How do you answer lowballers?

XCool

I have had someone tell me that X website or seller has this item for way cheaper than you do

My response........Thanks for the heads up! Don't bother trying to buy it because I already did. Next time I suggest you buy it instead of wasting time emailing me.

This post is going to change my Ebay best offer policy haha! Well played!

On eBay, I use the auto-decline on my best offer items.

For other outlets, I politely indicate that what I listed is the best I can do (or if I'm really willing to take less, I'll indicate that amount) -- and if they indicate that they've found it cheaper else where, I encourage them to buy it there.  If they clean out the competition that's willing to sell for less than me, power to them, makes it easier for me to get the price I'm asking.

Truly rude, insulting or hostile messages get no response.

Occasionally I'll joke around with them and say something along the lines of "Actually, I'm only going to be charging a fourth of the original price, you just need to pay me that five times and then you can have the item".

Usually I'll ignore any low ballers, it doesn't hurt to ask, but if you honestly think someone will take half of what an item is worth when they don't absolutely need to sell it, then they're "cray cray" as my friend would say. 

• Like 1

214 millions views and it's the first time I heard this song. xD

edit: cool video with 25 languages o_O

(99% sounds the same to me ^^)

That's the French version.  Here is the 25 languages version, with the name of each language subtitled on the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC83NA5tAGE

On topic, just delete and move on.

On craigslist I just say "Sorry, I don't wish to sell at that price"  and leave it at that.  If they're offering me half of an items actual worth or less, I assume they're not ready to make any realistic offers so I don't even counter.

Occassionally someone will argue with me, saying that they can get it on bricklink or amazon cheaper, in those cases I tell them they should buy it wherever they think they'll get the best deal.

I try to be polite at all costs IF I respond.  Thank you for your generous offer but I will pass.  No need for any explanation. No verbal fighting.

If you try to haggle by suggesting you will take a little less you may leave yourself open to a lot more messages.

I don't like to be ignored when I submit offers so I try to respond to most offers I receive.

I low ball on occassion but it usually based on the type of seller.

Does the seller only list Lego or is it someone who lists all kind of used knick-knacks and misc stuff.  The typical junk dealer probably got it in an estate sale or in some other fashion and may be more apt to just get the quick flip.

All you need to do is look at what they are selling.  I also submit lower offers for people only selling one item at a time.

Most of the time larger volume sellers will only lower prices if you buy in quantity...so sometimes I do.

I have found and bought some great deals using the basis of these ideas.

• Like 2

Unfortunately eBay won't let you do this, ask me how I know

Uhhh... I'm not familiar with all the vigorous rules enforced by ebay, so..... how do you know? :-)

(as an aside - I'm always tempted to make a lower than BIN offer after a listing expires with no purchase but I understand that this practice is technically not allowed? or am I making that up?)

Guest betsy805

If it's craigslist I usually post that my price is firm in the description which weeds out most low-ballers.  If I get illiterate responders that still try to lowball I just reply with "I'm sorry, the price is firm at this time but I'll keep you in mind if anything changes."  

Just ignore it. Other potential buyers can see that you have a pending offer and might be worried that you will accept and instead buy it for the full price. This definitely worked for me at least once.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Sometimes some of these just have me steaming.

Just had an exchange today.

"do you have this set"

"no, lowest price is eBay at $, none at Walmart and Target from their inventory "

"do you have this other one"

"yes, my price is $50 (hypothetical) "

"is it new? Where are you located?"

"yes. New."

"can you take 35? I can pick it up today."

"no. I can't. Not around today anyway. "

5 hours later.

"found it at lego store for 55"

Had a tiring day so I put in a sarcasm.

"o, I could have sold it to you for $1"

"o, I thought you say lowest is $50".

After that, lots of name calling on both end.

Normally I would not even bother responding after that $35 hypothetical offer so in hindsight should have done what I normally do.

What do you guys think?

Edited by newbiecollect

Sometimes some of these just have me steaming.

Just had an exchange today.

"do you have this set"

"no, lowest price is eBay at $, none at Walmart and Target from their inventory "

"do you have this other one"

"yes, my price is $50 (hypothetical) "

"is it new? Where are you located?"

"yes. New."

"can you take 35? I can pick it up today."

"no. I can't. Not around today anyway. "

5 hours later.

"found it at lego store for 55"

Had a tiring day so I put in a sarcasm.

"o, I could have sold it to you for $1"

"o, I thought you say lowest is $50".

After that, lots of name calling on both end.

Normally I would not even bother responding after that $35 hypothetical offer so in hindsight should have done what I normally do.

What do you guys think?

?

Certainly I'm missing something. To me this is normal. And the way I read it, I can even say it's quite nice from him.

The guy went for a ride, and found it in a lego store (with the VIP points) for $55 and didn't have to wait for you to ship so he can have it right now (he asked you if he could pick it up) and I guess that if your price was $50 so shipped it would be about $55/60 no ? So it's cheaper or the same price for him.

So the guy just said "Don't bother and do not hesitate to sell this set to another person, because I've found this set in my lego store, bye": you don't have to be upset about that...

Again, this is normal IMHO.

To "found it at lego store for 55" I would have replied "great so you don't have to wait: have fun !" ...

Edited by biniou

There were other things in the earlier exchange at the beginning that made me think he was trolling. I shortened the exchange down for the forum. On my Craigslist post, I stated that if you can find the item in store or online at a lower price, just buy it from the store and don't bother negotiating. I also stated I can help people out locating some of the current stuff if they want simply buy them from the store. While this is supposed to generate side money, I want to have fun while doing it and enjoy it as more of a hobby.

He was asking for a set I never had and never posted initially so I even spent a bit of time helping him out checking inventory at Walmart and target and compare prices for him between amazon and eBay in addition to an newer alternative set from this year if he doesn't want to pay above retail.

After that I expected the exchange to end since I don't have what he wanted. Then he comes back and ask whether I have the 2nd set, so I was straightforward and basically knocked the price down to my lowest price I am willing to take even though I listed higher. The price I quoted was lower than retail and obviously without tax.

I totally read his response of finding it in the store as more of snardy/trolling comment at that point rather than a courtesy. This is because of couple of things. He pointed out my ad but asked whether I have something that I didn't posted. He then asked me multiple times in different emails where I live when it is posted clearly where people can pick up on the same ad. So I was getting some hints on there that he wasn't really interested before he came in with the low ball offer.

In hindsight, I should have responded "great. Thanks for letting me know" but given I was responding to him quite a few times already, I got upset wasting my time on such a low character.

Sometimes I really want to avoid selling on Craigslist as maybe only couple percent of people that I responded to are really interested in buying around the NYC area if not for the fact that I don't want to give eBay all the commissions. In Virginia, where I used to live, I get significantly less low ball offers and much higher results. People are simply nicer and smarter and actually understand the prices that I posted are generally good prices as I typically post market price (eBay /amazon) minus the potential fees or slightly lower than Walmart/Target/Amazon.

• Like 1

Ok, I understand now, thanks.

I would have also been upset, I think.

Sometimes I really want to avoid selling on Craigslist as maybe only couple percent of people that I responded to are really interested in buying

We have the same kind of website here ("leboncoin"). A great waste of time since only 10-15 % of the people really want to buy.

Scammers on a side (when you're a buyer), lowballers and morons on the other (when you're a seller).

I do not use this kind of website anymore.

Edited by biniou