Just need to vent....

justgod

I have been picking up a few sets here and there on ebay recently. I would love to know the mentality of some of these sellers when it comes to shipping. When I ship a set, I typically will double box it or at the very least add another layer of cardboard to all sides and top/bottom. I have received two sets in the last week that were a larger LEGO box. One person wrapped it twice in small bubble wrap and then in brown paper. The second one (and this really blows me away) sent my 7327 wrapped in Christmas paper. Nothing more. And Parcel Post. From the East coast to CA. What the hell are these people thinking? Needless the say, both were crushed. What really torques me is that I have a form letter that I send to every seller explaining past history and asking them if they would be sure to protect the set well. Do they listen? In most cases, yes. However, it just takes having to deal the hassle of returning or filing an insurance a couple of times to forget the others that take the time. Thank you for listening.

...I have received two sets in the last week that were a larger LEGO box. One person wrapped it twice in small bubble wrap and then in brown paper. The second one (and this really blows me away) sent my 7327 wrapped in Christmas paper. Nothing more. And Parcel Post. From the East coast to CA. What the hell are these people thinking? Needless the say, both were crushed...

Apparently some people think that either 1) you only care about the contents (someone who just wants to play with the bricks (discounting investors/collectors) or 2) that the Post Office clerks gently pick-up and set-down the packages, like you would from store shelf to a shopping cart.

I am glad I didn't have that experience yet. I just got a Winter Toy Shop off of eBay purchase and the box was inside a slightly larger box with extra cardboard on all sides. Somewhat acceptable, but I think it would not fare so well if one of the corners got crumpled.

I guess the lesson is to tell them packaging/shipping specifics by e-mail or they risk a refund. If that's possible. What were their feedback ratings like? Maybe I should pay closer attention to that in the future.

Miro

Feedback scores were great. As far as the returns, it is like pulling teeth. In both cases, they both offered a refund if I shipped the set back, at my expense of course. I had to escalate via PayPal and they actually paid for the return shipping. I was so irritated I thought about standing on the boxes to give them extra "screw you crush factor", but changed my mind. As for the feedback threat, neither had posted feedback for me and I don't want to hurt the 100% I have by having them leave negative for me. However, it may help if I add that part in to my letter to see if it helps. I am sure this all comes with the territory, but it never ceases to amaze me.

As for the feedback threat, neither had posted feedback for me and I don't want to hurt the 100% I have by having them leave negative for me. However, it may help if I add that part in to my letter to see if it helps.

Sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore. Ebay changed it so that buyers don't get screwed every time a seller is a moron.

This is a far too common issue with certain moronic sellers on EBAY. I've had the same issue happen to me about ten times and have had mixed results. Some sellers give a nice refund and let you keep the set, others I have to battle it out and threaten poor feedback. Regardless, it's a pain in the @$$.

Sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore. Ebay changed it so that buyers don't get screwed every time a seller is a moron.

This I feel is crap too, though. I am tired of non-bidders on ebay, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it as a seller. You file a report, they get a "mark" on their record, big freakin deal!

I also completely agree with everything that has been said though, too. I received a QAR about a month ago that was only in brown paper, nothing else. As you can imagine, it was FUBAR'd. I was planning on building this one anyway, so while I told the seller I was pissed, there was little I could do about it, but send it back and eat the return shipping, which would have been around $15.

I think the worst is when they are smart enough to take insurance. Then I have to deal with filing a claim and following up on it. I am very close with our small town USPS office, and I have specifically advised them on a set or two to actually deny the claim. They shouldn't be responsible for the inept.

This I feel is crap too, though. I am tired of non-bidders on ebay, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it as a seller. You file a report, they get a "mark" on their record, big freakin deal!

I describe the options for shipping in my listing, partially because I ship internationally and a few ounces can make a HUGE difference. My default rate is for the set box bubble-wrapped and/or air bagged inside another box, but if a buyer wants just the set box or even just the parts and instructions I make it known that these are possible. A 24x16x4 outer box adds about 2 lbs and some folks prefer just to do without it. But would I send a QAR in a paper bag without being asked? Not a chance.