79010 Goblin Battle close to EOL ?

Flopped? BP price wise it seems to be performing ok across all markets at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Yes, it is mostly a flop.  That is why it's so easy to find it heavily discounted.  Most people feel it is way overpriced at $100.  These things sit on the shelves at Walmarts forever at $69.  To me, that is a very telling sign.  This set doesn't have many factors that make it super appealing.

My take is that it is similar in structure to Mines of Moria. And as I recall there was alot of distaste for that set but now it is performing fine.

I hope the same goes for goblin king. I don't expect it to match Moria but I think it will do fine down the road especially if you can get it for 30-50% off...

Don't get me wrong, I think the Goblin King will go up in value.  Technically, it is still the largest Hobbit set to date, and the large ones always do well.  If you were/are able to grab a Goblin King at $69 or $47, or any of the other low prices out there, you will do fine on your investment.

I think the logic of how a non eol set is perforning is not very accurate. I remember seeing piles of black pearls and harry potter at clearance 30-50% off. Goblin king is a solid set. Retailers are not resellers. Their shelf space is expensive and they have to get rid of excess stock. People have an odd view on this.

I think the logic of how a non eol set is perforning is not very accurate. I remember seeing piles of black pearls and harry potter at clearance 30-50% off. Goblin king is a solid set. Retailers are not resellers. Their shelf space is expensive and they have to get rid of excess stock. People have an odd view on this.

You make a great point about shelf prices not being a good indicator of EOL values.  To expand on my point a little though, even when the Black Pearl was on clearance, people would see it and say, "Wow, what a cool set!"  When people see the Goblin King, it's more like, "Meh...this is ok.  Wow, $100?  I would never pay that much for this."  That's more of what I mean when I said earlier that this set is largely a flop.  People just don't seem to care about it.  I still think it will perform well enough later though.  There are always going to be the people who miss out on things when they were available, so they turn to the secondary market and pay inflated prices.

Exactly, clearance and sales are not bad....widespread reports of a severely discounted set rotting on shelves everywhere is an indication that demand is just not there. Especially now where lego has trouble staying on the shelves at retail.

On the flip side it also means that not many people are hoarding the set.

It can be a double edged sword. If retailers have loads stock piled it can take months for them to off load. Like amazon with 9472 & 9476. They went EOL in July but remained as 30% off until November time. They are both going up now but are still to hit RRP. But both of these traded on eBay at a much higher discount than Goblin Battle does.

If you can get them at a 50% off then you are unlikely to make a loss. And I bought 2 of these for the price of one helms Deep.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

John Lewis has over 800 of these in stock online so it could take a while to see any decent return on this set, its reduced to 69.99 although it was 50 quid for quite a while.  It could be a candidate for one of their 75% off sales come Easter time.  I think its an ok set, 8 figures, one of which is a maxi fig.  The set was released at end of 2012, it's only been around 14 months.