The $4000 Question

Ok everyone, I need some feedback here please. I have the opportitunity to buy 10 Fire Brigades and 10 Grand Emporiums (all NISB) for a total of $4000 from a friend who has been sitting on them and now needs the money. That comes out to $150/ea for the GE's and $250/ea for the FB's.. The question is should I or shouldn't I? What do ya think, good deal or not. I'm on the fence with this one.

It doesn't seem like a good deal for you since you are paying market price for a large expensive lot.  Getting the GE at MSRP doesn't really make sense (tax and VIP points may cancel each other out depending on where you live).  It's a great deal for him - no eBay/Paypal fees and no shipping headaches.

If it wouldn't offend your friend, I'd counter at 20% off his asking price.  He moves a lot all at once with no headache for the same price he would do it on eBay and he gives his friend a deal.  Win/win for both sides.

Guest eightbrick

Dangit.... I keep opening these $XXX threads hoping for the announcement of a new brickpicker game show. :lol:

Anyways, as the others have said it's a bit steep.

The greater the number of items in a lot, the lower price per item you should pay.  You'd be spending $4000 to save about $370 off of what you'd pay to buy them individually elsewhere.  Factor in VIP points, credit card points, and ebay bucks and it's a wash at best.  You're friend isn't really offering you any kind of discount.  On eBay, I'm guessing that lot would sell for about $3,000-$3400.

I assume this is a face to face transaction? Your "friend" is avoiding ebay + Paypal fees (~15%) + shipping costs (~$15 a set) + time to sell individually and getting near market value for the items he no longer has to hold, insure, or worry about losing value.

I am really glad you asked here...this is one of the best things this site can do is help educate people on purchases and not be "that guy" most BPers dream of meeting ;)

I would do it, i broke it down based on current prices

Grand emporium (assuming 6.5% tax)

149.99 * 1.065 * 10 = $1,600

Fire Brigade

270 * 10 = $2,700

To buy those same 20 sets would cost you $4300 right now. If he was to sell them he would probably get around $4,000 after all the fees and shipping. So yes he is saving you $300 but on 20 sets you really werent planning to buy, at the same time hes getting just as much cash and is saving A LOT of time posting them, shipping and dealing with annoying buyers, that alone should be worth something to him, plus youre paying in cash, which is under the IRS radar, honestly i would offer him $3,500. If you have the cash to spare and dont mind sitting on 20 sets for a few years then it would be a good deal.

Life isn't always about money. If he is a good friend and in some type of financial difficulty and you have that money laying around then go for it. If he isn't a good friend though I agree with what others have said.

His friend should be giving him a better deal as he should know that he won't get $4,000 after shipping / fees.

Life isn't always about money. If he is a good friend and in some type of financial difficulty and you have that money laying around then go for it. If he isn't a good friend though I agree with what others have said.

So he should take a bad deal to help out a good friend?  I'd ask for a better deal and give the extra as a long-term loan or gift (depending on how good the friend is).

Like I said if he is a good friend....... I have one or two very good friends that if they needed this help I would help them, then again I'm not selfish.

Yeah, but the friend in financial need is trying to profit off this transaction.

I guess in a way you can pretend like you're lending the person money? When you finally sell the sets for profit you can say it was interest!

I am just wondering if the friend originally bought these at full price.  They have been on discount a few times since release.  That being said, I would still not be interested in Fire Brigades.  I think the Emporium is a better set so I might buy those if I were wanting to help a friend.  Better than nothing.