LEGO Bans - Open Discussion

IMDeus

• 6 years later...

Tabbyboy that's a pretty fierce stance they took with you there, didn't know the happy people at Lego had it in them TBH. Will be interesting to see if all my orders go through tonight, can't say id be fussed though if I do get banned as I rarely use LEGO Shop at Home anymore. Look on the bright side though fella, at least you get a new Brickpicker badge :)

But the thing is... the badges are long gone...................

PS. I've never seen any reason to bank the points. Points are taken off pre-tax so it doesn't matter if you bank them or not.

Except during double VIP - better to bank this month and spend next month.

There are scenarios where it is fine to use points during double vip. For example, I had $40 in points I was going to use on a Palace Cinema. At no point was I considering buying it at full MSRP. So when I buy a Palace Cinema from LEGO Shop at Home I will be using $40 in points. It makes more sense for me to do that now and get 2XVIP on the rest of the purchase then wait until next month and only get 1XVIP on that amount.

The problem was not using the VIP points as you got them. That total available was clearly unreasonably high for anyone to believe it was legit.

Forget about trying to come up with a safe level to avoid red flags. There is no good reason to let them pile up - just use them.

I didn't record the conversation but, it sort of went like this....

I walked up to the till with an armful of large sets which were well within purchasing limits and handed over my VIP card which was bloated with points to redeem.

Assistant - Good evening Sir, may I help you? Somebody's going to have nice presents!

Me - No they are for me, I'm a LEGO collector and a big fan of Star Wars (handed over VIP card).

Assistant - (Checking VIP balance) Wow, you have a lot of points to redeem, let me make a quick call to check that all is in order (gut feeling that I've been rumbled).

Me - No problem, go ahead - I'm a very keen collector, a huge fan of LEGO and I trust all is OK?

Assistant - (5min later) I'm sorry Sir but, we have to request the return of your VIP card as we find your purchase history alarming and against our policy.

Me - What?! I've always purchased within limits online. What about my points then, can I still use them at a later date?

Assistant - No Sir, my regional manager has to stand firm and has instructed me to cancel your membership and destroy this card. It's not my fault and sorry I can't help more.

Me - (I swore at him and wish I hadn't) Tell this boss of yours that he's a nasty arsehoIe and he's not getting away with this, give me his name right now!!!

Assistant - I'm not allowed to give out names, it's not my decision and I'm only doing what I'm told. (my blood was starting to boil)

Me - OK, OK, sorry I swore at you - I'm not going to let this rest and it makes me so angry that LEGO treats it's loyal resellers (nearly said it!) customers like this. Tell your boss that I want his head on a spike!

Assistant - As I said, I can't help you at this time but, please contact Customer Services - Goodbye, Sir.

...... I was pissed, on the way out of the shop I shouted to the other customers that Amazon was the best place to get LEGO from and Mega Bloks is actually better!

It's only been a couple of days and I've not had a reply from my email to CS yet. If they have an ounce of decency, I will at least be able to redeem by VIP points and I'll call it a day. I'm still shocked that I had no warning whatsoever and thought this would only happen online, not in a shop which was quite embarrassing. My only regret now is not buying 99x HH and 99x TH when I had the chance! I had a scare last year but, this was a system error and all was OK after an apology from LEGO. Now it's real and you do get banned in the UK.

Guys.... It seems like a high VIP points balance raises the red flag. Don't let it build up like mine did, just spend them one set at a time. I haven't actually bought much over the last year but, I was silly to not spend the points earlier.

Thanls for the explanation. Key words PURCHASE HISTORY. I guess it was the 99 FB´s and other such (legal at the time) things that they are now cracking down on, not the new stuff.

I didn't record the conversation but, it sort of went like this....

I walked up to the till with an armful of large sets which were well within purchasing limits and handed over my VIP card which was bloated with points to redeem.

Assistant - Good evening Sir, may I help you? Somebody's going to have nice presents!

Me - No they are for me, I'm a LEGO collector and a big fan of Star Wars (handed over VIP card).

Assistant - (Checking VIP balance) Wow, you have a lot of points to redeem, let me make a quick call to check that all is in order (gut feeling that I've been rumbled).

Me - No problem, go ahead - I'm a very keen collector, a huge fan of LEGO and I trust all is OK?

Assistant - (5min later) I'm sorry Sir but, we have to request the return of your VIP card as we find your purchase history alarming and against our policy.

Me - What?! I've always purchased within limits online. What about my points then, can I still use them at a later date?

Assistant - No Sir, my regional manager has to stand firm and has instructed me to cancel your membership and destroy this card. It's not my fault and sorry I can't help more.

Me - (I swore at him and wish I hadn't) Tell this boss of yours that he's a nasty arsehoIe and he's not getting away with this, give me his name right now!!!

Assistant - I'm not allowed to give out names, it's not my decision and I'm only doing what I'm told. (my blood was starting to boil)

Me - OK, OK, sorry I swore at you - I'm not going to let this rest and it makes me so angry that LEGO treats it's loyal resellers (nearly said it!) customers like this. Tell your boss that I want his head on a spike!

Assistant - As I said, I can't help you at this time but, please contact Customer Services - Goodbye, Sir.

...... I was pissed, on the way out of the shop I shouted to the other customers that Amazon was the best place to get LEGO from and Mega Bloks is actually better!

It's only been a couple of days and I've not had a reply from my email to CS yet. If they have an ounce of decency, I will at least be able to redeem by VIP points and I'll call it a day. I'm still shocked that I had no warning whatsoever and thought this would only happen online, not in a shop which was quite embarrassing. My only regret now is not buying 99x HH and 99x TH when I had the chance! I had a scare last year but, this was a system error and all was OK after an apology from LEGO. Now it's real and you do get banned in the UK.

Guys.... It seems like a high VIP points balance raises the red flag. Don't let it build up like mine did, just spend them one set at a time. I haven't actually bought much over the last year but, I was silly to not spend the points earlier.

Holy Moly!  I find the cursing out of the Lego store employee to be the much more fascinating and compelling part of the story than the ban or the loss of VIP points.  You should have started with that.

• Like 1

There are scenarios where it is fine to use points during double vip. For example, I had $40 in points I was going to use on a Palace Cinema. At no point was I considering buying it at full MSRP. So when I buy a Palace Cinema from LEGO Shop at Home I will be using $40 in points. It makes more sense for me to do that now and get 2XVIP on the rest of the purchase then wait until next month and only get 1XVIP on that amount.

Just doing the quick math, you're losing out on $5.50 worth of points.  On just one set, honestly - not a big deal.   But your $40 worth of points is actually worth $45.50 next month vs this month, on this one purchase.

Just doing the quick math, you're losing out on $5.50 worth of points.  On just one set, honestly - not a big deal.   But your $40 worth of points is actually worth $45.50 next month vs this month, on this one purchase.

Risking another all out debate, mathematically speaking it does not matter if you spend VIP points during 2x.

Perception is not reality in this case. 100 points is always worth $5.

I'll try to dig that thread out tomorrow.

• Like 1

Risking another all out debate, mathematically speaking it does not matter if you spend VIP points during 2x.

I like to live dangerously.  Plus, I ignored that thread.  And kinda always wondered myself.  I certainly learned something - it's not as impressive of a savings as I would have thought....which means I should have just bought that Ferris Wheel I had on the counter at the Lego Store the other day.

its not only about perception. 100 points is always worth $5 there is no question about it. it always remains the same; difference is potential of earning extra on that redemption value. provided that one assumes that rewards/points/cashback is worth the stated value.

if one is partially redeeming points during 2X earning then its pretty much equivalent as using points from credit card (that has 5% cash back for amazon purchase) to pay for items bought at amazon vs. taking statement credit provided that 100 points converts to $1. it almost looks same except you won't be earning 5% rewards for using the credit card for purchase during point redemption. Once again its only $5 for every 100 spent not a big deal if we are talking about $100 only.

but if we are talking about buying say 149,99*20=$2,999.80 . here 5% = $149,99 dyamn for every 20 pet-shop one would get a set free :)

having said that, more detailed explanation:

For point redemption vs Statement Credit:

1. have 10,000 points equivalent to $100,00 of either statement credit or $100 towards amazon purchase via point redemption.

Case 1: Buy $100 worth lego set and redeem $100 in points. Final Status: statement balance: $0 Reward Balance: $0

Case 2: Take statement credit of $100. Credit balance on credit card $100. Buy lego set worth $100. earns $rewards for future usage. Final Status: Statement balance $0. Reward Balance: $5

during 2X VIP:

buy $149,99 set : earn : 299 points => earn $14.95  points for future usage.

buy the same set $149,99 => redeem $40 in points and pay $109,99 => earn only : 220points => earn only $11.00 for future usage

means you would not earn ($14,95-$11,00=$3,95 worth of points for future usage by redeeming points vs using cash)

QED.

most likely if you can afford it; its worth to not redeem partially or wholly if you intend to make any paid purchases in future for the same stuff. its only about MAXIMIZING value and return. one don't have to follow it. :Dsame as using TRU coupon for MSRP or discounted items (maximizes value) but one can use that for sets above MSRP as well. (works but one won't be maximizing return).

Edited by newbie77
  • Like 1

its not only about perception.

if one is partially redeeming points during 2X earning then its pretty much equivalent as using points from credit card (that has 5% cash back for amazon purchase) to pay for items bought at amazon vs. taking statement credit. it almost look  except you won't be earning 5% rewards for using the credit card for purchase during point redemption. Once again its only $5 for every 100 spent not a big deal if we are talking about $100 only.

but if we are talking about buying say 149,99*20=$2,999.80 . here 5% = $149,99 dyamn for every 20 pet-shop one would get an additional free :)

having said that, more detailed explanation:

during 2X VIP:

buy $149,99 set : earn : 299 points => earn $14.95  points for future usage.

buy the same set $149,99 => redeem $40 in points and pay $109,99 => earn only : 220points => earn only $11.00 for future usage

means you would lose ($14,95-$11,00=$3,95 worth of points for future usage)

most likely if you can afford it; its worth to not redeem partially or wholly if you intend to make any paid purchases in future for the same stuff. its only about MAXIMIZING value and return. one don't have to follow it. :D

You will be spending those $40 in point eventually at which point you will lose 40*.05 = $2 of your $4 in earned points.  All you really save or make extra in points by not spending them during Double VIP is 5% of the points you don't spent.  In this case $2.

This is 100% false. I am not going to debate it again, but it doesn't work in the real world and it didn't work on diablo2112's lab-constructed example either due to VIP's being required to be redeemed in $5 chunks (a technicality, but still valid). Bottom line, if you use VIP during 2x VIP you are throwing away money. I'm out.

• Like 1

Yeah, unless you get the ban hammer and lose all your accumulated points. :tommy:

and if i die on the way back i can't enjoy all the lego i bought.

You will be spending those $40 in point eventually at which point you will lose 40*.05 = $2 of your $4 in earned points.  All you really save or make extra in points by not spending them during Double VIP is 5% of the points you don't spent.  In this case $2.

you are correct. its $2 here based on your extension. now add taxes and calculate the difference. there are way too many ways to slice and dice. which ever way one goes redeeming points from credit card vs taking statement credit and

redeeming points during double VIP one is "not able to keep" what is offered to themselves.

This is 100% false. I am not going to debate it again, but it doesn't work in the real world and it didn't work on diablo2112's lab-constructed example either due to VIP's being required to be redeemed in $5 chunks (a technicality, but still valid). Bottom line, if you use VIP during 2x VIP you are throwing away money. I'm out.

No you're not and if you didn't understand my real world example of why it didn't matter, then that's not my problem.

It's a very hard thing to understand.