Bulk vintage bin find

Cetona

I had an awesome find over the weekend I wanted to share. A guy posted that he was selling all his childhood LEGO from the mid-80's. There were about 8 different sets he said were in there, including the 6399 airport shuttle, but I really had no idea since it was all jumbled together. I saw a few pieces of monorail track, so I took a chance and bought the bin for $100.

I've been sorting through everything, and the 6399 was in there pretty much complete, including the motor which still works. I've been sorting the rest of it and have found 6390 Main Street, 6375 trans air carrier, and 6368 jet airliner. He also says the 7720 diesel freight train and 5580 big rig are in there, as well as some smaller sets, but I haven't sorted those yet. The sets so far are only missing a few minor pieces, which I should be able to bricklink cheaply. Overall I've been thrilled with the purchase, and never knew much about vintage LEGO so it's been fun to just go through it all.

With the monorail I'd look at parting it out, motor, track, the train base, it will take you days, seriously 20 hours hard slog to build it, sets like these can get you a similar return parting it out than building the set.  Have fun with the big-rig, its a great set that's sells quite quick.  With all my parts sorted into separate boxes, it still took me a day and a half to build. but was worth it.

Here's a few photos for those who are interested. I had the monorail all set up but it took up so much room I had to disassemble all the track while I sort everything else. I'll post some more pics as I get things sorted.

You're definitely right about the monorail - it took a while to sort everything, but half the fun for me was putting together these old sets that I've never had a chance to see before. The track alone can go for $15-20 for a straight piece and the motor can go for around $50 so that probably would have been easier to sell like that. The monorail is so cool though that I'm tempted to keep it and just sell some of the other sets to recoup my initial investment and make a little profit.

post-14272-0-39829200-1391798399_thumb.j

post-14272-0-70927100-1391798410_thumb.j

post-14272-0-47211600-1391798429_thumb.j

• Like 1