Packing...love the sales/profits, dislike the rest...

I have no idea how people parting sets/pieces do it...10 seconds after reading my notification that I set is sold, my excitement turns to a dull realization, damn...I have to find a box and pack now haha.  Guess for people that sell minifigs and parts, it's about volume and you have a routine down.  And you have to enjoy what you do or else you could get tired of it real soon. 

What are some unusual boxes you have used for shipping common sets?  Or do have a store/site you purchase your new boxes?  Sometimes if I don't have a box available I go to UPS and the lady there would custom cut boxes and wrap it securely for me since most boxes are not the ideal size.  I pay for the box(es) only, so her time and tape used is included.  I'd gladly pay for the service to save time, I know it takes away from my margin.  Amazon/Chapters/Indigo has the best boxes to reuse if you buy single sets but I assume most of us buy in bulk.

Last night I used a cracker box to ship a Captain America set and a DVD box to ship Hulk Helicarrier Breakout - both were PERFECT size.  I usually take pride in packing it well.  I might have to buy more crackers on sale lol.  With these boxes I have to wrap it with the usual brown stuffing paper and stick/write addresses on it which adds to my work.        

when parting out or selling minifigs I use polybags ( not the lego kind)

I sold a new TC 14 in polybag recently...have to admit it was pretty easy...just used the bubble envelope - done.  Don't think I'll get into the parting out or selling minifig business however, just new sets.   

From my limited time of selling, it doesn't seem to matter as much (price-wise) if the box is quite a bit bigger, so I tend to snag extra boxes from Wal-Mart and then use the tons of extra packing bubbles to secure it so no damage occurs.

I refuse to pay money for boxes out of stubbornness.

My experience has been the opposite, especially with larger parcels (Modular Building size) shipped at UPS.  Unless I cut the height of a typical free box down to five or six inches, I'll end up paying $40 or more in shipping; if I modify the box, then I pay under $30.

In that situation, I would be happy to pay $10 for a properly-sized box--more than $10, actually, since cutting boxes is not my idea of fun. :sick:

Guest brickcrazyhouse

yea the mailers won't work for sets.  for those I ask gf (who works overnight at grocery store) to take set with her and finds a perfect size box everytime.  not really much help for those who don't work retail.  people always ask manager to save boxes for them, usually for moving but may want to try asking for the small ones.

I ship 99% of the time by Canada Post (can get free stamps and only sell sets domestically, small time sales) and I know box size will determine my costs for sure.  So the better fit the lower the cost.  I have a ton of bubble wraps/air pillows, paper to use but always prefer a snug fitting box with a little space for extra brown paper lined or scrunched for cushion/added protection.     

when parting out or selling minifigs I use polybags ( not the lego kind)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/lcmailers/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

You don't use bubble mailer envelopes?  I know LEGO pieces are very durable but I always ship my minifigures in bubble mailers, though they are a bit more expensive.  You'll have to let me know what you think of the polybags and if you've ever had any issues with them.

I order enough stuff online every week so I always have tons of free boxes and packing materials. Hardest is to find boxes wide enough to hold the larger sets. Helps to order Legos online. Sometimes I just peel off all the labels and use the same box to ship the set out.

Start ordering all your non perishable groceries online and you'll have plenty of boxes!

Edit to add: I've found that past a certain weight UPS is cheaper than USPS. I only ship priority mail and keeping shipping cost down is always a pain.

I order enough stuff online every week so I always have tons of free boxes and packing materials. Hardest is to find boxes wide enough to hold the larger sets. Helps to order Legos online. Sometimes I just peel off all the labels and use the same box to ship the set out.

Start ordering all your non perishable groceries online and you'll have plenty of boxes!

Edit to add: I've found that past a certain weight UPS is cheaper than USPS. I only ship priority mail and keeping shipping cost down is always a pain.

Yup, I peel off labels on boxes to reuse too. 

I think most buyers could care less what kind of outside box gets shipped to them...just as long as the product inside is secured and as described on the listing.  Another time I used an electric dual burner thingy box I found in the basement for a med set and a beef patty box for a small set haha.  If you're a vegetarian/vegan you might be grossed out by the beef patty box your Lego came in -  It was the perfect fit however lol.  I think if I was selling used sets/pieces it would be a different story :)   

Guest TabbyBoy

Buyers are so demanding these days that a set HAS to go in a box with bubble wrap, a padded envelope just won't do.  I salvage large boxes and simply cut them down to the exact size needed (less than 8cm thick) allowing for 2 layers of bubble wrap inside.  Any bigger, and our post office charges extra as there's a massive difference in cost between small/medium/large parcels.  I used to buy in boxes but, they are way too expensive now.  If I sell a used set, it simply goes into a padded envelope without the box.

I know buying boxes isn't for everybody, but it makes the shipping process go  much smoother.  You know before you sell something that you have a box that is the perfect size for your Lego every time.  The $1 that the box cost me is more than worth it when I'm not having to search a giant pile of boxes to find one that is the right size.  I got mine from Staples, I know many others use Uline.  I definitely also re-use boxes as well if they are still in good shape.

If you take an inventory of what you have and are likely to resell, get the dimensions from brickset, then you can order the boxes from places like staples. I pay approximately $1.00 per box, which is worth it to know that it will fit with a little wiggle room for filler.

I've also tried to streamline what I resell so that I only have to have a few box sizes on hand. Things like the Fireplane are longer than average and dont fit in any boxes I have on hand.

Buyers are so demanding these days that a set HAS to go in a box with bubble wrap, a padded envelope just won't do.  I salvage large boxes and simply cut them down to the exact size needed (less than 8cm thick) allowing for 2 layers of bubble wrap inside.  Any bigger, and our post office charges extra as there's a massive difference in cost between small/medium/large parcels.  I used to buy in boxes but, they are way too expensive now.  If I sell a used set, it simply goes into a padded envelope without the box.

I never sold an used/open set before...so I imagine I would be less sensitive, as long as the bag is sealed and eveything is in there.  Don't really know the UK market or anywhere outside Canada really, but so far (knock on wood) my Canadian buyers are 'normal' and happy...no complaints, just positive feedback, no inquires or questions, people just buy which is ideal.  I will dread that first return, dispute or missing package which happens to everybody at some point.      

With new sets, I like to pack it well so the corners/box remains in excellent/mint condition.

I reuse Amazon shipping boxes. best thing for me.

As for smaller sets like the CAP'****** - I bought some like 4inch by 4 inch shipping boxes off ebay. I think it was like 40 cents a box. They are pretty nice and they only weight 2 ounces I think?

If you take an inventory of what you have and are likely to resell, get the dimensions from brickset, then you can order the boxes from places like staples. I pay approximately $1.00 per box, which is worth it to know that it will fit with a little wiggle room for filler.

I've also tried to streamline what I resell so that I only have to have a few box sizes on hand. Things like the Fireplane are longer than average and dont fit in any boxes I have on hand.

Good tips guys (including Huskers1236).  Non of my local Staples have box sizes I want so might have to look online to source it. 

I never sold an used/open set before...so I imagine I would be less sensitive, as long as the bag is sealed and eveything is in there.  Don't really know the UK market or anywhere outside Canada really, but so far (knock on wood) my Canadian buyers are 'normal' and happy...no complaints, just positive feedback, no inquires or questions, people just buy which is ideal.  I will dread that first return, dispute or missing package which happens to everybody at some point.      

With new sets, I like to pack it well so the corners/box remains in excellent/mint condition.

Good tips guys (including Huskers1236).  Non of my local Staples have box sizes I want so might have to look online to source it. 

I bought all mine from Staples.com.  Free shipping once you spend a certain amount, can't remember how much.  I don't think they are quite as thick as Uline, but there is a cost savings.

• Like 1

I actually started looking into getting boxes for sets this morning in prepeation for selling sets over Easter. After looking on eBay for boxes I took the route of having some custom made, after shipping the cost is about 2 quid shipped for a box big enough for a batcave, but I get the size for helms deep etc so at least I can use them for other sts, I don't think I have a set with a bigger box, then iwillmake get some boxes for sets the size of funhouse that I will use for sets down othe 20 dollar sets. Finding the right boxes can be a pain, I think it's worth it.

Yeah i could never run a online lego store that sold pieces, so much time commitment i would end up hating lego. i instead just sell retired sets, its actually a bit more of a hassle as the packaging is larger, but i keep all the boxes the sets are shipped in, i have a spare bathroom literally filled with boxes to the ceiling. The small sets can be dropped in the blue mail boxes but anything 13+ oz has to be dropped off at a post office which is a bit of a hassle as well but when you only sell like 1-2 sets a month and you make say on average $100 per set its worth it.

quick question to investors/flippers of the Hulk Helicarrier Breakout/Batmobile Two Face Chase...what box dimensions do you buy for this?  And which online store?  I bought some boxes from Staples.ca for my most common set sizes.  Can't seem to buy a 'snug' fit box for the Hulk/TwoFace set.  I believe the measurement is 18.9"x11.1"x2.4", maybe it's just me but the closest size has too much space so I will have to use extra filler.  Do other people use the best available bigger box too or cut boxes for custom fit (but more time/energy wasted)?  First couple replies/answers will get a 'like' :)  Thanks. 

quick question to investors/flippers of the Hulk Helicarrier Breakout/Batmobile Two Face Chase...what box dimensions do you buy for this?  And which online store?  I bought some boxes from Staples.ca for my most common set sizes.  Can't seem to buy a 'snug' fit box for the Hulk/TwoFace set.  I believe the measurement is 18.9"x11.1"x2.4", maybe it's just me but the closest size has too much space so I will have to use extra filler.  Do other people use the best available bigger box too or cut boxes for custom fit (but more time/energy wasted)?  First couple replies/answers will get a 'like' :)  Thanks. 

I ordered the 20" x 14" x 4" to accommodate these sets.  I'm not sure I'd want to go much smaller than that.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

LEGO should give more thought to resellers by placing each set in its own perfectly sized double-walled box before shipping to us.  Their Simpsons box contains 2 sets, how about one that contains just one? ;-)

LEGO should give more thought to resellers by placing each set in its own perfectly sized double-walled box before shipping to us.  Their Simpsons box contains 2 sets, how about one that contains just one? ;-)

Yeah, I think some resellers would certainly pay a little extra if there was a 'gift' option that lets you have sets individually boxes on bulk orders :)  Or I guess order one set at a time.  But generally the vast majority of resellers buy bulk instore and/or at other retailers.   

The Ewok Village box contains 2 sets as well.