Whens the sweet spot to sell Wolverine 6866?

SO I have been going back and fourth with this set on when might be the best time to think about selling.

I believe a new Wolverine set with Magneto and Wolverine comes out later this year. In the mean time, this set is already up around $50 on Ebay and climbing.

I am thinking if the new Wolverine sets come out in the fall, this would be a good sell at $60 or more in the summer.

But if they come out sooner rather than later, the big time growth could stop.

On the other hand, maybe it wont have a huge effect and this set will continue to soar for several years.

What are people's thought? Honestly I am bored with the lack of deals lately so I am just doing some pondering... for fun!

I have been having similar thoughts about this set.  Here is how I look at it...

I have ten of these sealed, and six sets of loose minifigures.  It's easy to get caught up wondering how high this (or other sets like it) will climb.  But the way I figure it, I got these sets for $16.15 each on Amazon, and I'm guessing a lot of other people did too.  If I got $50 each for half of them right now, that's a heck of a win.  If the value jumps up to $75, then I get that for the other half.  But if the value goes back down to say...$35, then I can feel good knowing that at least I got $50 each for half of them.

That's the tricky part about this investment game; you always have to wonder what is going to happen to the value of a set when there are future sets in line that seem likely to have an impact.  What if the new versions Wolvie and Magneto do bring the values down?  Who really knows?

It's very easy to get caught up in the idea of selling a $16 set for $75.  But we have to stay realistic and be open to the idea that that day may never come, due to one factor or another, unforeseen or otherwise.  If you sell that set now for $50, you can feel good knowing that you tripled your price, and walk away with the satisfaction of having done so.  You also just freed up that money to put into the next thing.  Something to think about...  I know I spend an awful lot of time thinking about this.

patience is my weakness :) I sold a few already...when local buyers pay $50 cash with no fees, delivery etc., I might as well flip them.  Easy cash and +100% ROI.  I use the money for other sets/pay down the inventory.  Set has nice minifigs and will likely go up even further but I prefer to take the gain now and reinvest vs wait for a couple months for possibily more profit.  That's just me as a small time investore/flipper.  

I had the opportunity to buy 15 more at regular retail price just 1-2wks ago (can still make a decent profit) but waited and was too late :(  Will try to keep a couple for personal collection.           

One more quick point to make... the other day I finally sold my Diagon Alley for $250.  I bought it for a modest discount of $125 within a couple months of its retirement. So obviously after fees and everything, I didn't quite double my investment, but I made a good chunk of money.

That sale freed up enough money to 100% cover the purchase of 4 Lone Ranger Trains for $49 each.  I know this is a personal preference, but here is my question to everyone:

What would you rather have moving forward?  One Diagon Alley, or four Constitution Trains?  My hunch is that down the road, I will come to find that exchanging the one Diagon Alley for four Trains was a very good move.

• Like 2

I'd like to make $40-50 net per set---whether that's feasible, not sure.  All of mine were purchased at 13.98 or less, most in the $13 range.  $75 sale price nets me $45 or so....that's ideal.  Not sure how high it can go.  Deadpool's the key.  I'll start paying attention when it gets $60+.

I have started selling at $50 and plan on raising my price $5 after each one sells.  I have 15 to go through, and I am worried about growth with all the new sets and repetition of minifigures.  I will still have 5 once my price hits $100, so I am comfortable if there is huge long term growth.  At $50, I can buy 2 or 3 more of the other $20 super hero sets and keep the inventory growing.

What would you rather have moving forward?  One Diagon Alley, or four Constitution Trains?  My hunch is that down the road, I will come to find that exchanging the one Diagon Alley for four Trains was a very good move.

Investment aside, personally I would prefer 1 Diagon Alley, just harder for me to get/buy locally vs the trains.  But from a strictly objective $ amount, I would guess the 4 trains should fetch more cash combined. I missed out on the HP sets. 

I can almost apply this same topic to Shelob Attacks...retired...don't know how high this can go, but locally people are paying me $40 each so any chance I get it's being flipped for sure at +100% ROI.  Maybe I just get lucky with good customers sometimes.  It not worth it (for me) to sell wolverine for $50 and Shelob for $40 online after fees etc but local exchange it's great ROI.       

I think the Wolvie and Magneto figs are going to be different enough from the new releases that the new releases won't affect them much. Also as long as Deadpool doesn't come back that figure alone will carry the set. I have sold a few of mine in the 40-45 dollar range for some profit taking, and have one listed at 50 right now on ebay. I like to sell and as inventor dwindles raise the price on the sets every time I sell one until they are gone. I think the set for sure hits $60-70, so if you can wait and don't mind holding the inventory that is probably when I would start selling.

I only have 2 of these left. Parted out a few and sold one at my cost ($13) to a friend. But I have been thinking the same thing. I am thinking of listing my other 2 for $50+ shipping and putting that money towards a VW Camper. And doing it sooner rather than later. (Might take a few weeks or months to sell, but I

• Like 3

Investment aside, personally I would prefer 1 Diagon Alley, just harder for me to get/buy locally vs the trains.  But from a strictly objective $ amount, I would guess the 4 trains should fetch more cash combined. I missed out on the HP sets. 

Without a doubt, Diagon Alley is the better of the two sets.  There are also going to be far fewer of those on the secondary market.  But as you said, speaking from a strictly overall monetary standpoint, 5 trains are going to be worth more overall.

It all depends on each person's individual goals.  Most people would prefer to sell one set, as opposed to five.  It is far less work to get your money out of it.  A lot of people look at it this way, and that is terrific.  It really is the smartest way to do it.  But for me, I am selling crap on eBay all day every day.  The difference between one and five sales means very little to me.  I am keeping the end $$$ amount in mind, so I am willing to put in the extra work.  :D

One more quick point to make... the other day I finally sold my Diagon Alley for $250.  I bought it for a modest discount of $125 within a couple months of its retirement. So obviously after fees and everything, I didn't quite double my investment, but I made a good chunk of money.

That sale freed up enough money to 100% cover the purchase of 4 Lone Ranger Trains for $49 each.  I know this is a personal preference, but here is my question to everyone:

This is pretty much the net of my investment strategy/question I ask on every set. I try to keep one of everything for my collection, and then anything extra is part of my investments and I try to make this guess impartially.

To answer the OP, I also sometimes apply a strategy where with a set like this, I have 8 of them, I look at my average cost paid, and if I can "pay" for the lot of them by selling 2, so I'm freerolling on the other 6, then that's a time to sell. I am thinking when this hits $60 which it looks like it will, i will sell a few.

also, when you refer to selling locally I assume you all are referring to craigslist?...

yes, any local ads that are free.  Just have to coordinate time and place to meet...obviously there are horror stories about face-to-face exchanges but knock on wood so far all my buyes are normal folks :) 

I only have 2 of these left. Parted out a few and sold one at my cost ($13) to a friend. But I have been thinking the same thing. I am thinking of listing my other 2 for $50+ shipping and putting that money towards a VW Camper. And doing it sooner rather than later. (Might take a few weeks or months to sell, but I

I think the Wolvie and Magneto figs are going to be different enough from the new releases that the new releases won't affect them much. Also as long as Deadpool doesn't come back that figure alone will carry the set.

I think you're absolutely right.  It looks like the new set has a masked brown suit Wolverine and a more modern Magneto.  Certainly some people will settle for the newer versions due to price, but I think comic fans are going to really want both.  Deadpool has a huge following also and he is unlikely to be back again.  I think this set will continue to climb, though maybe not as fast once the new X-men set comes out.  I really can't see it going down in price, so I'm going to hold the 7 I have in hopes that they get to $70-75 eventually.   

The way I look at it , there comes a time that I have to make a decision whether that extra 5-10$ in few months justify the hold or am I better served investing the money in another set and making 20-30$ more in the same amount of time. Right now there are so many opportunities out there that I'm willing to sell @ 55$ and invest the money in other sets

SO I have been going back and fourth with this set on when might be the best time to think about selling.

I believe a new Wolverine set with Magneto and Wolverine comes out later this year. In the mean time, this set is already up around $50 on Ebay and climbing.

I am thinking if the new Wolverine sets come out in the fall, this would be a good sell at $60 or more in the summer.

But if they come out sooner rather than later, the big time growth could stop.

On the other hand, maybe it wont have a huge effect and this set will continue to soar for several years.

What are people's thought? Honestly I am bored with the lack of deals lately so I am just doing some pondering... for fun!

this is a 2 yr hold especially since when the next one comes out it will be a diff costume. the yellow is his popular costume with comic fans.  if a movie related one does arrive, he'll most likely be in black.  appearing in his brown one is a long-shot.

the next magneto is a diff version.

deadpool is icing on the cake.

i'm holding all of mine for 2 years.

I sold two to fellow Canucks this week, at $55 and $60 with free shipping.  Shipping ran just over $10, so I'm not making a ton of profit.  I think this set might plateau around $60 or so for a bit as lots of people sell off.  I think $75-80 is reasonable after that period.  Maybe by this coming holiday season we'll see it past $70?

This isn't the first Capt America set or even The Hulk Heli set. This one will be a grand slam.

I'm going on the record by begging fellow Brickpickers to hold onto this set for 2 years for an outstanding profit. Wolverine is prob the 3rd most popular Marval char after Spidey and the Hulk when it comes to sustainability. Furthermore, this set has flown under the radar since it's release because everyone want Avengers gaga. Within 2 years, it will be $100.

Pretty much this:

this is a 2 yr hold especially since when the next one comes out it will be a diff costume. the yellow is his popular costume with comic fans.  if a movie related one does arrive, he'll most likely be in black.  appearing in his brown one is a long-shot.

the next magneto is a diff version.

deadpool is icing on the cake.

i'm holding all of mine for 2 years.

Though new to LEGO investing, from what I know about Marvel collectibles (a lot), the yellow costume is the most iconic, so this version will most likely be the most collectible, especially because it comes with Wolvie's iconic chopper. The Magneto also stays true to the comic costume, and Deadpool (as far as I know) is exclusive to the set. I don't believe that this set has hit it's plateau yet, and I don't think the next release will impact the price much over time.