Modular houses - building tips & inspirations

TheOrcKing

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone here tried to MOC their own house?

I'm just starting a project to build my house and garden and current estimate is that it will be 32 studs wide by 128 studs long including garden based on 1 stud = 20cm as standard stair part is 4 studs wide and our stairs are 80cm wide.

Anyone got any tips on building a first moc? Am I best off buying a job lot of random bricks to work out structure before working out exact colours and sizes to order from bricklink? Or working with a lego design tool. if so which one?

Anyone know of any online guides for a project like this?

51 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Has anyone here tried to MOC their own house?

I'm just starting a project to build my house and garden and current estimate is that it will be 32 studs wide by 128 studs long including garden based on 1 stud = 20cm as standard stair part is 4 studs wide and our stairs are 80cm wide.

Anyone got any tips on building a first moc? Am I best off buying a job lot of random bricks to work out structure before working out exact colours and sizes to order from bricklink? Or working with a lego design tool. if so which one?

Anyone know of any online guides for a project like this?

What has worked well for me when designing my own MOCs is having access to a small but diverse set of bricks to mock up key concepts (to see if things actually work), but to do the design fully digitally. If you have a Windows or Mac computer, start with LDD. If you don't, or if you want more flexibility, try LDCad or MLCad - LDCad is more like LDD, MLCad is a powerhouse but a little tricky to master (though the guides at holly-wood.it help a lot). You can then generate parts lists and even make your own instructions (I use LPub) and use those to order what you need and build your design in real life.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Phil B said:

What has worked well for me when designing my own MOCs is having access to a small but diverse set of bricks to mock up key concepts (to see if things actually work), but to do the design fully digitally. If you have a Windows or Mac computer, start with LDD. If you don't, or if you want more flexibility, try LDCad or MLCad - LDCad is more like LDD, MLCad is a powerhouse but a little tricky to master (though the guides at holly-wood.it help a lot). You can then generate parts lists and even make your own instructions (I use LPub) and use those to order what you need and build your design in real life.

Yeah, do this. Definitely try things out using the IRL bricks you have, even if the colors or bricks aren't quite right. But design it as a whole on a design software.

On my only only major project to date (~2200 piece modular), I did the former but not the latter. I ordered a specific quantity of parts for a specific design but once the pieces arrived and I started to piece things together, there were re-designs and I had to make 3-4 waves of BL orders. I could've purchased a (modest) computer just to run the software on then order the parts and it would've been cheaper than doing it the way that I did. At least I ended up with lots of spare bricks hahah

Good luck! We're closing on our first home and building it will be my next project.

• Like 2

On 17/11/2016 at 2:55 PM, Pedilego said:

Yeah, do this. Definitely try things out using the IRL bricks you have, even if the colors or bricks aren't quite right. But design it as a whole on a design software.

On my only only major project to date (~2200 piece modular), I did the former but not the latter. I ordered a specific quantity of parts for a specific design but once the pieces arrived and I started to piece things together, there were re-designs and I had to make 3-4 waves of BL orders. I could've purchased a (modest) computer just to run the software on then order the parts and it would've been cheaper than doing it the way that I did. At least I ended up with lots of spare bricks hahah

Good luck! We're closing on our first home and building it will be my next project.

I have decided to go down this route.  Busy building it up in LDD. As I want different colour interior and exterior walls I'm thinking of having a facade on the outside like wayne manor in Classic 60's batcave.Means more planning up front but better than having to build double thick walls to achieve the look.

I'd say my main difficulty so far is scale windows and doors.  There's just not enough variety available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I have decided to go down this route.  Busy building it up in LDD. As I want different colour interior and exterior walls I'm thinking of having a facade on the outside like wayne manor in Classic 60's batcave.Means more planning up front but better than having to build double thick walls to achieve the look.

I'd say my main difficulty so far is scale windows and doors.  There's just not enough variety available.

You may want to double check both ways... 

Bricklink has a new Beta software out called Stud.io, you can sign up for public beta access. It has the convenient feature of linking to BL, so you can check prices on bricks in real time as you place and colour them. 

My only thought is that getting enough of those big plates to fill a facade, might actually cost more than double layering more common size bricks in two colours. Worth checking the numbers on anyway I think. 

• Like 1