The new UCS label now simply means Star Wars Exclusive

Read about this. I wonder how we are going to categorize UCS sets now? Only the sets with the info plaque or all the sets with the new UCS seal?

I just don't get why they would want to do this. LEGO knows the relevance of "UCS" - They could have just created another category (with their special gold emblem).

Hopefully the press release was incorrect, and they will only be using it on the significant sets (not on every SW exclusive).

I just don't get why they would want to do this. LEGO knows the relevance of "UCS" - They could have just created another category (with their special gold emblem).

Hopefully the press release was incorrect, and they will only be using it on the significant sets (not on every SW exclusive).

If they use it on every SW exclusive I will go crazy! :frantics::frantics::frantics:

If this is the case, then i wonder if the current "ucs" sets will hold more value, growth due to their no longer being made in that fashion. Especially ssd, r2d2. People really hold on to the "good old days" or things that respresent a certain era or time. I may need ro up my star wars ds, ssd, and r2 to thirty each.

I am ok with the new UCS label for exclusive Star Wars sets. I do think that they should differentiate between a playset and a display set. Perhaps calling what we know to be a UCS a "Studio Scale Ultimate Collector Series". And also start it with a numbering system. For example, the rumored Slave 1 could be #1 in an ongoing Studio Scale UCS. Couldn't hurt to individually number the sets as well. Not that they have to limit them per se, but an individual number on each set makes it seem more limited. 

Guest eightbrick

I was reading through the huge fuss about this on other forums (brickset, EB) and it seems to be one of those cases where people go nuts over nothing. It's just a label...

I was reading through the huge fuss about this on other forums (brickset, EB) and it seems to be one of those cases where people go nuts over nothing. It's just a label...

Yes - it is a meaningless label. But the fact that so many go nuts over something that really means nothing, also shows how relevant (or irrelevant) it is.

From day one, LEGO should have differentiated the UCS better than they have.  Many UCS sets have no markings that state it is a UCS set.  I would have appreciated a stylish box similar to the Architecture theme for the UCS sets over the years.  I find the Sandcrawler box still too ordinary and geared towards kids.

• Like 2

I'm not sure it's people fussing about just a label, it's that they are fussing about not having a display plaque.

That is what I'm complaining about. Every UCS set except one doesn't have a plaque. That set is the 10188 Death Star. I like having the plaque because it displays the set with the information on it.

That is what I'm complaining about. Every UCS set except one doesn't have a plaque. That set is the 10188 Death Star. I like having the plaque because it displays the set with the information on it.

10188 is not a UCS set.  Also Yoda and Darth Maul do not have a plaque.

For the Sandcrawler, it's a UCS set if Lego says it's a UCS set, that's it.  It makes a bit of a deal for some people as there are plenty that just collect UCS sets.

I would have liked a a plaque and a better box design as well, maybe something like the old TIE Interceptor or X-Wing would be great for the UCS line.  Even something like the 41999 box would have been great.

• Like 2

10188 is not a UCS set. Also Yoda and Darth Maul do not have a plaque.

For the Sandcrawler, it's a UCS set if Lego says it's a UCS set, that's it. It makes a bit of a deal for some people as there are plenty that just collect UCS sets.

I would have liked a a plaque and a better box design as well, maybe something like the old TIE Interceptor or X-Wing would be great for the UCS line. Even something like the 41999 box would have been great.

Yes, I agree. The box from the 7181/7191 are the best of the bunch IMO. The 41999 box is one of the best boxes LEGO has produced. Very classy.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I think that the main goal here is to start a new category of UCS Lego sets. Adding more detail to the set and most likely also adding more cost to the individual set. It sounds like the booklet will be more of a book with building instructions rather than the magazine or spiral bound instructions that came with prior UCS Star Wars sets. We may see other genres of USC including the Marvel sets, maybe a LOTR set, who knows, there might also be a Ninja Turtles USC for the Shellraiser. I think this won't hurt the sets at all, and we might be in for some sweet surprises!!

Tracy S.

• Like 1

I don't kno

I think that the main goal here is to start a new category of UCS Lego sets. Adding more detail to the set and most likely also adding more cost to the individual set. It sounds like the booklet will be more of a book with building instructions rather than the magazine or spiral bound instructions that came with prior UCS Star Wars sets. We may see other genres of USC including the Marvel sets, maybe a LOTR set, who knows, there might also be a Ninja Turtles USC for the Shellraiser. I think this won't hurt the sets at all, and we might be in for some sweet surprises!!

Tracy S.

I don't know that TMNT needs/deserves a UCS-type build, but I'm all for spreading large sets to other themes on a more regular basis.

Tracy S.

I hope you are right. I would love to see some non Star Wars UCS sets.

• Like 1

Tracy S.

I would love to see a large detailed Cinderella's castle as a $250 set. (or something else Disney - there's some money to be made there)

I personally feel a little at odds with what Lego is trying to push with their definition of 'UCS'. I started out with the original X-Wing and Rebel Blockade runner, that had the title Ultimate Collector Series. And shortly afterwards I had the Imperial Star Destroyer. I'm not all up in arms like I've seen some people get over it, although it does seem to water the name down a little bit. To me if it has a plaque and isn't designed to be a playset, then that's a UCS. I don't consider the Death Star, or Ewok Village to be UCS, just really big playsets. This is where the Sandcrawler IMO is a weird in between. It's big enough to be a true UCS, but with all the minifigures and play features, like a tiny Death Star. I really like the look of the box, and enjoy that after MANY MANY years, they are finally identifying 'UCS' sets over the normal ones again. That's what actually caught my eyes as a teenager seeing the X-Wing UCS for the very first time.

• Like 1

I believe that the Death Star & Ewok Village should qualify. As far as the plaque, didn't the Planet sets have plaques? I think the Chinese knockoffs have plaques too.

As far as the impact the UCS label has on values - I would have to say that the most ridiculous would need to be the Naboo Starfighter UCS 10026. That set is really just an avg small set w/ a few chrome pieces, yet the value of that set is just nuts.

I believe that the Death Star & Ewok Village should qualify. As far as the plaque, didn't the Planet sets have plaques? I think the Chinese knockoffs have plaques too.

As far as the impact the UCS label has on values - I would have to say that the most ridiculous would need to be the Naboo Starfighter UCS 10026. That set is really just an avg small set w/ a few chrome pieces, yet the value of that set is just nuts.

I just looked up 10026, close to $400 for a 187 piece set with a $39.99 MSRP.  Wow. That's just nuts.