Hello from Germany

• 3 weeks later...

One question to the original poster (or anyone else in Germany, or another European country): how often do you find yourself ordering from a non-European (most likely US) store and have things ship, to avoid both the higher Lego prices in Europe and the local tax which also often is higher than in the US? And if you do: how often do you actually have to pay tax because of customs? Is customs automatically charging you with tax?

This would kind of explain why some people on ebay list large exclusives with something like >$50 shipping cost (even to the US). This typically keeps the "price" low, which would go on the customs form, which would be what you pay fax for ... Not sure how legal that actually is.

One question to the original poster (or anyone else in Germany, or another European country): how often do you find yourself ordering from a non-European (most likely US) store and have things ship, to avoid both the higher Lego prices in Europe and the local tax which also often is higher than in the US? And if you do: how often do you actually have to pay tax because of customs? Is customs automatically charging you with tax?

This would kind of explain why some people on ebay list large exclusives with something like >$50 shipping cost (even to the US). This typically keeps the "price" low, which would go on the customs form, which would be what you pay fax for ... Not sure how legal that actually is.

I think that you could open a new thread for this.

I can give you my point of view, being in Spain. Over here Lego is really expensive, the only places to get nice deals are amazon.es and lately eBay with some dubious origin of the products. That being said, ordering from the US would make it more expensive. I don't know if on the other EU countries the tax rate is the same, but over here if an item has a combined total of (price + s&****) over 45 EUR, you could end up paying import taxes. eBay US is even harder because of their program - Global Shipping is it? - where they charge you the customs fees when purchasing.

That's why I don't buy my Lego from outside the EU.

To the OP, welcome to the site! Fast ein Monat sp

Short answer. I have done this for a few star wars sets 2 - 3 times a year the last 2 years. But depends on the price to the sets outside EU, cause you have to pay the shipping cost (depends on the weight and amount of packages), 4 % customs fee and, for germany, 19 % import VAT. This is not rentable for only 1 or 2 sets. When i import something, customs charge me the invoice 1 or 2 weeks after the import.

Normally it is cheaper to buy a set inside the eu with a little higher price to avoid the shipping time, the time to find a seller with the best prices and the other things to get these sets.

I think that you could open a new thread for this.

I can give you my point of view, being in Spain. Over here Lego is really expensive, the only places to get nice deals are amazon.es and lately eBay with some dubious origin of the products. That being said, ordering from the US would make it more expensive. I don't know if on the other EU countries the tax rate is the same, but over here if an item has a combined total of (price + s&****) over 45 EUR, you could end up paying import taxes. eBay US is even harder because of their program - Global Shipping is it? - where they charge you the customs fees when purchasing.

That's why I don't buy my Lego from outside the EU.

To the OP, welcome to the site! Fast ein Monat sp