RIP Tony Gwynn

Migration

What a great guy, personality included. Not only one of the best mlb hitters of all time, but also has a great baseball family with a son in the majors and daughter married to one of the players he coached. Sad that chewing tobacco cut his life short by a few decades.

I'm at a lose this morning. This shouldn't be affecting me, but it is.

I've watched Tony Gwynn play since he was a rookie. I followed his entire career. I bought a ticket to the game in Montreal, where he hit his 3,000th hit (I didn't attend...I just guessed and bought a ticket for the game). I attended what was supposed to be his last game (the schedule got rearranged after 9/11). I booked my hotel and made plane reservations months before he was elected to Hall of Fame. I was there with 100,000 other people to see his Induction to the Hall of Fame.

I had the honor of meeting him on numerous occasions. From autograph signings here in San Diego, to driving down the freeway and waving at him, to just giving a "hey Tony" when he was shopping at the mall with his kids.

I don't believe in sports herpes, but man, Tony was *my* sports hero. He went to my alma mater. He coached at my alma mater. He was the best player on my favorite team, in my favorite sport. I wore #19 whenever I played beer league softball. Tony was my guy.

• Like 4

I don't believe in sports herpes, but man, Tony was *my* sports hero. He went to my alma mater. He coached at my alma mater. He was the best player on my favorite team, in my favorite sport. I wore #19 whenever I played beer league softball. Tony was my guy.

Me either. ;)

Wow.  The most epic of blunders!  I have a feeling Tony would be giving a big belly laugh at that one.

• Like 1

I had the honor of meeting him on numerous occasions. From autograph signings here in San Diego, to driving down the freeway and waving at him, to just giving a "hey Tony" when he was shopping at the mall with his kids.

Growing up in San Diego, Gwynn was my baseball idol as well. I remember leaving games and seeing Tony and his brother on the 15 in his ride with the "Padre19" vanity plate. He was awesome.

• Like 2

Growing up in San Diego, Gwynn was my baseball idol as well. I remember leaving games and seeing Tony and his brother on the 15 in his ride with the "Padre19" vanity plate. He was awesome.

Yep!  Can't tell you how many times we saw "Padre19" running around town.

Yep sad day.  I also didn't know he was sick.  Last I heard he was coaching a college team.

He was coaching SDSU's team.