The largest private collection of official LEGO sets I have EVER seen

hobbycrafter

I'm going to go ahead and say that's the largest private collection of official LEGO sets I have EVER seen.

I mean seriously. When the camera first turned around to face the entire room. When the camera moves upward to see the hanging shelves. When the camera moves into an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SECOND ROOM EQUALLY FILLED WITH LEGO.

It's like a game of Where's Waldo, but with every LEGO set imaginable. "Does he have the- yep, it's right there. What about the- oh, right there next to the other UCS sets."

(from reddit : http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/26kuwp/part_of_my_fathers_lego_collection_pictures_dont/)

• Like 4

Wow. hope this person/family doesn't have to move for a long time haha.

Right ? I Can't even imagine the hassle.

Impressive collection, I found myself trying to look for emblematic sets he was missing and ended up finding them all eventually. Wish I had 1/16th of that

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Right ? I Can't even imagine the hassle.

Impressive collection, I found myself trying to look for emblematic sets he was missing and ended up finding them all eventually. Wish I had 1/16th of that

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I know you can't have them all, but there were quite a few big sets missing.  Almost all the modulars, 7191 X-Wing, Statue of Liberty just to name a few.  That said, it was most impressive and cool to see that much of it was '80s and '90s sets. 

Very impressive! The amount of $$ and time commitment is staggering - not to mention the space and cost of storing!

Whenever I see displays like this, I think about when my wife drags me to an art museum - I'd have much more fun perusing lego displays! Maybe that's the next brickpicker project?!?

Very impressive! The amount of $$ and time commitment is staggering - not to mention the space and cost of storing!

Whenever I see displays like this, I think about when my wife drags me to an art museum - I'd have much more fun perusing lego displays! Maybe that's the next brickpicker project?!?

$10 per person to tour Ed's basement.

I thought about the dust thing also (OCD) :twitch:  and I think it would be relatively impossible to keep everything clean.....unless he had some air filtration device.

You beat me to it. You are right. It would take a week to dust and then you just start over again.

I was surprised that this person didn't organize sets by theme/subtheme. Many of them are labeled, but it seems like they're just scattered around in different parts of the room.

I would think the space required to organize everything by theme would be too prohibitive. He had sets displayed on the floor for goodness sake. There were some kind of groupings though, like the pirate ships on the top shelf and space sets from the same series placed close to each other.

If I assembled all the sets I currently have all at once, I would have about half of what this guy does. I'll never do it because my basement floor would litterly be totally covered in LEGO sets! But I really appreciate a hobbyist who takes great pains to create a proper environment to enjoy, surround, and immerse themselves in their hobbies. Kudos to Dave!

I would think the space required to organize everything by theme would be too prohibitive. He had sets displayed on the floor for goodness sake. There were some kind of groupings though, like the pirate ships on the top shelf and space sets from the same series placed close to each other.

Well there was a whole empty shelf in that first room, which I thought was kind of weird since there were some sets on the floor. The organization was just...odd

I was surprised that this person didn't organize sets by theme/subtheme. Many of them are labeled, but it seems like they're just scattered around in different parts of the room.

Too huge of an undertaking. He has been probably been doing this for years and adds new sets randomly as he gets them and puts them together. I guessing alot of this collection was purchased second hand as he could acquire them. If you bought everything in a theme like Star Wars and have been at for the last 10 years and knew the theme could do go on indefinitely each and every year then you may give up trying to keep it all together for display purposes.

The organization thing bugged me too.  I mean, I thought it was an unwritten rule that all LEGO fanatics had to be at least a little bit OCD as well.   He had a bunch of Blacktron II sets all displayed in roughly in the same area, and it would have been so easy to just group them together.  They were so close, yet so far away.  It actually made me kind of antsy. 

• Like 2