Holy Grail of Star Wars

eferna

Building the set of ultimate awesomeness  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How long will it take to build and make a stop motion video of the 10179 Millennium Falcon?

• 1 week
    • 2 weeks
    • 3 weeks
    • 1 month
    • 2 months
    • 3 months
    • 4 months or more

Unless of course they reissue one........

Even if they reissue one, the re-issued one will never be the same as the original. The 10179 has over 5,000 pieces. I don't think that Lego would do that every again. The days of Lego releasing 4,000-5,000 piece sets is over.

It's not gonna rise in value forever.......there is a ceiling for all Lego sets.

I look at it differently. This is true for 99% of sets.  

This set (along with only a couple of others) should continue to rise even slowly each year until refreshed (e.g. Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal, . Like the other sets, it helps that 10179 contains elements no longer built or were exclusive to it.  The upcoming movie will help.  Demand will always be there especially if "bricklinking" is difficult (time, cost, etc...)

If refreshed (and if history is an indicator), it should begin to decline in value (and eventually stabilize) even if the refresh is smaller.    Used sets will be impacted more if a refresh arrives.

If they did re release these will be stock piled and would never reach the value of the first edition.

100% agree . it will be hard for pretty much any set to match 10179's secondary market value (used or new).   I think the 10189 Taj Mahal, 10181 Eiffel Tower, and 10196 Grand Carousal have the best bets but there had far lower MSRPs  that will hurt their chances.   Additionally, those sets have already surpassed their MSRPs by ample margin.

MISBs growth compared to retail price :

Taj Mahal = 5-6 x $300 :

Eiffel Tower = 8-9 x $200 (outstanding)

Grand Carousal = 7 x $250

UCS Falcon = 6-7 x $500

The ROI growth above is outstanding. 

I know MISB 7888s has no chance to catch 10179 but at $50 retail and a very short retail life, it regular sells for over $500 sealed ($600 sales are common). That is some reason growth, over 1000% on a bad day ;)   ...if only i was buying Lego in 2008.

in summary, i doubt any Lego set will catch 10179 unless the (if) refresh is beyond awesome to cause a steep price decline

Update June 30, 2014

Minor setback, missing one Black Steering Knuckle arm. Have ordered the item through Bricklink. Hope I will not be missing anything else along the way. The build will start on July 1st 2014

Have fun! The build is a blast and the final product is so fun to have around!

Update June 30, 2014

Minor setback, missing one Black Steering Knuckle arm. Have ordered the item through Bricklink. Hope I will not be missing anything else along the way. The build will start on July 1st 2014

I would hold off ordering elements until the end. Use substitutes if needed. My set ended up missing nearly 8 elements and I was able to use correct replacements from my spare parts bin or rig it. The last missing element was found around step 75 so I was far along into the build. The only part that was trouble was one of the medium sized light gray flexible hoses. I took a longer one (widely available still from Lego) and used rose stem shears for a perfect cut. Luckily, I did end il finding one from another eBay find.

I ended up needing to order 5 elements by the end and shop@home covered the order for me since it's such an expensive set. Their customer service is top notch.

Update July 4th 

Build has finally started. Accounted for all the pieces and sorted them into baggies. So far building and taking pics is a pain in the butt. Not sure how many pics I've taken already, but will upload some pics shortly of where I am now.

• 2 weeks later...

Update July 18th

Had a small set back. Was missing a piece and I didn't have it in my spares. Fortunately a friend had it but it took me almost a week just to get it. Total pics as of today is 1100.

Small peek of what is finished. 

11_zpsd63b1f2b.jpg

I bought him a duplo set but the falcon looks a lot nicer to him...He had the box in his hands and I was like thinking...its worth $300 i don't want to piss him off...i got it hid under the table now.  

speaking of duplo, we should build the duplo equivalent of 10179 :)

can you imagine what it will look like. ha