10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

Ha ha..  That's the real question. The wife of a friend wants to buy this for her husband as a Birthday present.

Bricklink shows sets going for between £3,300 and £5,000 (I'm ignoring the ones over that) with 2 on eBay (one £4k and the other without bids at £3k). 

The question is really how low this will now go with the rumoured replacement coming out...  It may be worth her while to wait this out for a few months!

Guest TabbyBoy

Nobody outside LEGO knows what the new UCS MF will look like. I just hope that it's either a re-release of 10179 with a spare rectangular dish and old/new figures or a complete redesign which is even larger, less fragile and has a lot more pieces (>6000?). Of course, a lazy re-release will upset a lot who paid too much for a 10179.

Is it worth holding onto your 10179 in the hope of the prices going up again? I think not.

SInce the price point will be $800 Im going to estimate the new version will consist of 6400 pieces and have a modeled interior of a few of the main spaces. Just my opinion but I am fairly certain from what Ive been told that that is what to expect. Cant wait to build this one................:thumbsu:

32 minutes ago, longshot said:

I dont think the original will take much of a hit and even if it drop 10-15% it'll be back up in a year or less IMO. The new one will be significantly different from the older version.........

I'm not sure about this after the price drop of the Death Star. If it is a very different set it will not hurt it that much, but if it ends up being a re-release, the price will drop significantly. 

I have however been buying up those Death stars below €400 as I think it is a bargain, so I would actually end up buying those heavily discounted 10179s probably :D

4 minutes ago, Legojona said:

I have however been buying up those Death stars below €400 as I think it is a bargain

This is what I love. Even though the landscape has changed and so many people come out saying this set is taboo, others look at it as opportunity.  Hopefully you make a fortune with your entrepreneurship 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Mack said:

This is what I love. Even though the landscape has changed and so many people come out saying this set is taboo, others look at it as opportunity.  Hopefully you make a fortune with your entrepreneurship 

One man's trash is another man's treasure...

2 hours ago, Jeff Mack said:

I was always more in the buy low, sell high than the other way around :D 

Makes no sense that people value this set at 400, while the remake costs 500

3 minutes ago, Legojona said:

I was always more in the buy low, sell high than the other way around :D 

Makes no sense that people value this set at 400, while the remake costs 500

Looking for things to make sense in this game makes no sense!

I hope that your buy-ins have been closer to 0 than 400 euros on 10188 as that set is basically now the equivalent of  City Police Station 60047.

8 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Looking for things to make sense in this game makes no sense!

I hope that your buy-ins have been closer to 0 than 400 euros on 10188 as that set is basically now the equivalent of  City Police Station 60047.

true. e.g  the latest at-at and that TRU exclusive hoth set from 2013 (or was it 2014) retire just before the UCS Assault on Hoth debacle is released.

Guest TabbyBoy

The problem of selling a 10179 now is that it could be returned within the 14 day period (if UK Buy It Now) if the buyer sees the price dropping further. Then what will you do with that manhandled and probably opened box? Sell as an auction with a NO RETURN policy if you can. We have no idea what the new MF will look like, but my gut feeling is that LEGO will take the easy and lazy route. Who knows, it could still have the code 10179 if it's exactly the same with a spare radar dish?

I'll buy my replacement 10179 just before Xmas when they drop back to RRP: £342.49 ;-)

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

The problem of selling a 10179 now is that it could be returned within the 14 day period (if UK Buy It Now) if the buyer sees the price dropping further. Then what will you do with that manhandled and probably opened box? Sell as an auction with a NO RETURN policy if you can.

This is a problem with any set sold on a major site like eBay or Amazon and using PayPal for payment.

It's very difficult to use a no return policy unless you do a cash deal.   The buyer can just open an "item arrived not as described" if payment is done online. 

The problem of selling a 10179 now is that it could be returned within the 14 day period (if UK Buy It Now) if the buyer sees the price dropping further. Then what will you do with that manhandled and probably opened box? Sell as an auction with a NO RETURN policy if you can. We have no idea what the new MF will look like, but my gut feeling is that LEGO will take the easy and lazy route. Who knows, it could still have the code 10179 if it's exactly the same with a spare radar dish?
I'll buy my replacement 10179 just before Xmas when they drop back to RRP: £342.49 ;-)

That can potentially reduce the chance of return, but if someone really wants to they can just open a Not as Described case and return it all the same

7 minutes ago, Fcbarcelona101 said:

That can potentially reduce the chance of return, but if someone really wants to they can just open a Not as Described case and return it all the same

Hey, that's what I said. :)

Stinks though. Thus there is essentially always a return policy for the buyer. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Hey, that's what I said. :)

Stinks though. Thus there is essentially always a return policy for the buyer. 

Haha completely missed the last portion of your post.

Right. I prefer to just take advantage of the 20%TRS discount and have an easier way for the buyer to return it if the want (plus, that makes it more likely that they will have to cover return shipping). Something similar happened to me with a Nintendo Switch, sold it for $400+ and the buyer was able to get one later from a family member (he never even opened the shipping box I sent it in, so that was no issue).