Who plays board games?

So my move into toys made it inevitable I was going to come across other stuff like this. It has happened. I am now hooked on board games.

There is a board game flipping, investing market - Much smaller and mostly about promos, etc.

But I was curious if anyone else has looked out there and found the insane amount of awesome board games coming out almost daily.

There are some really awesome simple ones I have and have played a lot:

Munchkin - card game. Close to 1 million expansions.

Ticket to Ride - great and simple family game thats not cheesy.

King of Tokyo - Giant monsters battling each other

Smash-up - Similar to that, but a card game

Dominion - Awesome card game. Anyone can play, but tons of strategy can be involved.

And the more complicated games

Small World - Kind of like Risk but more about spreading a race and then starting a new one

Betrayal at the House on the Hill - Literally different everytime you play

X-Wing Minatures - If you are a star wars fan, you have to have this game

Last Night on Earth - Humans vs Zombies game (Teams)

Pandemic - Fighting zombies and sickness (Cooperative)

Shadows over Camelot - Kind Arthur theme thats cooperative with secret traders

What else do people like?

Risk, settlers of Catan (only played twice), chess, is mah jong a board game? these are my favs. unfortunately when you have small kids, board game nights are harder to organize.

most of the games you listed I have never heard of haha... I am out of the loop!

• Like 1

How about Othello? I used to be a wiz playing that. I can't win at Chess but get me going on Othello and, well, you know. Course it helped when you were the only person that really knew how to play it while everyone else is going "What the heck is Othello?".

haha, I was going to mention this game too. guess it's best to 'secure' the outside/border from what I remember.

Carcassonne - Awesome game.  Even my 3 year old plays with us, when we are playing just for the mapmaking fun of it.  Maybe he will be a cartographer when he is older.  

I bought Dominion a few years ago, but my 8 year old was a bit too young for playing it, so we packed it up and started with the Carcasonne adventure.  I think we have 3 different add-ons, and they are all super fun and interesting to play.  

I taught a chess class a few years ago, and I even sank a few grand into some ebony pieces, which I really like.  I put them in my safe, just so my young ones don't mess with them.

Right now, my family is a Chutes and Ladders, and Hungry Hungry Hippos family, too.
  • Like 1

I'm big into board games, both playing and selling.  In fact, before getting into Lego I was doing a moderate amount of board game flipping and selling magic: the gathering cards.  I wasn't trying to make heaps of money from it, but just like my Lego selling I was looking mainly to fund the hobby.  Some board games can go for hundreds of dollars when they go out of print.  I've since sold off my entire magic collection and I'm just focused on table top games.

Some of the games I've been playing recently are:

-Twilight Imperium - you need to schedule an entire day for this monster, but it's worth it.  It's been hitting the table less lately since myself and most of my buddies have kids now, but we usually break it out once over the Christmas season.

-Earth Reborn - Great tactical strategy game.  It's basically Fallout (the computer game) in board game form.  Very fun.

-Memoir 44 - WWII strategy game.  It's easy to teach and play, and games only last about 30 minutes so its good with kids.

-Mage Wars - Like Magic: The Gathering but without the card collecting aspect.  Everyone has access to all cards to build their deck, and mages fight it out in an arena.

-Android: Netrunner - A reboot of the collectible card game.  Like Mage Wars, all cards are available to all players.

-War of the Ring - Kind of like Middle Earth Risk, but with a lot of extra mechanics and special rules for moving hte fellowship around.

-A Game of Thrones - Strategy war game set in A Song of Ice and Fire Universe

-Cards Against Humanity - Naughty naughty party game for adults.

These are the games that have been played the most in my group over the last couple of years.  There's a ton of titles out there, check out boardgamegeek.com you can spend hours reading about all the titles available.

Monopoly is hands down my favourite. It`s got a bit of almost everything if you look at it the right way. Flawless game that never gets old. 

Also, Risk, Chess, a few card games, Othello (a handful of times over the year. Simple but great), and a bit of Axis and Allies back in the day, that`s about it. 

It feels cool to not be the only person that played let alone knows of Othello.

haha, I was going to mention this game too. guess it's best to 'secure' the outside/border from what I remember.

Actually I can't even remember what the best strategy is honestly. When I played Othello, I just played the game for the game. I probably had some sort of plan going on in my mind as it went on but I mostly recall going through the motions having fun along the way.

Moving along, do any of the tabletop games like Warhammer or BattleTech count? I love those figurines ....even if they are pricy.

I wish I had more people to play board games with.  Though when I do play board games, I usually play Settlers of Catan, Monopoly, Empire Builder, (with modified rules to make the game shorter and more fun,) and Stratego.  I also like othello and chess.

Wow quite a few for Othello. It`s an insanely simple game, but you can go from winning by a substantial margin, to losing by one in literally 1 turn, depending on how the board is laid out. Just goes to show that you don`t need a ton of rules to make an excellent game. 

For the Othello players, there is an app called Reversi Free (by AI factory) that will let you play AI or other people (not online) on your phone. I usually beat level 7 rather easily. I usually play lvl 8 as it takes too long for me to win on 9.

I love Stratego but it is hard to find 2 more people to play it properly

Wow quite a few for Othello. It`s an insanely simple game, but you can go from winning by a substantial margin, to losing by one in literally 1 turn, depending on how the board is laid out. Just goes to show that you don`t need a ton of rules to make an excellent game.

Indeed. With the right blend of simplicity allowing anyone to easily follow-through and complexity to keep ones interest, the perfect game is formed. It

Civilization is one of the best board games out there.

Street Fighter Deck Building card game is fun, thematic and well... Street Fighter!

HeroQuest is epic!

Axis and Allies, always a classic. Been finding the original MB version at the swap meet lately.

Fortress America is very similar to A&A.

I have my collection of hard to find games, which I'm proud of! One of them being The Legend of Zelda and Pokemon. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Guest betsy805

LOVE Othello.  Also Chess, Backgammon, Cribbage and Dominoes.  It's not a board game, but I'm also a sudoku addict and race my husband on them.  My 4 and 6 year old play Othello against eachother....it's hilarious to watch because they've got the general idea, but they consistently miss about half the pieces they're supposed to turn over.  

The Ninjago board game is actually pretty good. You play as a team instead of against each other

Love games like this. I might have to look into that.

I love games that put something into the design aspect as well. Thats why Xwing minatures is amazing. I went to a shop today that had the blockade runner expansion and that thing is top notch design.

I want to get Civilizations and Axis of Allies. Both look really good. Settlers of Catan looks pretty good as well.

Right now I am up to 57 Board Games (bought another today). Not quite my lego collection but getting there.

If anyone wants to get more into Board Games - go to www.boardgamegeek.com