21017 - Imperial Hotel

Guest idunno101

4 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

Ha! My point exactly. I would never have touched that set knowing that ahead of time. Would've bought more space needles instead. 

me too - it wasn't until after retirement when i was trying to figure out why this set was doing crappy that i came across this fact.  doh.  

i thought you couldn't go wrong with wright.   wah -weh.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

how do these architecture sets do? the only one i own is trevi fountain. and only because i proposed to my wife there, haha! 

really depends on what marketplace you are selling on.  best to see what the prices are there rather than generalize.  amazon, ebay, facebook, craigslist.  all different markets, fee structures, payment methods.  they generally do better than dc super heroes sets.

Edited by cladner

They both do well. But if I had to choose I think in the long run the skylines will do better. But we've only had a few of the skylines retire so there is less data to support that theory. I mean, the early skyline sets (Italy and Berlin) are selling for close to 10X the original price. Only structure set that has done that is Sungnyemun 21016. Maybe it's too early to make that call on the skylines but they both do pretty good.

My experience is based exclusively on Ebay sales.

Edited by Gonkalin

Architecture pretty much all I buy these days, and Im really small scale (maybe 200 sets total) however, Ive realised I can about fit about 6-8 skyline boxes in the volume currently filled by a single Ferris wheel so smalls it is for me all the way now. Berlin dragged its heels for ages and is currently going for £120+ in the UK, got mine for £16.

• 3 weeks later...

I have something like 27 Imperial Hotels and they have very slowly appreciated in value.  It's better now than it has been before.

This set went on sale, and it came towards the end of the investment boom when everyone and his brother was catching on to buy Lego as an investment.  On top of that, it's a somewhat obscure subject matter, and for me, only an "OK" piece of lego design.

On top of all that, my impression is that a sizable portion of the Lego enthusiast community simply is NOT into architecture sets at all, so you eliminate a lot of potential buyers the moment you invest in architecture.  They remain a somewhat niche sub-genre of Lego in general.

I feel as though I have learned my lesson!  I am going to steer clear of architecture, barring some brilliant can't miss set, and probably focus on Star Wars UCS sets, which seem to be guaranteed to jump in value.

The better of those sets also represent the finest Lego has to offer, along with the modular buildings and some of the special "Creator" sets.

10 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I feel as though I have learned my lesson!  I am going to steer clear of architecture, barring some brilliant can't miss set, and probably focus on Star Wars UCS sets, which seem to be guaranteed to jump in value.

Steering clear of Architecture sets is the best decision you'll ever make. Dont be afraid yo pull the trigger on those SW sets either. Go big or go home!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

Steering clear of Architecture sets is the best decision you'll ever make. Dont be afraid yo pull the trigger on those SW sets either. Go big or go home!

Star Wars sets are definitely 10x better than Architecture right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

7 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Star Wars sets are definitely 10x better than Architecture right now.

Wall Street investment guru Peter Lynch always pointed out that you only need 1 great stock pick to make a killing on Wall Street, so why would you ever settle for buying anything less than a "perfect" stock prospect?  

His point was that lots of people invest in stocks that are definitely less than perfect when analyzed as a potential gainer...and sometimes people buy stocks that look positively terrible.

He argued to settle for nothing less than the perfect, can't miss stock, at least insofar as you can determine at the time of purchase.

I think that is great advice for Lego investment.  Buy the very best Lego has to offer and which will clearly always have an adult with money who is going to say "I must have that."

Right now, one set that jumps out at me is the Disney World Magic Castle.  That should probably go EOL soon, too.

That is not my thing at all, but it is totally a great piece of Lego design, Disney is super popular among a huge group of people, and it's just a huge, dramatic, amazing thing.  You are always going to find a buyer for that set.

57 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

On top of all that, my impression is that a sizable portion of the Lego enthusiast community simply is NOT into architecture sets at all, so you eliminate a lot of potential buyers the moment you invest in architecture.  They remain a somewhat niche sub-genre of Lego in general.

I knew this statement would serve as a beckoning call that would bring @LegoSteve forth from his U.S. Capitol fortress of solitude. giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

I knew this statement would serve as a beckoning call that would bring @LegoSteve forth from his U.S. Capitol fortress of solitude. giphy.gif

Ha! Yeah Architecture is a hill I will gladly die on any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Although I have learned to finally embrace diversity to a certain point. Instead of sticking to 15 or less SKUs that I've been doing since 2013, I'm now at 50+ SKUs but no huge quantities like good old Architecture. I do plan on going deep into a non-Architecture set on August 1st. Hoping to grab at least 500 units with a stretch goal of 1000. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

Ha! Yeah Architecture is a hill I will gladly die on any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Although I have learned to finally embrace diversity to a certain point. Instead of sticking to 15 or less SKUs that I've been doing since 2013, I'm now at 50+ SKUs but no huge quantities like good old Architecture. I do plan on going deep into a non-Architecture set on August 1st. Hoping to grab at least 500 units with a stretch goal of 1000. We'll see how it goes.

might you hint at how many pallets of the capital building sets you have been moving at the current price?

Not to get off topic of this Imperial Hotel thread but my Capitals are just now moving along with Buckingham, Eiffels, & Archs. It's been a good 4-5 months since I've backed up the truck on Legos, I'm starting to get that itch, but I need capital to do it.  As Dexter used to say, on August 1st, "Tonight's the night."

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, coelian said:

Finally got rid for my 2 Imperial Hotels for a grand total of 30 bucks on a 5 year hold. 😄 This has got to be the biggest dud not just in the architecture line but across all the sets I have tried to sell.

???? You sold these for $15 each? If so, you aren't very good at this.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

???? You sold these for $15 each? If so, you aren't very good at this.

No for 15 bucks profit. 😁 I might as well donate it if I priced it at 15. They have been sitting around for 15 months before I finally moved 1 two weeks ago and suddenly both are gone.  I just wanted to get rid of them and not sit around for another 2 years.

Edited by coelian

• 4 weeks later...

my $60 falling water is now selling for 660 on amazon

architecture is the best!  small in size and easy to store compared to those huge star wars sets

much less bought by collectors so supply is lesser once retired

Edited by Nawoo

42 minutes ago, Nawoo said:

my $60 falling water is now selling for 660 on amazon

architecture is the best!  small in size and easy to store compared to those huge star wars sets

much less bought by collectors so supply is lesser once retired

I just wish they would have kept the “architecture” in the Architecture line. They should have spun off Skylines into its own theme and focused on individual buildings and monuments. 
But with the exception of a few turds — UN, BBgate — I’ve been happy with the bottom-line results as well :)

31 minutes ago, TheBrickClique said:

I just wish they would have kept the “architecture” in the Architecture line. They should have spun off Skylines into its own theme and focused on individual buildings and monuments. 
But with the exception of a few turds — UN, BBgate — I’ve been happy with the bottom-line results as well :)

Non of the current architecture sets really appeal to me right now. White House, Statue of Liberty are so boring. The skyline sets suck.

will wait for more interesting sets to appear

But more important to buy them at sharp discount. I bought my falling waters from legoland at 40% off. They were just sitting in the discount bin cuz no one wanted them

Everyone wants Star Wars. 

That’s gd because when Architecture sets finally get retired, their supply of brand new in box sets will be much scarcer than Star wars

2 hours ago, TheBrickClique said:

I was told the hang up with the old Architecture sets was the IP license.  The skylines don't have that issue.  So more profits and less red tape for LEGO. 

Too bad LEGO isn't a German brick manufacturer, apparently they can build anything they want without worry of licenses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2