rubber duckies, etc).  Soon they started washing up everywhere;  a couple of scientists realized the potential, and through tracking the floatees, they developed the first worldwide ocean current map.  

Yeah, it's amazing that in this day and age, we haven't yet figured out how to control the ocean or the weather.  Considering there are single ships that carry more than 700 containers (the Maersk Triple-E carries 18,000) and millions (or more?) containers crossing the ocean every year, this margin of error doesn't seem too offensive.  

Also, it's not like these containers were carrying petroleum byproducts, raw sewage, or nuclear waste- most folks skip the shipping containers and just pump that s**t straight into the ocean.

On a lighter note, in 1992 there was a ship crossing the Pacific that lost a container full of 28,000 bath toys (rubber duckies, etc).  Soon they started washing up everywhere;  a couple of scientists realized the potential, and through tracking the floatees, they developed the first worldwide ocean current map.  

It's not just down to the weather, it's about cost. They could find a more secure way of shipping containers, but it would eat into their profit margins. It's naive to think otherwise.

Not so funny when you consider the impact on the environment. It amazes me that shipping companies can't transport goods across the sea without losing nearly 700 containers a year in this day and age.

BP dumped millions of gallons of oil into the ocean.  The ocean is bigger and stronger than anyone can imagine.  IMO everything you hear about destroying the ocean is a way for someone to cash in.  If you can dump crude oil into the ocean and 6 months later be able to swim and eat the seafood out of it then I don't see how you can hurt it.

On another note I might be going to vacation here. Searching the beach for Lego is definitely up my alley.  Is there a Lego store close by full of exclusives so I can fund the trip...LOL