10230 - Mini Modulars

Ed Mack

IMO, the whole point of the mini-modulars was for fans of the modular series to get to build a miniature version of the first five sets to display in a place where they didn't have 4+ feet of shelf space. I generally think fans of the modular series are Lego enthusiasts who know the difference between a genuine set and a knock-off. So I feel the existence of a knock-off version of that set has little effect on the value of the genuine mini-modulars....

That said, I must state what a blatant ripoff of intellectual property that crappy set really is. I mean, the whole modular line (mini, regular size, all of it) was created by Lego and unique to the Lego brand. We're not talking about a knock-off super heroes set where the characters exist outside of the Lego universe. We're not talking about a knock-off Friends set that could have been inspired by a Barbie dollhouse. This is a direct knock-off of the frggin' modulars!

Please join me in reporting this listing to eBay...

• Like 5

If they can copy "Battle for Ninjago City", they can copy a full-size modular building.  Of course, the review for the fake version of that set on his Facebook page says the parts bags smell strongly of chemicals, the pieces need to be washed and dried before building (toxic to the touch, I guess; I'm sure they met Chinese safety standards though), and the minifigure quality is so bad you should just forget about them.  It's easy to laugh at these guys right now, but the quality is improving and plastic building blocks aren't exactly the most high tech of products.

• Like 2

IMO, the whole point of the mini-modulars was for fans of the modular series to get to build a miniature version of the first five sets to display in a place where they didn't have 4+ feet of shelf space. I generally think fans of the modular series are Lego enthusiasts who know the difference between a genuine set and a knock-off. So I feel the existence of a knock-off version of that set has little effect on the value of the genuine mini-modulars....

That said, I must state what a blatant ripoff of intellectual property that crappy set really is. I mean, the whole modular line (mini, regular size, all of it) was created by Lego and unique to the Lego brand. We're not talking about a knock-off super heroes set where the characters exist outside of the Lego universe. We're not talking about a knock-off Friends set that could have been inspired by a Barbie dollhouse. This is a direct knock-off of the frggin' modulars!

Please join me in reporting this listing to eBay...

I totally agree. The bigger problem is the company becool. There has to be some kind of copyright or patent infringement here.

• Like 3

They barely acknowledge human rights.  That said, really happy with the gains this set has made.  It's quietly steadily rising and if you bought them at the end when they were on sale for $55-60 or whatever they were at you're pretty happy right now.  I've made this point earlier in the thread, but if/when another version comes out, (and there's 5 more modulars now) this set should take off because collectors will have to have the original as well.  Can't wait.

• Like 4

I'll be the voice of disagreement. Ninjago ripoff is bad, superhero stuff as well and should be reported. The minimodulars are very creative and original. Lego didn't make these as mini modulars. I'm actually pretty impressed by the creativity of these sets. That being said, I would never buy them, but Lego doesn't have the rights to every style of non licenced building in every size

I'll be the voice of disagreement. Ninjago ripoff is bad, superhero stuff as well and should be reported. The minimodulars are very creative and original. Lego didn't make these as mini modulars. I'm actually pretty impressed by the creativity of these sets. That being said, I would never buy them, but Lego doesn't have the rights to every style of non licenced building in every size

Agreed these are creative.  Someone should get the part-list / instruction, use LEGO pieces to build them, and sell these as their own MOCs :D

• Like 1

Are you looking about the eBay listing and calling it creative?? It's the exact same as the LEGO sets, just with bootleg bricks, and splitting the 10230 Mini Modulars set into seperate buildings.

10230_front_001.thumb.jpg.6dddd564b64e70

• Like 6

Are you looking about the eBay listing and calling it creative?? It's the exact same as the LEGO sets, just with bootleg bricks, and splitting the 10230 Mini Modulars set into seperate buildings.

I'm with you here.... They aren't official knockoffs since they're split up into separate sets, but @justapilgrim - whacha smokin tonight? :)

• Like 1

They barely acknowledge human rights.  That said, really happy with the gains this set has made.  It's quietly steadily rising and if you bought them at the end when they were on sale for $55-60 or whatever they were at you're pretty happy right now.  I've made this point earlier in the thread, but if/when another version comes out, (and there's 5 more modulars now) this set should take off because collectors will have to have the original as well.  Can't wait.

Same here. Really rooting for a version two. I only have one for collection, but it's a free roll from selling one already. Box size is nice and small too. :-)

I agree that these ripoffs are bad, but they are way worse when it comes to Super Heroes figures than something like this. The market that would buy my mini modulars set is never ever going to buy these instead IMO.

I agree that these ripoffs are bad, but they are way worse when it comes to Super Heroes figures than something like this. The market that would buy my mini modulars set is never ever going to buy these instead IMO.

6 months ago they were ALL bad. Most are still today. However, after researching last night I found that some companies (most notably Sheng Yuan ) are making knockoffs of Super Heroes minifigs that are indiscernible from the real thing.

They rave about them here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?s=c0e20fd247bfc8cf7b49df343da5cd82&showtopic=94997&st=4650

And you'll see they're getting bolder over time here: https://www.facebook.com/ShopofNinjaBricks

I hate bringing this all up but with so much $$$ invested in Lego, I'm lost for what to do given this increase in bootlegging.

6 months ago they were ALL bad. Most are still today. However, after researching last night I found that some companies (most notably Sheng Yuan ) are making knockoffs of Super Heroes minifigs that are indiscernible from the real thing.

They rave about them here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?s=c0e20fd247bfc8cf7b49df343da5cd82&showtopic=94997&st=4650

And you'll see they're getting bolder over time here: https://www.facebook.com/ShopofNinjaBricks

I hate bringing this all up but with so much $$$ invested in Lego, I'm lost for what to do given this increase in bootlegging.

The Admins and Mods on Eurobricks should lock that thread for stupidity.  They are basically promoting LEGO counterfeits.  Dopes.  

Edited by Ed Mack
  • Like 9

The Admins and Mods on Eurobricks should lock that thread for stupidity.  They are basically promoting LEGO counterfeits.  Dopes.  

And I'm shocked that Lego does not have their legal team seek damages in the millions for copyright and patent infringement. I'd never let another company swipe away a dime of revenue from me.

• Like 1

And I'm shocked that Lego does not have their legal team seek damages in the millions for copyright and patent infringement. I'd never let another company swipe away a dime of revenue from me.

If LEGO cared so much about counterfeits, why would they build a plant in China?  It's not going to be long before many of the actual LEGO molds are in the hands of counterfeiters.  This isn't rocket science.  Looks like the fakes are improving rather quickly.  Big Trouble in Little China...

Edited by Ed Mack
  • Like 3

Surely, $90 for this rip off is above the original RRP for the real thing?

You're correct.

This Malaysian reviewer says he gets the set for about $10 in store : http://mybrickstore.blogspot.com/2015/07/decool-1101-1102-1103-1104-bricktober.html

Anyone in North America can buy for ~$20 here: <ali ex garbage link removed>

Edited by gregpj
ali ex links not allowed

You're correct.

This Malaysian reviewer says he gets the set for about $10 in store : http://mybrickstore.blogspot.com/2015/07/decool-1101-1102-1103-1104-bricktober.html

Anyone in North America can buy for ~$20 here: ali ex link removed

$20 makes more sense. Part of me would be tempted at this price, just to see what the difference is to the real thing - which I have on display.

Anyway, still awaiting for the law suit to start........

Edited by gregpj
ali ex links not allowed

If LEGO cared so much about counterfeits, why would they build a plant in China?  It's not going to be long before many of the actual LEGO molds are in the hands of counterfeiters.  This isn't rocket science.  Looks like the fakes are improving rather quickly.  Big Trouble in Little China...

bigtrouble.jpg