Lego Investment Advisor

There has been a lot of questions lately,"I'm looking at X set for X dollars, should I buy it?" Let me preface this by saying, I'm dumb and use to be dumber (I've been a member and buying & selling since Jan 13) I can see both sides. Guys want advise and others think you should put in more research. Most members are helpful and patient to a point. Jim Cramer says, you can make money investing in company stocks if your willing to devote the time and research. If not buy a mutual fund. There is no such thing as a Professional Lego investment advisor ( some guys may be close). Read this site, watch EBay, visit all the stores, and you can answer yours and other peoples questions in time. After a year I still make bad decisions, just less of them. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Guest davewager78

You know the returns of a secret investment are blown the second you come across someone selling advice!

Funny business sites like these. Say I known from experience that a set like the modular town hall is going to skyrocket after EOL, why would I tell anybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I generally tend to give the best advice I possibly can.  I wish I could buy every deal I come across and invest in every set/theme that catches my investment fancy, but in reality that is impossible given my limited capital (and if I had enough capital to buy everything I wanted I would probably have enough cash that I wouldn't bother with Lego investing and just be a Lego builder with my kids) and I'd rather have investors grabbing deals.  I also tend to think the BP community has less of an impact on the total Lego market than we'd like to believe, so not much harm in trying to help others.

Last, I still make mistakes, but fewer than when I started thanks to helpful posts, blogs and advice.  I don't mind paying it forward, so to speak, in trying to offer some advice of my own. 

• Like 4

As a newb I investor in lego I believe I can comment on this topic. I see both sides of the coin...I have been in this since mid December, so being new questions that I'm trying to figure the answer to are common knowledge to the vets. On the other hand before I ask a question of what's a good investment I'm using the resources that others have so graciously provided to us online. (I.e. bp, bl, brickset) I formulate an idea, I may ask for confirmation but I'll never post without researching first. So it's hard, the people looking to get everything but give nothing back to the group will get the blunt end of the stick but those who prove their weight then must still overlook a question that may be common knowledge

This may be the wrong topic to say this, but I'm always annoyed when someone asks the general "what sets should I buy" guestion, instead of taking the time to read the awesome information you guys have already put on the forum.  It's different if you're asking about a specific set, just not the whole "tell me exactly what to buy" threads.  :roadrage:

You need to ask yourself "what is your edge over your competition?".

If you don't know, then you don't have one and you will fail miserably.

Agreed - depending on your goals, your edge could simply be the patience to buy low and outlast other sellers.  Or your edge can be the persistence to part out sets and flip, which means you have to outwork most other investors.  

I think it's alright to dabble a little at first and try a few strategies out.  Even with all the information here, some lessons (and how much you value your leisure time) can only be learned in the trenches.

Typically those who have the capital to invest big enough to offset the cost of an investment advisor dont need your help and those who need your help dont have enough capital in the first place. Also, if you have such valuable insider knowledge why share it? why not use it to make yourself rich?

• 2 months later...

Looking for some opinions.

I have the opportunity to buy 1 complete set of market street and cafe corner. Both used but complete. No box or instructions for either. $980.00. Good deal as an investment or not?

I think it's a fair price but not sure if my money would be better invested elsewhere.

Looking for some opinions.

I have the opportunity to buy 1 complete set of market street and cafe corner. Both used but complete. No box or instructions for either. $980.00. Good deal as an investment or not?

I think it's a fair price but not sure if my money would be better invested elsewhere.

I think that it is a fair price for a collection and an investment. The value for both of those is about $1400. Buying those for $980 would leave you with some room for profit.

I think that it is a fair price for a collection and an investment. The value for both of those is about $1400. Buying those for $980 would leave you with some room for profit.

That was exactly my initial thought. But after doing more research it appears that many of these sets without box or instructions are selling between $450-600. So after selling fees, etc. seems like more risk than reward and the $1000 may be better somewhere else. I have no doubt that long term it would be a money maker

Just curious, but does anyone see the Mars Rover going for more than $100 in the near future. Would buying two at $70 be worth it to keep one for personal collection then sell the over later down the road be worth it? The idea is to buy two keep one and sell the other to get the price of the first down close to retail of $30.

Just curious, but does anyone see the Mars Rover going for more than $100 in the near future. Would buying two at $70 be worth it to keep one for personal collection then sell the over later down the road be worth it? The idea is to buy two keep one and sell the other to get the price of the first down close to retail of $30.

I can see the Mars Rover going for $100 - $125 in the future, if there are no more being produced.

• Like 1