Who plays board games?

HeroQuest is epic!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I love HeroQuest.  I had the base game and all of the expansions back in the day, and I ended up selling them to some kid to get money to buy more Magic cards... they call it cardboard crack for a reason.  Those expansions are hard to find now, and the barbarian one goes for north of $300 when one pops up on ebay.  I think I bought it at Meijer for $15, and who knows what I sold it for :(

I ended up finding a really nice near mint copy of the base game at Goodwill so at least I have that back.  Can't wait until the kids are older, I think it's a perfect game for young kids.  And adults too lol.

Love games like this. I might have to look into that.

I love games that put something into the design aspect as well. Thats why Xwing minatures is amazing. I went to a shop today that had the blockade runner expansion and that thing is top notch design.

I thought about getting into Xwing.  A lot of my buddies like it and it looks fun, but I don't  know if I want to get myself into another money pit.  It's one of htose games where they keep coming out with expansion after expansion.

• Like 1

I love HeroQuest. I had the base game and all of the expansions back in the day, and I ended up selling them to some kid to get money to buy more Magic cards... they call it cardboard crack for a reason. Those expansions are hard to find now, and the barbarian one goes for north of $300 when one pops up on ebay. I think I bought it at Meijer for $15, and who knows what I sold it for :(

I ended up finding a really nice near mint copy of the base game at Goodwill so at least I have that back. Can't wait until the kids are older, I think it's a perfect game for young kids. And adults too lol.

I thought about getting into Xwing. A lot of my buddies like it and it looks fun, but I don't know if I want to get myself into another money pit. It's one of htose games where they keep coming out with expansion after expansion.

I wish I had the expansions to HeroQuest.

X-Wing isn't expensive at all. You can easily manage squads and builds under $100 w/ the base game!

I wish I had the expansions to HeroQuest.

X-Wing isn't expensive at all. You can easily manage squads and builds under $100 w/ the base game!

This site has all of the cardboard components of the Hero Quest expansions in pdf form.  Download and print on heavy cardstock and you're good to go.  You can still find the individual plastic monsters on ebay.  This is what I did to get the Keller's Keep and Witch Lord expansions.

http://www.yeoldeinn.com/

As for Xwing, I know I'd drop way more than that $100.  I know myself too well, I'm a completionist.  Have you seen these yet?

Large-Scale-X-Wing-Ships.jpg

• Like 1

This site has all of the cardboard components of the Hero Quest expansions in pdf form.  Download and print on heavy cardstock and you're good to go.  You can still find the individual plastic monsters on ebay.  This is what I did to get the Keller's Keep and Witch Lord expansions.

http://www.yeoldeinn.com/

As for Xwing, I know I'd drop way more than that $100.  I know myself too well, I'm a completionist.  Have you seen these yet?

Large-Scale-X-Wing-Ships.jpg

Exactly. Awesome board game because when I am not playing it, I am going to display all the pieces. The falcon is pretty top notch too.

And they are actually reasonably priced IMO.

• Like 2

I just purchased Tsuro: The Game of the Path. It looks fun.

For a fun team game with the family, we play Forbidden Island.

Both excellent games. You should try Forbidden Desert. It is the sequel to Forbidden Island and adds a little more complexity. Also if you like Forbidden Island you should try Pandemic or Flash Point Fire Rescue. Both coop games.

• Like 1

Do any of you guys play the LEGO board games? I personally haven't tried them out, but from what I can tell, they aren't too great.

I have most of them and enjoyed City Alarm & Minotaurus best. I may have to play the Ninjago one a couple times more or read over the instructions a little better but it became tiring since every single step a player takes forces another drawn-out battle. I played Frog Rush once and that was interesting. The Hobbit was basically a game of Memory, Monster 4 is four-in-a-row/tic-tac-toe, and Pirate Code is similar to Guess Who?. Heroica is neat but you kind of need all the sets for one large 'megamap' to play on and it helps to be into Dungeons & Dragons or just plain Castle stuff.

I was wondering for anyone that can remember playing Crossbows & Catapults, has anybody thought of taking the game and modify it into Lego form? The idea came to me a little while back and now I am really considering it. With the varied selection of different castle themed stuff between regular Castle to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, why not? I've lost count of all the different versions and expansions for the original game that have been released over the years.

I was wondering for anyone that can remember playing Crossbows & Catapults, has anybody thought of taking the game and modify it into Lego form? The idea came to me a little while back and now I am really considering it. With the varied selection of different castle themed stuff between regular Castle to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, why not? I've lost count of all the different versions and expansions for the original game that have been released over the years.

Put a new coat on the concept, call it Angry Birds board game and sell those to the younguns :D

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12785042&prodFindSrc=search&cp=

Put a new coat on the concept, call it Angry Birds board game and sell those to the younguns :D

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12785042&prodFindSrc=search&cp=

Bah. :P Anyway from this commercial for KRE-O's D&D line, it looks like they beat me to the punch with the very same notion of essentially Legoizing "Crossbows & Catapults". Heck, there even is a line in there mentioning the use of catapults and crossbows. Well maybe I can take a look at what they did for a little inspiration of my own.

Was hugely into board games before moving onto Lego...I love Shadows over Camelot, Betrayal in House on the Hill (co-op game like Shadows), Caylus and Puerto Rico! I learnt the map of US through Ticket to Ride and 10 days in USA (am Asian) - favourites too! Other smaller and quicker games like Lost Cities and Balloon Cup are real fun - only need 2 players! For those hardcore board gamers who don't mind playing on their own against the board can try Arkham Horror. :)

i play monopoly on the ipad myself :(

my son likes battleship on the ipad since i refuse to play hasbro's lego-like version ;)

as a family, we play connect four, shoots and ladders, and candyland.

growing up my fav board game was talisman.   too bad there isn't anyone to play with anymore until my son is older.

TalismanInPlayWithCover.jpg

Fun co-op games:

• Castle Panic (Players work together to stop orcs, goblins and trolls from destroying your city.)
  • Pandemic (Players work together to eradicate and cure diseases before it's too late
  • Forbidden Island (Players work together to gather artifacts and get off the island before it sinks)

Strategy games:

• Ticket to Ride 
  • Settlers of Catan
  • King of Tokyo
  • Takenoko (Quite possibly my favorite game, with little panda figurine and beautiful art)
  • Zombies!!! and it's many expansions.
  • Zombie Dice
  • Munchkin and it's many expansions.

If you're into board games, you owe it to yourself to check out Wil Wheaton's TableTop channel on youtube. They get various celebrities together to play board games after teaching you the basics. Most of the ones on here I wouldn't have bought without seeing it played there first.

my son likes battleship on the ipad since i refuse to play hasbro's lego-like version ;)

growing up my fav board game was talisman.   too bad there isn't anyone to play with anymore until my son is older.

I have a friend who has the game and all it's expansions trying to get me to play it. They have also made a digital version for the PC on Steam if you want to play multiplayer with other people.

I used to play games all the time. A few favorites were careers, gambler, risk and stop thief.

More current - fluxx.

Ticket to ride is OK, catan is also OK.

I have approximately 50 different versions of monopoly but games tend to end with me winning so we don't play too often. I am also a big scrabble player, used to be really good (good enough to play tournaments) but I can't play with friends anymore - they won't play me straight up and they won't allow me to spot them points. So my turntable collects dust.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

Now this was a board game! :paladin::wink:

I wanted this game when I was a kid, never got it though.  It reminds me of BattleLore, with cards used to dictate movement.  Looks like the giant map was put in to look impressive rather than for gameplay reasons.  You have to cover a lot of ground before you encounter an enemy army to battle.

I played this a few times, pretty fun game. 

I inherited this game from my brother when I was younger, I think it's set in the same world as Talisman?  I still break out whenever I'm feeling masochistic, you will die 99% of the time in DungeonQuest.

Dungeonquest.jpg

Used to love playing Stratego when I was younger but for some reason relearning all the rules has taken the fun out of it for me.  Now I'm pretty much limited to Monopoly, Clue, and Life.  Used to play Risk but stopped, caused too many hard feelings and fights hahaha

• Like 1

I just purchased Tsuro: The Game of the Path.   It looks fun. 

For a fun team game with the family, we play Forbidden Island.

Its a really fun game. Not to spoil that, but there is a new version called Tsuros of the seas. They should have made it an expansion, but it includes more gameplay (adds dragons that can kill you).

It is a really fun and simple game.

• Like 1

Its a really fun game. Not to spoil that, but there is a new version called Tsuros of the seas. They should have made it an expansion, but it includes more gameplay (adds dragons that can kill you).

It is a really fun and simple game.

I'll give another +1 to Tsuro, it's a fun and quick game.  We usually play it at the losers table for people who've been eliminated from whatever main game we're playing.