Packing...love the sales/profits, dislike the rest...

I'm about to start selling sets and I was wondering if anyone has tried using ziplock bags, filled with air, for padding?

It seems like a secure way to fill up space with little cost, but I worry about the possibility of them bursting open in transit.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Wouldn't that be more expensive than crumpled paper?  If you don't have existing stuffing paper from bulk purchases...maybe newspapers?  Usually I try to find or have boxes that fit as well as possible to avoid bubble wrap/pillows....usually a few sheets of brown paper or some scrunched around the set to avoid corner damage and on the front+back if the box is a little big.       

I'm about to start selling sets and I was wondering if anyone has tried using ziplock bags, filled with air, for padding?

It seems like a secure way to fill up space with little cost, but I worry about the possibility of them bursting open in transit.

Just buy a set from Yoyo.com once in a while and you never have to worry about padding.  They ship LEGO in oversize boxes with tons of mailing air bags. :)

• Like 1

I zip lock all loose sets I sell, but using them for air bags would get pricey fast.

I know buying boxes isn't for everybody, but it makes the shipping process go  much smoother.  You know before you sell something that you have a box that is the perfect size for your Lego every time.  The $1 that the box cost me is more than worth it when I'm not having to search a giant pile of boxes to find one that is the right size.  I got mine from Staples, I know many others use Uline.  I definitely also re-use boxes as well if they are still in good shape.

I don't buy many boxes.... However there are a lot of benefits to it IMO.

1. Particularly with selling on Amazon, many people think they are buying it from Amazon, not some third party. I try to use only professional looking boxes for these shipments. Otherwise you get people thinking "Somebody made money off me, where could I have found this cheaper?"... Returns cost a lot! I am a strong believer in making your packages look professional puts the customer at ease. 

2. Time saved in cutting down boxes to the right size. This is a pain, can look terrible, and can make the box weaker. 

3. If you can get boxes that are the right size, you need less packing material... saves more $.

Like many things, the upfront cost may be outweighed by hidden savings. 

• Like 2

I don't buy many boxes.... However there are a lot of benefits to it IMO.

1. Particularly with selling on Amazon, many people think they are buying it from Amazon, not some third party. I try to use only professional looking boxes for these shipments. Otherwise you get people thinking "Somebody made money off me, where could I have found this cheaper?"... Returns cost a lot! I am a strong believer in making your packages look professional puts the customer at ease. 

2. Time saved in cutting down boxes to the right size. This is a pain, can look terrible, and can make the box weaker. 

3. If you can get boxes that are the right size, you need less packing material... saves more $.

Like many things, the upfront cost may be outweighed by hidden savings. 

good points/tips.  Yeah, some of my 'home made' or household product boxes don't look professional at all...also a pain to source out.  But luckily customers are happy with condition of sets inside, less picky about outside box.  I've stepped up my game and ordered boxes finally :)  Will make receiving orders less labour intensive.       

Guest brickcrazyhouse

You don't use bubble mailer envelopes?  I know LEGO pieces are very durable but I always ship my minifigures in bubble mailers, though they are a bit more expensive.  You'll have to let me know what you think of the polybags and if you've ever had any issues with them.

I wrap the minifigs in a small bit of bubble wrap and no problems yet