The "OMG I HAVE THAT AND IT'S WORTH THAT MUCH NOW???!??" moments

Guest ph4tb0i

Guest ph4tb0i

Had one of these moments this morning. 

Forgot that I bought 2 Cuusoo Hayabusa's last year at 50CDN and now they're going for at least 100USD. BOO-YA! :D

I have forgotten about 4 Emerald Night in the bottom of my closet, bought at a clearance sale for 90$ (good price in Europe) each. Sets were too small to notice (okay, I admit, the entire russian army could fit into my closet...). I put them into a suitcase to save space anyway and forgot about them.

I bought a couple sealed lego sets (harry potter & something else) for $60 on Craigslist. I bought them strictly to flip, figured I would make a quick $50. When I went to pick them up the woman told me she found some trains too. I knew nothing about Lego trains. I even asked if she meant Lego train. She said yes. I asked how much she wanted (figuring she would try to rip me off). She said no charge, just including them.

I really didn't know what I was looking at, it was just a tub of track and trains. I thanked her and gave her an extra $5 anyway. I sold the trains and track for $300 (minus shipping). I feel bad I didn't give her more but I had never heard of Lego trains. At the time I don't think I even knew opened Lego's had any value.

When the Millenium Falcon 10179 first came out I was like what da !@#$, $600?????  That's crazy.  Nevertheless I put it into my Amazon cart to see if it would go on sale and maybe I'll be stupid to buy it.  After about a year after it's release I was reading and viewing other people opening and such on Youtube.  I was like that's crazy spending 24-48hrs to build it.  Then one day, Amazon had it on sale for $390 so finally bought it.  I was so excited receiving it but I remembered it took 24-48hrs to build and I just had my first kid so I did the wise thing and put it away in the closest when I could find some alone weekend time to build it.  12 months later forgetting about it I noticed it was no longer for sale on Amazon but 3rd party people were selling it for $1000.  Ebay was around $800-$900.  I was like uhm I can't open it now since it appreciated plus I still don't have that much free time to build it.  Two years later I looked it up and it was $2000.  Now several years later and two kids and up to around $3500 I can never get myself to open it and instead I have to sell it.  So excited when I first bought it and now so sad I'll never build it cause it's just worth too much money

• Like 8

When the Millenium Falcon 10179 first came out I was like what da !@#$, $600?????  That's crazy.  Nevertheless I put it into my Amazon cart to see if it would go on sale and maybe I'll be stupid to buy it.  After about a year after it's release I was reading and viewing other people opening and such on Youtube.  I was like that's crazy spending 24-48hrs to build it.  Then one day, Amazon had it on sale for $390 so finally bought it.  I was so excited receiving it but I remembered it took 24-48hrs to build and I just had my first kid so I did the wise thing and put it away in the closest when I could find some alone weekend time to build it.  12 months later forgetting about it I noticed it was no longer for sale on Amazon but 3rd party people were selling it for $1000.  Ebay was around $800-$900.  I was like uhm I can't open it now since it appreciated plus I still don't have that much free time to build it.  Two years later I looked it up and it was $2000.  Now several years later and two kids and up to around $3500 I can never get myself to open it and instead I have to sell it.  So excited when I first bought it and now so sad I'll never build it cause it's just worth too much money

Sell the NISB copy for :money: to buy a used one. Then sell the used one when you are bored with it

• Like 2

Nice story.  I have a hard time opening a $100 set never mind +$1000 set haha.  maybe if your kids are big fans...one day you'll build it together.  Don't think of it as $3,500 but as $390 :)  Keep it in the family.  Or build it and you can always resell it/trade it on BP etc.  I would be tempted to sell it and use the funds on something else but that set sealed is so 'rare' I hate to part with it.   

Make sure kids don't get to it !!

I bought my house just before the housing bubble burst :(

I built my house in 2008, right in the middle of the debt/housing crisis, which I thought was the worst time ever to build.  I don't think it impacted me much, since it would have cost me the same amount to build it anyway and I was staying here long-term.  Of course, after I built it, it was already worth about 20% less than what I had in it, oh well.

Well for me it would be my original Lego SW Mos Eisley Cantina set, kept it complete over the years, and now it's worth about 150-200 US. Also, I have several rare Nintendo gamecube games/accesories, gameboy player and disc, LoZ Collectors editon, OoT Master Quest, E3 Paper Mario promo disc.

Well for me it would be my original Lego SW Mos Eisley Cantina set, kept it complete over the years, and now it's worth about 150-200 US. Also, I have several rare Nintendo gamecube games/accesories, gameboy player and disc, LoZ Collectors editon, OoT Master Quest, E3 Paper Mario promo disc.

With the new cantina coming up, the old one may not hold that valuation for long. 

Wait the LoZ collectors and Master Quest are rare? I need to make sure my brother doesn't mess up the disc lol