CIVILITY

here here!

I would also argue for tougher skin for most folks, but your'e right. Being rude to newbs doesnt help a site to grow. Pretty much every forum i've belonged to goes through this process.

Those who post frequently constantly crave new info, and new entertainment.

Those who join later 'muddy the waters' with topics new to them, making it more difficult for the 'elite' as you mentioned to get to their 'new' info.

Short of creating a new ultra secret Sr. Members only forum, you're going to have this issue. Plus the more you limit the membership to something, the more likely you'll miss out on new thoughts, and points of view.

• Like 1

here here!

I would also argue for tougher skin for most folks, but your'e right. Being rude to newbs doesnt help a site to grow. Pretty much every forum i've belonged to goes through this process.

Those who post frequently constantly crave new info, and new entertainment.

Those who join later 'muddy the waters' with topics new to them, making it more difficult for the 'elite' as you mentioned to get to their 'new' info.

Short of creating a new ultra secret Sr. Members only forum, you're going to have this issue. Plus the more you limit the membership to something, the more likely you'll miss out on new thoughts, and points of view.

There are several issues at hand.  One, there are a few members who think it's OK to be an ass.  I am telling them, enough is enough.  Stop being a jerkoff.  Number two, there are some members who like the site and forums, but find dealing with new members below them.  Jeff and I are are tinkering around with an idea that could deal with this situation.  It is not a private forum, yet it is a private forum.  More on that later.  

There are several issues at hand. One, there are a few members who think it's OK to be an ass. I am telling them, enough is enough. Stop being a jerkoff. Number two, there are some members who like the site and forums, but find dealing with new members below them. Jeff and I are are tinkering around with an idea that could deal with this situation. It is not a private forum, yet it is a private forum. More on that later.

sounds interesting. Perhaps you only see the posts of folks with similar Id history?

Either way, thanks for this site, and thanks for wanting it to be a welcoming, friendly place.

sounds interesting. Perhaps you only see the posts of folks with similar Id history?

Either way, thanks for this site, and thanks for wanting it to be a welcoming, friendly place.

Not quite. There are several options we are thinking of. The main objective would be to give members the ability to have a private forum without causing issues with other members by making some sort of "elite" society. We don't want to tick off the majority to please the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Not quite. There are several options we are thinking of. The main objective would be to give members the ability to have a private forum without causing issues with other members by making some sort of "elite" society. We don't want to tick off the majority to please the minority.

OMG, you should totally sell 1 day passes (view only - basic pass, with ability to post - premier pass) to those private forums to the noobs   :money:

This is just continuing to derail the thread, but what would separate the 'newbs' from the 'elites'.  Would you personally handle the change?

well, it is obviously going to be available only to those with paid membership. I would also imagine some "initiation to the elites" ritual, where beer bong may or may not be involved... 

Maybe it's cause the business I work in, where the newer, inexperienced guys have to have a tough skin. I once post a question/comment and a more experienced member gave me a well written and informative response with tone. I took the the lesson to heart and left the tone behind.

You can't be serious. China Speedorz are for wimps. The Ninjago spinners use swords and spears and tridents.

It depends on how you trick you speedorz. I can add bunch of craps on the side and back :D

But I can dust off my old but trusty Garmaddon spinner should the need arises. He has a sword made of lightning bolts for pete's sake :D :D :D

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=2256-1

The topic went from civility to silly. I am still a newb but the first thing I did when I found the site was read the blogs. Then if I had a question (I had two about retired sets), I looked in the forums before posting.

More civility is better in general as society as a whole is increasingly me-centric. But newer members can help by doing their research first and trying to make their own decisions.

I am waiting for the summer when the posts change from "Is this a good deal?" To "Is this a good time to sell?" (:

Ex astris, scientia.

• Like 3

I am waiting for the summer when the posts change from "Is this a good deal?" To "Is this a good time to sell?" (:

Believe it, they'll come.  What should I sell?  What's a good price point to sell xxxxx set?  Wish I would have bought more of xxxxx!  I shouldn't have sold xxxxx last year.

I'm not making fun, I'm just participating.  I ask myself these questions all the time.

Believe it, they'll come.  What should I sell?  What's a good price point to sell xxxxx set?  Wish I would have bought more of xxxxx!  I shouldn't have sold xxxxx last year.

I'm not making fun, I'm just participating.  I ask myself these questions all the time.

As long as they are posted on the appropriate threads.  IIRC we have a couple flavors of "biggest regret" threads for the should haves and could haves ;)

Ex astris, scientia.

Just wait for the next BN coupon round. Lol

Joking asking, this is a well run site and everyone is great is their own special way. For the amount of postings and members I think we are very civil as a whole but I agree with ED , new members are sometimes made fun of for no reason.

We all started from scratch at some pt and when I first joined the site. i found great support from everyone especially from exciter1 and DNIIM.

• Like 2

While I think the threads on this forum are pretty civil, everyone should probably follow the "think twice, post once" mentallity.  It serves no purpose to berate someone over a seemingly "stupid question."  What is common knowledge to you may not be for someone else.  If people post in the wrong thread, kindly refer them to the correct one and move on.

"Everyone was once a noob, and you are a noob but once" - old Irish proverb

• Like 2

Yes, members can get their Ninjago spinners out and fight to the death.

I wish I grew up where you did.

I was going to go with the old Horse tape, broken glass( maybe Lego) and honey, with 2 minute battles. only rules were no head or crotch shots. 

Not to side track the topic  :hyper:  , but Just saying your way was different, and could work also.