Massive Wholesale Lot Opportunity?

Jeff Mack

Who here is a serious LEGO investor? Here is your opportunity to truly invest in some inventory. Take a look at this large lot of Ninjago.

Wholesale Lot Of 2,000 Packs Lego Ninjago Cole DX Spinjitsu Master (2170)

So that is basically $7.00 a set. If you can sell the set at a retail price, you can still walk away with a nice little profit. Possibly you can offer a little lower to increase your margin. We are currently valuing this sets at close to $12 a piece.

I definitely see what you are saying. If I was to put in an offer in to get the sets for like $5-$6, this could be a good opportunity. Sure it will be a pain to sell all the sets, but I could possible do it in small chunks like lots of 10 or something. It's worth considering as longs as you are ok taking your time selling them. Could be fun :)

Unless you can get it much lower than $7 each not really that great of a deal. If you look at the ebay sales the vast majority are around $11 including shipping. This set is about 4 ounces so you can get cheap shipping which will be $2 to $3 depending on distance, then you add in your ebay fees probably at least $1.50 each so selling cost is around $4 each. $11 minus $4 gives you $7 which is the listing cost right now. At $5 each you would likely make $2 each. Notice I didn't include packaging cost which could be significant. A couple of the recent sales are as high as $15 or $17 including shipping but that seems likely to be because of the time of year. And going back to October and before it does look like prices were lower, all of the high prices are multiple or combined sets (I saw 16 going for $99 or about $6 each). This is a 2011 Ninjago set and may suffer in price next Holiday season if Legends of Chima is shipping. The Legends of Chima TV show is scheduled to start before then. Brickpicker shows a rough average of 30 sales a month, so if you try and push these on the market at by selling 10 each a month you will likely have enough impact to drive the selling price down. Even so, it would take 20 months to sell them all. BTW the listing says the retail value is $30k, that seems incredibly optimistic! At $3 you will likely make a profit, at $4 each it might be iffy. I wonder if the seller is willing to go that low? I think BrickBroker is correct, why even take the risk unless the price is very low to reduce your risk! Big retailers are all about turnover, keep the inventory churning so they can afford lower margins. Smaller retailers like individuals have to go the other way, huge gross margin needed for it to pay off. MINIMUM gross margin should be half of your sales price that means you need to AT LEAST sell it for double your total cost of purchase (including shipping, tax, time, etc.). And the lower the item is priced the higher margin you need to make a profit. On a $10 item you need to pay $3 or preferably less.

Lame deal. Someone is trying to unload 2,000 at once...most likely because they thought they would sell them and earn anywhere from $12-17 each (much like the responses here). Obviously, that has not happened, and now they are trying to unload them quickly. @ $7 each, you're 14K into the deal on a slow burning-low margin item. With this type of market plan, you will only be in business until you run out of money (probably try to liquidate your stock as a last resort like this poor soul). The desire is for a fast burning-low margin item. If the burn rate is too fast, you can increase your margin to slow down the burn to maximize the return, and of course ideally (THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE WITH RETIRED LEGO) you could restock the fast-burner... I know, I know, but all retired LEGO is valuable, right? Wrong, it's not. Most are flat out dogs that under perform, and once you factor in your opportunity cost/loss against your CAGR you're probably taking a paper loss too. I'd bite at $1.50- maybe even go $2 per unit, that would make it worthwhile, but at $7 you should run, not walk away. BrickBroker

I cant help but wonder where the seller got all these.......seems like he is just sells electronics (outdated electronics). Who knows where he got all these sets but probably like stated above he bought them all thinking it would be easy money to resale them and quickly figured out that that was not so much the case!

I also found that pretty suspect. It is a little odd when someone randomly comes up on 2,000 or so battle-packish-value sets. I am not saying that random deals do not often occur, as they do, but usually someone who sells large quantities of something like this would be able to access deals like it again and again. ...My thoughts anyway.

BB