Looks like Toys R Us finally cracked. Check out their new exclusive prices like $539 SSD.

emazers

Just as a fyi, it's illegal to not accept US money, so pennies, nickels, bills, or otherwise, you are required to take it. You can put minimums, like $5 min purchase via credit card, but you cannot restrict the actual payment method with regards to type.

Not to mention that his store is in Canada, I believe.

As a coin collector the thought of getting rid of any coinage makes me ill. There is also a lot of money to be made in paying attention to your change. In the last month alone I've made $50-$60 selling coins I got as change. How many on here would be able to spot a silver nickel if they saw one? And yes they do exist.

Just as a fyi, it's illegal to not accept US money, so pennies, nickels, bills, or otherwise, you are required to take it.  You can put minimums, like $5 min purchase via credit card, but you cannot restrict the actual payment method with regards to type.

Relevant dot gov website: http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

In particular:

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise.

The linked page at the Treasury goes on to give a specific example of merchants being able to refuse pennies, dollars or large bills.

• Like 2

And as the above reply indicates for USA and Canada (since I research that one too), legal tender means it can be accepted.

BUT it by no means 'means' that everyone has to accept it.  It is one of those long believed, but incorrect things it seems in both Canada and USA. 

I sure thought so when I went to a store witha  few pennies, and they would not take them, instead forcing me to pay them with a nickel that was rounded up.  So I had to quickly research it and found it's not required for anyone to accept any cash at all.  Heck they could say credit cards only, or cheques only. 

To bolster your thought, TRU had the Architecture Studio for sale in stock not long before Lego Shop@Home reissued the set. So that means it's not at all absurd to think that they would know when a set will retire early, and jack up prices in advance.

I don't agree that one supports the other. They're correlated but not causational. Also Target got the Arch Studio back in Stock just before Lego.com as well.

To clarify what a couple others have said here, U.S. legal tender laws say a business does not have to accept all legal tender currencies UNLESS it is a debt they are owed. For example, there are videos on youtube of people paying impound fines to get their cars back in pennies. In this scenario the impound place has to take the money, because they are owed a debt. Different than if you order a cheeseburger at mcdonalds.

The reason why it's no longer worth having the penny is due to inflation. If there was little to no inflation the penny would still be worth having around. Given inflation for another 100 years, we may be down to quarters as the smallest denomination haha.

Been trying to stop taking pennies at our store (Lasting Toys) but we have so many kids come in with piggy banks full of pennies.  We hate to turn them away so we take them!!

Back in the day when I used to deliver pizzas, if anyone tried to pay us in coin I would make them count it out in front of me and sometimes even make the roll it before I would accept it. I knew I wasn't getting a tip (anyone who pays with a bag of coins is too cheap to tip anyways) so I liked to have fun with them. One time a dude was short 14 cents so I made him go look for it before I gave him the pizza. Good times good times.

• Like 2

just thought of something...you CAN refuse currency. almost every fast food chain does and most convenient stores. They have it posted something to the affect of we don't except bills larger than 50.00 or some version of that.

This is why I stand outside McDonald's and trade 10$ bills for $100s. They don't care, they just want a damn cheeseburger.

its because they would run out of change to give back...they don't accept bills over 50, but if ur bill was 100, they would take 100 bill.

O I know. But the end result is the same. They are refusing money. Which was the original debate/topic. The reason is irrelevant.

O I know. But the end result is the same. They are refusing money. Which was the original debate/topic. The reason is irrelevant.

Yup. We used to not take them in the mall I worked at because it was a known place for counterfeiters. We didn't want to deal with the whole having to call the police thing. So we combated it by saying no.

Nothing is dumber in currency then those 1 dollar coins though. I remember seeing a report how there are millions of dollars worth in a vault. We continue to make them. Was on a fix news waste watch thing.

I prefer the one dollar bill, they slip easier into a strippers ***-string

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 2

The company I work for does not take cards, and has not for almost nine years. Cash or check only. Yes, there are still a few people that gave an actual checkbook. In that time we've had many 3 or 4 bounced checks and 1 or 2 people not go because they wanted to pay by credit/debit card.

Why would anyone want to get rid of a penny anyway???? A penny is worth more then a penny for just it's copper. Just check ebay and you will see people selling lots of  pennies for more than a penny all day long.

Only if it was minted before 1982, I think, anything later than that is made of zinc with a thin layer of copper.

Only if it was minted before 1982, I think, anything later than that is made of zinc with a thin layer of copper.

That is correct. I have a stash of pennies that were made before 1982. I also noticed that those pennies made before 1982 make a different sound if you drop it and compare it to a newer penny.