75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

Right. We don't want some members discussing topics they know little about.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Lol touche

Also, 34 Death Stars and 15 SSD's?!!  Wow, are you kidding me Emazers?  We would all love to have that kind of cash and space to be able to do that.  So unless you posted those figures to brag/rub our faces on it, congrats, you are going to be rich someday!

Search his old posts and you will see those are not his only investments :)

Well since the Death Star has been out since 2008, I think 34 Death Stars is not alot, when Amazon,Target,etc had them for $309-$319 alot 2 years ago and cheaper on those flash sales I should of gotten more, but I guess we all thought there would always be more Big sales from Amazon,etc. But they are done. Look only Lego Top brass no whats retiring at the end of 2014, hopefully its the Death Star, if not well thats will suck. and as for I must have tons of money to buy all this stuff well remember I have 100's of older sets to keep the money coming in to buy the right sets. The key to my success was starting to buy lego sets in 2002 and wait a few years and no when to sell,then in 2006 thats when all the great sets and Exclusives started, so thats when the big money sets were get ready to explode to make plenty of money. Now all you guys who mostly flip and break up sets to make your money, and if you are doing great, well I hope you are using some of those big profits to buy some exclusives.

Well I still had a wholesale account, can only buy regular sets, now I was getting say 40 cases of Harry Potter Castles, Batcaves,Indiana Jones,The First jabba Sail barge 6210 and 6211 Star Destroyer, on the Jabba Sail Barge I got over 100 cases so thats 300 of them cases over 2 years, 3 to a case and $50 each wholesale, so in 2011 and 2012 they were selling for $300-$450 Etc, so then in 2007 I started with the Exclusives, now with all the extra money I had I should of gotten tons of the exclusives, but I only got up to about 15-20 of most. I have 20 SW 10179,Statue of Liberty,Grand carousel,Cafe Corner,Market St,Taj Mahal,eiffel Tower and a few others, I should have gotten way more, now I still have about 15 of different ones from the list that I am holding on to. Now I did get 35 REmotte AT AT and 25 Imperial Flagships. and all the ones above done great, and all the ones that I am stacking up on will do great to. So buy the right ones and you can be living on wall street. Look I am telling all you guys this as I want everybody on here to make plenty of money, some say keep my mouth shut and let them do what they are doing, Well me getting 50-100 more guys to buy and sell on the way I do is not going to affect the price. Ed

• Like 6

Do you have a macro for these posts?

Kidding aside, I agree with the points in principal. I will challenge one thing - with LEGO Shop at Home, is there really any reason why they have to retire anything? Shelf space in the Lego retail store may be limited, but in the online world they aren't as limited. With the Lego market continuing to grow, it would actually make sense for them to increase the number of high end sets available as part of their product mix.

So I hope you are right on the retirement, but I don't think they "have" to retire anything.

You are right Lego does not have to retire any set, I am just saying with all the SW Lego Exclusives out now and adding 2 more huge sets it seems something has to go, I am just hoping its one of them.

• Like 1

Hmmm... I do have two R2D2 sets, but might add another if that is the case with these sets possibly retiring soon.

The DS is a great set and finding it at a B&****** and using a coupon would be best. I don't have much space anymore, so I'd be happy with another one or two of these.

Now, I just need to focus on buying some SSD's!!

Don't forget if you load up on these, you have to ship them as well. how many are you going to unload on CL? It's a pain to get that thing shipped, and then deal w/ possible returns even........I can't imagine.

I'm going to use the message board at work and sell like 10 of them per week, FEE / TAX FREE BOOYAH JUICE!!

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

The sheer quantities of DS being out there and talked about scares me as there'll be a lot of competition post EOL hence, I've not got one yet.  Therefore, I think the SSD (I have 2) is the better bet of the two.  i can't wait for the 75059.

The sheer quantities of DS being out there and talked about scares me as there'll be a lot of competition post EOL hence, I've not got one yet.  Therefore, I think the SSD (I have 2) is the better bet of the two.  i can't wait for the 75059.

just see the example of Fire brigade it was not retiring  there were talks in these forums that many investors have stocked up FB. so good returns will be difficult and may take years just see now how much FB is selling on ebay..

i am now firm believer that once the news is out that these Monsters (DS and SSD) are retiring the price will jump very soon..

Guest TabbyBoy

just see the example of Fire brigade it was not retiring  there were talks in these forums that many investors have stocked up FB. so good returns will be difficult and may take years just see now how much FB is selling on ebay..

i am now firm believer that once the news is out that these Monsters (DS and SSD) are retiring the price will jump very soon..

Roll on 2x VIP then! ;-)

i think the playability of 10188 plus the DS being iconic will prob help offset supply vs. demand issues.  Every SW fan will want (need - lol) one after they come out of their dark ages.  It will kinda be like 10144, 6211, 6210, M.Falcon, etc...  

There will be panic for sure!  For the average (or maybe I just don't know what average is) investor, there has to be a limit on how many large sets one can have in their inventory at any given time, and there are a slew of $100+ sets that are awesome, so something has to give.  I know I love both the SSD and DS but don't have either in my inventory right now, and I believe I have about 7-8K in total inventory.  I need to pre-panic buy...

Hey Veegs, guess you didn't buy any SSD's with the BOGO 50% off on TRU Canada last week.  Good domestic deal.  The price point was too high for me to afford 2 and hold (looking to get other sets like GE this year so funds can't be spread too thin).  Investment objectivity aside, the SSD just doesn't personally appeal to me as much as...DS, R2D2 or TB etc. so if I'm going to spend big cash, I'd prefer to stock up on sets I actually like. 

I guess when people start to flip DS/SSD after retirement, having insurance on shipment would be worthwhile.  I haven't sold anything +$300 online yet :)          

emazers, what is the "Taj Mahal" of currently available sets?

Sorry for chiming in but I can't help it.

There isn't really one if you mean for investing purposes. Sure, you can get lucky with sets likes the Zombies and 41999. Sets like the new Arkham, Tower Bridge, Sidney Opera House, 10188, Super Star Destroyer give me "moderate" hope but they are already hoarded by people like us or have been available long enough at (or below ) retail price so too many people already have them. As you know, it' small bout supply vs demand,

The "exclusive" and "hard to find" sets have extremely long retail lives nowadays. I seriously doubt we'll see another Eiffel Tower, Taj, Grand Carousel, etc... in terms of ROI.

Back in the 2000s and 2010, anyone could pretty much invest in the cooler sets and make serious coin after a few years. The sets mentioned above along with most UCS, the initial modulars, trains, Batman 1, Harry Potter, and Indy Jones were no-brainers. Jeez, if only I was investing then...

I fear, those days are long gone. We have more investors, longer retail lives (as already stated), less time between retirement and refreshes, and there are far more sealed sets available nowadays than even 3+ years ago in the secondary market.

I do think we can still make money on popular sets that retailed for 6 months to 24 months as long as they aren't refreshed too quickly,

• Like 3

Sorry for chiming in but I can't help it.

There isn't really one if you mean for investing purposes. Sure, you can get lucky with sets likes the Zombies and 41999.

The "exclusive" and "hard to find" sets have extremely long retail lives nowadays. I seriously doubt we'll see another Eiffel Tower, Taj, Grand Carousel, etc... in terms of ROI.

Back in the 2000s and 2010, anyone could pretty much invest in the cooler sets and make serious coin after a few years. The sets mentioned above along with most UCS, the initial modulars, trains, Batman 1, and Indy Jones were no-brainers. Jeez, if only I was investing then...

I fear, those days are long gone. We have more investors, longer retail lives (as already stated), less time between retirement and refreshes, and there are far more sealed sets available nowadays than even 3+ years ago in the secondary market.

It would be interesting to know what effect price point has on this observation.  I mean, how much of the extension in retail life is down to the volume of sets sold, or from the higher price point of each set (causing perhaps a lower rate of set sales).

Though the Life star has been around since the creation of the universe, are there really that many people out there with a

The Lego Hard to Find Exclusives from 2007-12 there were alot of great ones, and if you would of stocked up on them well you would of made huge money, now for the Exclusives now well my thought is that most are as great and will bring big money, The Main problem instead of 2 year shelf life now they are 2-4 or more, and as for more would be investors I stated this alot at least 75% of the new would be exclusive investors will start to crack within the first year and most will give up by year 2. If you ask 1000 people if they would invest say $10,000 on Lego and tell them they will have to wait 2-4 years before it retires and then a few more before you will be able to sell and make some money, I bet 975 would say no. Don't worry about new investors most have no idea whats going on. But back to the exclusives that are out now, Most are great sets that will make anybody who buys the right sets and can handle waiting, which is hard. "But remember who ever didn't get the 10179 years ago and you no how you regret and think about it alot, even me and I had 10, well don't do the same thing on the Death Star, because if you miss the boat on this one you will never forgive yourself, I can't forgive myself for not buying more than 25 Harry Potter Pocket watches from the first movie, Fossil Exclusive $100, had a special case just perfect just like the movie, paid $100 sold them for $400-500, I kept saying buy 50, but I didn't and there are a few more toys I screwed up on, but with Lego I am going to try and not miss the boat on any set. So with the DS,SSD,TB,HH,Batman Ayslum,R2-D2,Ewok Village,GE,Tower of Orthic,Cinema Palace,Opera House,Simpson House Volkswahen Camper,New Sandcrawler and Slave 1"So I think the Exclusives out now will make anybody pretty rich if you have the money to buy and don't crack. ED

• Like 3

If you ask 1000 people if they would invest say $10,000 on Lego and tell them they will have to wait 2-4 years before it retires and then a few more before you will be able to sell and make some money, I bet 975 would say no.

The problem with this statement, and why most likely, about 999 people would say no

1. There is no definition of "make some money" (20% return, 100% return???)

2. Your capital is completely tied-up. Basically no liquidity

3. Had these people invested in the Dow 500, five years ago, they would do no work and double their money. Doubling your money on Lego sales is hard work and time consuming

4. Storage

Lego investment discussions are interesting, for sure.

• Like 1

The problem with this statement, and why most likely, about 999 people would say no

1. There is no definition of "make some money" (20% return, 100% return???)

2. Your capital is completely tied-up. Basically no liquidity

3. Had these people invested in the Dow 500, five years ago, they would do no work and double their money. Doubling your money on Lego sales is hard work and time consuming

4. Storage

Lego investment discussions are interesting, for sure.

Be careful with assumptions, the dow and s&p from 2000-2010 had a zero or negative rate of return ignoring inflation.  From 2008- 2013 the s& p just got back to flush from what was lost in the sell off of 2008-2009.  Track the price of the sets mentioned by Emazers from 2008-2013 and you will see that the legos far outperformed the markets with little to know counterparty risk on a risk adjusted basis.  Lack of liquidity by definition relates to expected return.  If I have high liquidity I should expect lower return and the opposite holds true bank account vs. mutual fund vs. real estate vs. commodities.  The probelm I see with Lego investors is that people will invest money they should not, or use leverage to get it.  When the liquidity train comes calling it is always at the wrong time and people "crack" and sell when they should not.  This is exemplified in the stock  market.  People buy and sell on the inverse because their emotions get the better of them.

• Like 2

Be careful with assumptions, the dow and s&p from 2000-2010 had a zero or negative rate of return ignoring inflation.  From 2008- 2013 the s& p just got back to flush from what was lost in the sell off of 2008-2009.  Track the price of the sets mentioned by Emazers from 2008-2013 and you will see that the legos far outperformed the markets with little to know counterparty risk on a risk adjusted basis.  Lack of liquidity by definition relates to expected return.  If I have high liquidity I should expect lower return and the opposite holds true bank account vs. mutual fund vs. real estate vs. commodities.  The probelm I see with Lego investors is that people will invest money they should not, or use leverage to get it.  When the liquidity train comes calling it is always at the wrong time and people "crack" and sell when they should not.  This is exemplified in the stock  market.  People buy and sell on the inverse because their emotions get the better of them.

Well said waddamon