Getting a US address

kvasir

I used to have such a thing until a good friend moved just across the border (obviously that is ideal!) but it is definitely worth it for very large sets and exclusives that are way more expensive up here.  I can't recommend getting a US address enough - totally worth it.  I timed my pick-ups to be more than 48 hrs and would bring my wife so I could really fill up the car with sets.

• Like 1

I have used http://www.kinek.com and it works pretty well.

It's a service for receiving and holding your stuff, they have various points just south of the US-Can border. That implies you need to go grab it, and pay importation duties on the way back (ouch!).

The last time, they charged $28 for holding my stuff (I was also charged some $200 in importation duties).

• Like 1

Lego won't ship to third party addresses such as Kinek (Target, Walmart, Amazon, Toys R US will though). I know because I tried and I received a cancel notice telling me that they don't ship to parcel forwarding/holding business. I never tried MyUS.com though... That one sure looks interesting since it gives you a unique address that Lego wouldn't be able to track.

Lego won't ship to third party addresses such as Kinek (Target, Walmart, Amazon, Toys R US will though).

Good to know.

Don't tell LEGO about MyUS though. All MyUS address looks like this:

4283 Express Lane

Suite XXXXXX

Sarasota, FL 34238

I'm not sure LEGO will deliver to MyUS. I just got the address today and I don't see any US-exclusive set I want to buy right now. But coincidentally I'm ordering something from http://www.oyosportstoys.com/ which are LEGO compatible minifigures. Oyo will not ship to Canada. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ph4tb0i

used CBI but since the exchange rate has started sucking I've stopped buying from the US (much more advantageous for me to buy on the Canadian side as I am tax exempt for everything here:D)

• 1 month later...

I just want to report on my experience with MyUS.

Back in February I've received both my shipments from Oyo via MyUS promptly and no problem. I should've made both orders at the same time but whatever, stupidity on my part.

What they do is they'd receive your shipment from the merchant; open it; and then stuff it in a box; slap on your real Canadian address with the value of the item and ship it to you. In the case the merchant's invoice doesn't include the value they'd send you an email to declare the value on your online account before they would ship it. Shipping cost is higher than it would were I get it directly from the merchant, of course. But the point is, the merchant won't ship it to you in the first place.

Good to know.

Don't tell LEGO about MyUS though. All MyUS address looks like this:

4283 Express Lane
Suite XXXXXX
Sarasota, FL 34238

I'm not sure LEGO will deliver to MyUS. I just got the address today and I don't see any US-exclusive set I want to buy right now. But coincidentally I'm ordering something from http://www.oyosportstoys.com/ which are LEGO compatible minifigures. Oyo will not ship to Canada. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

• 4 months later...

man this would be the perfect business opportunity for someone to just open up a big warehouse with nothing but dropboxes with locks in it for canadians to use as US addresses for getting cheap Lego, hell you could probably build the entire place for free in somewhere like North Dakota, I doubt the antelopes and buffalo care

• Like 1

Any Canadian here has used MyUS.com or other similar service to get a US address to buy US-exclusive sets or other merchandise where they won't ship to Canada?

Used to, quite allot!  it's just a $30 drive across the border & back from here & since everything was about 30% cheaper on the southern side a single big set paid for the trip (also with such cheap gas in NY state a fillup was probably another $15-$20 in savings).  Places like "the UPS store" (not directly part of UPS) will receive your package & charge $5 a box/week storage... but about a year ago Lego blacklisted all the third party shipping addresses - they seem to be the only one, pretty much every one else ships without problems.  Lego also refuses to ship to secure POboxes as well so direct shipping from TLG has nearly disappeared for me now adays (luckily there are cheaper alternatives anyways).

I have a friend that had an address in Delaware, which is a tax free state, he had all the LEGOs shipped there. (From Walmart, Target, Amazon...) But not from LEGO.com, since LEGO Shop at Home blacklisted that address already. But if you need that information, PM me. I am not sure how much he charge, i guess $5 a box? but at least you save tax if you order more.

man this would be the perfect business opportunity for someone to just open up a big warehouse with nothing but dropboxes with locks in it for canadians to use as US addresses for getting cheap Lego, hell you could probably build the entire place for free in somewhere like North Dakota, I doubt the antelopes and buffalo care

I have found with the US dollar at about 11% higher, shipping to a taxed state and then bringing it across the border almost makes no sense any more, unless you are taking advantage of some of Amazon's BOGOHO or BOGO40Off sales.

I have found with the US dollar at about 11% higher, shipping to a taxed state and then bringing it across the border almost makes no sense any more, unless you are taking advantage of some of Amazon's BOGOHO or BOGO40Off sales.

Pretty much. I figured this out on the weekend. Had to pay 10.75 at the border to pick up commercial goods which was 2exos and a space needle, $5 at the freight company and I was lucky that the Canadian border didn't send me in to pay duty. In the end I really only saved money on the space needle because it was approx. 26% off on amazon.com and the Exos worked out to be the same cdn. retail, or close to it. At a difference of 10% or more, it just isn't worth it for Canadians.

That is a Hugeee Bussines in the south border, I pay $180 a year to a place in Laredo, Tx and they receive all my mail and stuff I order online, (except from Lego LEGO Shop at Home, as they stopped sending to such service providers...)    They charge you an annual fee and $3 USD for each package received..... and that place is always packed of people picking up their stuff......  If someone wants to invest in such a business in the US-CAN Border let me know !!!

Lego won't ship to third party addresses such as Kinek (Target, Walmart, Amazon, Toys R US will though). I know because I tried and I received a cancel notice telling me that they don't ship to parcel forwarding/holding business. I never tried MyUS.com though... That one sure looks interesting since it gives you a unique address that Lego wouldn't be able to track.

They officially don't. I have used third party addresses before. Sometimes it got through the system and the order was shipped, sometimes it didn't and the order was cancelled. Not consistent.

That is a Hugeee Bussines in the south border, I pay $180 a year to a place in Laredo, Tx and they receive all my mail and stuff I order online, (except from Lego LEGO Shop at Home, as they stopped sending to such service providers...)    They charge you an annual fee and $3 USD for each package received..... and that place is always packed of people picking up their stuff......  If someone wants to invest in such a business in the US-CAN Border let me know !!!

I have shipped to one on the US-CAN border, so I'm certain that many already exist.

Pretty much. I figured this out on the weekend. Had to pay 10.75 at the border to pick up commercial goods which was 2exos and a space needle, $5 at the freight company and I was lucky that the Canadian border didn't send me in to pay duty. In the end I really only saved money on the space needle because it was approx. 26% off on amazon.com and the Exos worked out to be the same cdn. retail, or close to it. At a difference of 10% or more, it just isn't worth it for Canadians.

There's a possibility of paying duty? I thought we had free trade...

There are a large number of 'mailbox' locations along the border that Canadians have goods shipped to and we cross the border to pick them up. Usually they charge $2-3 per box to hold. (which is why you make sure Amazon holds everything and ships at once instead of individually as they are available)

But to build on your idea I had thought an interesting business was to have a warehouse in Portland (tax free state) that not only took your shipments, but also stored them for long term. Furthermore why not have them act as a fulfillment centre. 3 years later you sell the set on ebay and have them take care of shipping it to the buyer. I don't actually *need* to touch/hold/feel/gaze at my investments sets - too much temptation anyways...

Unfortunately the logistics are such that I doubt it would ever take off or be cost effective. But nice to fantasize about.

There's a possibility of paying duty? I thought we had free trade...

At the border, they collect taxes and duty. They are very different and have different rules.

Taxes: on everything you bring back across the border unless you've qualified for a personal exemption due to the length of your stay.

Duty: personal exemption applies here as well, but if you've exceeded or don't have one, specific types of goods or goods NOT MANUFACTURED in Canada, US or Mexico have duty applied to them. For example, all electronics and toys are DUTY EXEMPT. One common item that people don't consider is clothing.. shirts, shoes, jackets, etc. Don't remove the label either because if you do they must assume duty applies (yep, I had an aunt do that once).

The one common exception is food... Unless you're bringing back a truck full of food, you can usually leave out the $ spent on food from your personal totals. When I've done the border pickup, I often stop at the local grocer to buy some pop and other items we don't have on our shelves. I declare them every time and I've never been asked to pay taxes on it.

They officially don't. I have used third party addresses before. Sometimes it got through the system and the order was shipped, sometimes it didn't and the order was cancelled. Not consistent.

Are you talking about third party addresses in the US from a US buyer? I think the trigger is a Canadian billing address to a US parcel-holder-service address. Some of them are pretty easy to identify.. like the one I use for eBay purchases. "Mike's Parcel Pickup" :)

Are you talking about third party addresses in the US from a US buyer? I think the trigger is a Canadian billing address to a US parcel-holder-service address. Some of them are pretty easy to identify.. like the one I use for eBay purchases. "Mike's Parcel Pickup" :)

Oh god, yes that is obvious. And yes, third party addresses in the US from orders in the US. But then, I didn't ever ship to the name of the forwarding company, just my name and box number. Well, until I was banned.

At the border, they collect taxes and duty. They are very different and have different rules.

Taxes: on everything you bring back across the border unless you've qualified for a personal exemption due to the length of your stay.

Duty: personal exemption applies here as well, but if you've exceeded or don't have one, specific types of goods or goods NOT MANUFACTURED in Canada, US or Mexico have duty applied to them. For example, all electronics and toys are DUTY EXEMPT. One common item that people don't consider is clothing.. shirts, shoes, jackets, etc. Don't remove the label either because if you do they must assume duty applies (yep, I had an aunt do that once).

The one common exception is food... Unless you're bringing back a truck full of food, you can usually leave out the $ spent on food from your personal totals. When I've done the border pickup, I often stop at the local grocer to buy some pop and other items we don't have on our shelves. I declare them every time and I've never been asked to pay taxes on it.

I see that now. I went to Canada's duties and taxes page and realized the rate varied depending on province of residence. Sorry, British Columbia, you pay way more than Alberta!