1. 1. ignore.

• ignore
    • Ignore
  2. 2. Have you built 76023 The Tumbler?

• Yes
    • No

18 minutes ago, dimicoco said:

Hi everyone, want your opinion on this. 

I've been holding on this set and value has gone up aprox. 60% since retail, however value has dipped slightly. Do you think this set holds more value in the long term or worth selling now.

Would like an investor's point of view, thanks.

There´s a whole thread on this set that pretty much summarises the rollercoaster investing has been since 2014.  The general consensus is that is a turd but that was probably due to too high expectations. Pet Shop, SHIELD and Sydney Opera have all since proved what a real subprime D2C  can be.

Guest TabbyBoy

It's already peaked so down it goes. This set really struggled from day one. Those that bought at RRP will be lucky to break even after fees. I'm glad I bought just one, for "free" as I used VIP points. I did predict that the Helicarrier was another duffer too. Tread very carefully with "UCS" sets as the demand just isn't there now. Also there's more than enough supply to meet demand for years!

On 3/9/2019 at 1:29 PM, Val-E said:

There´s a whole thread on this set that pretty much summarises the rollercoaster investing has been since 2014.  The general consensus is that is a turd but that was probably due to too high expectations. Pet Shop, SHIELD and Sydney Opera have all since proved what a real subprime D2C  can be.

I think we can soon add Tower Bridge to that list.

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2019 at 8:02 PM, TabbyBoy said:

It's already peaked so down it goes. This set really struggled from day one. Those that bought at RRP will be lucky to break even after fees. I'm glad I bought just one, for "free" as I used VIP points.

This is one of the great misconceptions of LEGO investing (besides the "spending VIP points during 2x VIP"). The value of your VIP points can be regarded the same as real money. So it does not make ANY difference if you make a bad buying decision a) using VIP points only or b) paying 100% with your real money.

A bad purchase is not less bad because it was "for free" (using VIP points), since you could have spent the VIP points a better way anytime (just like with real money). It's the same misconception people have about gift cards they receive for birthdays etc.

A bad purchase is a bad purchase - no matter how it's paid for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

This is one of the great misconceptions of LEGO investing (besides the "spending VIP points during 2x VIP"). The value of your VIP points can be regarded the same as real money. So it does not make ANY difference if you make a bad buying decision a) using VIP points only or b) paying 100% with your real money.

A bad purchase is not less bad because it was "for free" (using VIP points), since you could have spent the VIP points a better way anytime (just like with real money). It's the same misconception people have about gift cards they receive for birthdays etc.

A bad purchase is a bad purchase - no matter how it's paid for.

the concept of "opportunity costs" albeit simple, is often most readily forgotten in calculating cost/reward/investment

Unless anybody was able to purchase this set for $150 or under there was no reason to purchase this set. I remember the frenzy on this thread when they announced this set was retiring and I just shook my head. I mean I don't think I've seen a more manic thread on this site. A true example of how many dont do their own research. Protip, dump all your Tumblers asap & buy U.S. Capital & NYC Skyline at 25% off or more. You'll thank me later.

• Like 2

Unless anybody was able to purchase this set for $150 or under there was no reason to purchase this set. I remember the frenzy on this thread when they announced this set was retiring and I just shook my head. I mean I don't think I've seen a more manic thread on this site. A true example of how many dont do their own research. Protip, dump all your Tumblers asap & buy U.S. Capital & NYC Skyline at 25% off or more. You'll thank me later.
I would love to hear from Plastic Passion and others who bought tens of these each without prior investing experience. Wondering how they look at that investment now.

24 minutes ago, Phil B said:
1 hour ago, LegoSteve said:

I would love to hear from Plastic Passion and others who bought tens of these each without prior investing experience. Wondering how they look at that investment now.

Probably wondering why they are being called out by someone with 20/20 hindsight.  We have all probably made investing mistakes, not sure the point of rubbing someone's nose in it.  

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Phil B said:
1 hour ago, LegoSteve said:

2016 was a write-off in terms of D2Cs with the holy trinity of Pet Shop, Death Star and Tumbler and Orthanc and Red 5 as worthy nominees for the investment turds hall of fame. Just as well Dragon Sanctuary and Bionicle saved the day. Who would have thought that a few years before?

6 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

I had six Red 5's and one Tumbler for personal build. I found a local seller and traded him three Red 5's for three Tumblers. Felt good diversifying but in reality, I traded a dog for a dog.

I traded my 10188s for a lot of smalls . Made a lot of $$$. Wonder what happened to that sucker 

The Tumbler is/was an awesome set and most people would reinvest heavily again if we all went back in time.  It's another set that started off like gangbusters and had sold like hotcakes, with lack of stock for months around the holidays I believe.  Sometimes the sets that explode out of the gate never can live up to expectations.  Money on this set was made early on, similar to the Minecraft Micro World set.

despite the  unloved state ,  stumbler is finally charting better growth and less of a loser than dred 5 or tower of orcstank. but yeah, its not going to be a village or 10667 anytime soon.  i got sucked into a few or 20 believing that Millennial's were capable of nostalgia with 10 year anniversary of H.Ledger's passing and dark knight's release on the horizon at the time of EOL but those have come and gone so the only "hope'  left is a seller count dwindle down .

if you care about cagr,  you sold these a long time ago.   lol - i guess i don't because i still have a few left to remind me of what a numbskull i am for going off the cliff on this one.

• Like 1