Building the 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon.

jaisonline

Hi I've bricklinked 10018 darth maul in 6 months but don't have the instructions and had to replace the cylinder black quarter 4x4x6 with macaroni 4x4 as those cylinders are very expensive, overall I saved heaps and have it in my collection. The current bricklink project is 10143 Death Star 2 there are some expensive parts but I've kept everything original the sticker cost the most but overall I will spend around 600. this set used in Aussie land is around 1000

Hi I've bricklinked 10018 darth maul in 6 months but don't have the instructions and had to replace the cylinder black quarter 4x4x6 with macaroni 4x4 as those cylinders are very expensive, overall I saved heaps and have it in my collection. The current bricklink project is 10143 Death Star 2 there are some expensive parts but I've kept everything original the sticker cost the most but overall I will spend around 600. this set used in Aussie land is around 1000

How much did end up getting the Darth Maul done for?

-I don't always going shopping, but when I do I buy Lego-

Dumb question but Im actually looking for a cheaper solution too. How many 4x4 macaroni pieces did you have to get.

-I don't always going shopping, but when I do I buy Lego-

If your intention is to make every member of this site jealous I think you have accomplished it. That looks great, it's cool to see how you've been progressing. How many hours in would you say you are?

Lol, right?

I will eventually have this set but I am holding out for the movie release. If they do for some reason make a new falcon and this one dips for a while, I will be ready to jump.

Nah, I never brag. If I really want to brag, I'll display pics of the unsold Anakin Podracer sets in my inventory,

Honesty, many of us can probably "rent" or "own" sets like this. I was going to write a blog about my approach but haven't had the time.

Essentially, I use the "rent-a-center" approach for nearly every set.

I make sure to pay at least 15% below "loose complete market price" and build them. Then I display the sets for however long possible and.unload them for a gain. The first sets I did this with were a loose 10175 Vader's Tie and an opened box 10181 Eiffel Tower early last yr. Then sold both and used the proceeds toward a Indy Jones Temple Escape and 6211 Star Destroyer. Built those and sold for another 2 units of profit. Then picked up an opened boxed Cloud City (still need to build it) with about 75% of the cost covered by my prev "rent-a-center" sales.

Just keep rotating the sets, avoid sets about to be refreshed, and DO NOT overpay. Sure, you won't be keeping most sets but at least you will have a chance to build cool ones that interest you. When you sell, don't expect 50% profits since that isn't the goal with this strategy.

How many hours in would you say you are?

Good question. So far, I had 2 sit down session. However, it was also doing other distractions (work and house stuff) while building. I guess about 8 hrs in total including the distractions and hunting for single digit included elements.

I purchased a used 10179 off Ebay over a month ago ... and I finally started putting it together 3 days ago.  I'm only on page #68 ... but it has been beyond fun!!!

Loving it!!!

(So far I've already had to forage for 2 pieces in my "spare parts" bins ... which I luckily have been able to locate.  The eBay ad did disclose that a couple pieces might have been missing ... which I was OK with ... considering I was able to get it at an affordable price!)

I purchased a used 10179 off Ebay over a month ago ... and I finally started putting it together 3 days ago. I'm only on page #68 ... but it has been beyond fun!!!

Loving it!!!

(So far I've already had to forage for 2 pieces in my "spare parts" bins ... which I luckily have been able to locate. The eBay ad did disclose that a couple pieces might have been missing ... which I was OK with ... considering I was able to get it at an affordable price!)

Congrats. Are you using the PDF manual like me? I found this approach easier since the paper version is heavy and takes up a lot of room.

Try to take inventory of the most expensive elements. Even basic elements (excluding the masts and radar dish) can go for over $1 used. It adds up fast.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

At that stage when building mine the thing that really impressed me was the rigidity and strength of that internal technic based skeleton.  I have built the ISD and SSD and they are impressive, but the MF is just on another level.  I really got the impression that no expense was spared on the design.  There is technic pins and bracing everywhere, when 1 or 2 might have sufficed it was like they said, nah whack in 3 or 4 of them!

made some progress after '3 days of rest'.  finally installed the masts ;)

now on step 58.1 of 97 (page 93). 

next steps are to build the outline of the left front "?" of the ship.

Made some progress last night.  Now on step 63.1 of 97.  It is finally getting too heavy to carry with one hand (front heavy) and measures 33 x 22 inches.

post-3743-0-15472500-1395517824_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-32407200-1395517854_thumb.jp

After nearly 6 days of not being able to build, i completed more sections today although it doesn't appear like much in the picture.

- the landing ramp, underside of the escape pod opposite the ramp, 2 additional lower areas under the front (bow) mandibles, and 4 small sections that has greebling (visible through the top and lower circles in bow mandibles).

- it's now entirely two heavy for carrying w/ one arm.

- Now on step 68.1 of 97. 

- also added paper towels to the picture for size scaling. 

post-3743-0-98351400-1396035551_thumb.jp

• Like 2

http://www.fbtb.net/tag/10179-millennium-falcon/

The best display I've ever seen.

Good link. I like the video where it gives you the build steps (out of order). Nevertheless, people will get the idea how what's involved.

Http://Www.vimeo.com/36768371

I have to look and see if they have a similar one for the Eiffel Tower. That build was interesting to say the least....