Target Deal...New to the hobby/business

Target told me they don't match their own online price in store if it's not available online anymore. I guess I complained enough that they did it for me this one time.

They also matched their Bogo 40% off but the stipulation was they couldn't price match and then 40% off the item, it was one or the other. Bottom line is I got these for the following prices. Seemed good to me

Superman Battle of Smallville #76003 - $25.99 each. They matched their online price on both since it was ringing up 49.99 and it was cheaper to just price match.

Iron Man Sea Port Battle #76006 - Rang up 19.99, same as online so got one at that price and the other for around $12

Batman vs Freeze #76000 - rang up 19.99, they matched the first at 15.99, got the second for 40% off 19.99, so around 12 again

I like all the sets but to get them at what I thought were great deals I was very happy

Good Deals or No??

Thanks, looking forward to the forum

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

If your credit score / history and situation can take the hit and if you are disciplined enough not to overspend and capable of paying it off each month, getting a Target Red Card (either the VISA or the Target only version) will help you get the best deals.  The Red Card will give you an extra 5% off any deals you see online, or in-store and gives you free shipping on all online purchases.  It also gives you 120 day returns instead of 90 for most products.

That way when you see an awesome deal online (a set at 30-50% off MSRP with an a BOGO 40% off deal that stacks) you can simply order it with the red card, get that extra 5% off and not worry about shipping.  If it does happen to arrive all banged up, you can just take it to your local target with including packing slip and they'll exchange or refund without issues.

Since I have one of the Superman sets that isn't banged up and I'm pretty sure I confused the hell out of the cashier, would you guys return it since it's $49.99 (paid 27) and get something else that maybe I don't have? It seems kind if shady but...

It's my opinion, like I said I'm another post, I.bought it at $10.99 before Christmas and couldn't move them at $39.99 with free shipping. So even if you got that price by the time you paid fees, shipping, supplies, and your valuable time you will break even. I don't think any investor is happy with breaking even.

Since I have one of the Superman sets that isn't banged up and I'm pretty sure I confused the hell out of the cashier, would you guys return it since it's $49.99 (paid 27) and get something else that maybe I don't have? It seems kind if shady but...

This is frowned upon and also a crime. I wouldn't encourage this, it's tempting but be honest my friend.

One thing that you should examine is how the item is currently selling.  If it sells for over retail while still in production, you have a probable winner.  If retailers are giving it away and nobody wants to buy it on resale sites, then you have to tread carefully.

A good example is the Tower of Orthanc, it sells for over retail even when available - probably due to high demand. 

Also look for sets that are closer to retirement or have exclusive minifigures in a popular license.

Research is your friend (:

One thing that you should examine is how the item is currently selling. If it sells for over retail while still in production, you have a probable winner. If retailers are giving it away and nobody wants to buy it on resale sites, then you have to tread carefully.

A good example is the Tower of Orthanc, it sells for over retail even when available - probably due to high demand.

Also look for sets that are closer to retirement or have exclusive minifigures in a popular license.

Research is your friend (:

I sit on the internet at work all day. Besides these forums, where should I be doing my research. I'm in Vegas btw if geographic location matters at all

Even at 26.99? Like I said, I'm still learning

Superman is popular. The set has many minifigs and some will never be made again. It also has an army aspect that some will like. It is a WINNER at $27 despite what I thought of the movie and this Lego set. You can't go wrong at $27 paid. Worse case is that it will only remain at retail price after retirement. So you make an easy 35% profit after fees.

Experience is the best teacher and research. You can research lots of prices and opinions, but until you're actually buying and selling yourself (not to mention things can change). There is no easy/set way. If there was, everyone would do it and then no one would be able to do it.

Prices in general do not increase until a set is no longer available. Brickset.com is a good site to look at to see if a set is still available on Lego.com or not. Toysrus.com will often carry unpopular sets long after Lego retirement.

And remember, this is a long term sort of thing. You need to be willing to be without the money for a year or two.

Start with a couple of "safe" items (popular themes like original Star Wars trilogy, LOTR, Super Heroes) that you can get at good prices, and then get more brave from there as you learn the ropes.

For a current sale, there are a couple pretty decent items on the Target BOGO - Batman Tumbler is a solid price, Black Gate...