Anyone else experiencing major drops in eBay sales lately???

For another take on March sales, I have a friend that owns a Comic & Games shop.  He usually sees a drop off that starts sometime in March and ends sometime in June.  

He calls it the post Christmas tax recovery period.  Basically he gets a pair of holiday seasons with a small break, one from November through Christmas, then there's usually a one or two week lull than another spike through January/February when people go spend their gift certificates, make returns or buy things they asked for but didn't get for Christmas.  He also seems to get a lot of people in February through early March who knew they would get a bunch of cash back from the IRS so filed early and are spending their returns.  But once that money is gone, people realize how much they spent between Nov and March and start penny pinching for a couple of months.  Tends to pickup again as summer closes in and parents start looking for things to keep their kids busy.

And about the weather ?

In France we had (until yesterday...) a very nice weather this month, it looked like if we were in May. :)

So I'm not that surprised that I had few view for my ebay sellings (Dino HQ and Queen anne's: about... 2 views per day !)

There are 5 major reasons for this:1 Too many resellers2 Too many resellers3 Too many resellers4 Too many resellers5 Gee, I told you so. Nobody wanted to listen. Its only going to get worse.

and to all the new sellers... Soon your dreams of selling lego will be crushed. Muahahaha

Save yourself get out while you still can.

• Like 1

You do have to wonder when there's a semi decent sale (like 20% off a big set) and people come here saying "I got 5"  "I grabbed 10"  "I snagged 15."  That's not sustainable.  How many users of this site are there now compared to March 2013?  Someone smarter than me please look it up.   :)

There are 5 major reasons for this: 1 Too many resellers 2 Too many resellers 3 Too many resellers 4 Too many resellers 5 Gee, I told you so. Nobody wanted to listen. Its only going to get worse.

Don't you remember - It was declared long ago, that more sellers will only make things better.

Besides CAGR is up - How could things not be better!

• Like 1

You do have to wonder when there's a semi decent sale (like 20% off a big set) and people come here saying "I got 5"  "I grabbed 10"  "I snagged 15."  That's not sustainable.  How many users of this site are there now compared to March 2013?  Someone smarter than me please look it up.   :)

I don't know any exact numbers, but I know that there has been a substantial increase in the number of resellers in the Lego market.

Don't you remember - It was declared long ago, that more sellers will only make things better.

Besides CAGR is up - How could things not be better!

The CAGR did come back closer to historical norms, from a very high Nov/Dec.  It might just be the time of year or the OP has the wrong sets for sale...or like you are inferring...too many sellers.  LOL

Guest ph4tb0i

This is the reason why I'm glad I divested from Lego a bit (don't get me wrong, I still buy when it's obscenely cheap, but not to the point where it was 90% of my stock like it was a year ago). 

Sales are pretty stable and definitely growing month to month here. It really depends on what you sell and what the demand is. There is definitely no shortage of customers on the collectibles side. :) 

The reason I ask this is because my sales have dropped off to almost nothing for the last week.  I don't understand it.  I am a Top Rated Plus Seller, and have around 40+ active listings at all times.  I used to do around $50-$70 a day on an average day, and over $100 on good days.

Lately I have had two days where I didn't sell a single thing.  This hasn't happened to me in several months!  Has anyone else been experiencing similar trends?  I am not necessarily worried yet, but this is very odd.  I can't figure out what is causing this.

Any thoughts???

Get used to it fella. With the vast numbers of investors jumping on board daily, the market is only going to become more competitive.

The reason I ask this is because my sales have dropped off to almost nothing for the last week.  I don't understand it.  I am a Top Rated Plus Seller, and have around 40+ active listings at all times.  I used to do around $50-$70 a day on an average day, and over $100 on good days.

Lately I have had two days where I didn't sell a single thing.  This hasn't happened to me in several months!  Has anyone else been experiencing similar trends?  I am not necessarily worried yet, but this is very odd.  I can't figure out what is causing this.

Any thoughts???

Ya too many sellers .. I think alot of people have started to invest and resell part out legos lately. Not enough buyers, to many sellers. Also the fake market has taken away some of the customers you would regularly get.

There are 5 major reasons for this: 1 Too many resellers 2 Too many resellers 3 Too many resellers 4 Too many resellers 5 Gee, I told you so. Nobody wanted to listen. Its only going to get worse.

You should quit immediately. Save yourself, let the rest of us go down on the sinking ship!  :thumbsup:

My sales are fine for this time of year. In books we typically see a lull begin about mid-March and end about mid-May. This is why we have a business Hills and Valleys fund, to see us through the leaner months. It'll be interesting to see if LEGO trends the same way for us.

No big deal.

I would imagine there are thousands of people worldwide everyday that get into Lego investing. Plus when you consider that most re-invest their profits with many buying large quantities of favoured sets. EOL gains are going to get slower

So...give it to me straight.  Are you infering that there might be too many resellers?

• Like 2

Do u really think there are that many new resellers? Lego investing isn't cheap either... It's not like beanie babies or other fads.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I think that there are many new resellers that are starting off on smaller sets that are flodding the market because they are not patient and do not want to sit on some of the sets for a couple of years.

• Like 3