10241 - Maersk Triple-E

jamike08

If you are going to pass this up, I'd buy, my dad was a maritime guy and he would love this ship for his shelves. I absolutely love this set. Beautiful colors and the size is crazy cool. I say go for it just for a rebuild experience and the opportunity to have a set that is very unique in your grasp.

• 5 months later...

Isn't it a LEGO Shop at Home exclusive ? (at least to this point)

I think you are right Biniou. For now. Hope it stays that way. I am planning to buy one of these every now and then. 

There are a lot of boat/ship fanatics in the world. And this is a great piece!

Guest TabbyBoy

The 3E appears to be a true Lego exclusive in the UK and not sold by every other Tom, **** & Harry like other so-called "exclusives".  Large true exclusives are all I buy now and this is going to be a cracker and looks like it may not be around long.  It's also so much better than the previous one with its horrible stepped bow.  Even when it sells out occasionally, its value soon rises on eBay.

I saw it in lego stores when it was first released but in the last month or two I have not seen it anywhere in the US in stores. I have ordered 2 from shop at home (both during balloon cart). The US limit at shop at home is 2 so wonder if it is worth pushing my luck to order more down the road when the cooper is an available promo....

Hmm

Under what I heard from Lego employees: This is being shifted to online only and not at retail outlets - If this is true, stocking up on this one will be difficult.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

If this is true and they don't shift to other retailers, this set could be a gold mine when it goes EOL. I think it is a winner anyway, but this only adds to that. The Maersk train was one of my first major purchases when I started investing heavily, but it was already at the end of its life, so I did not end up with many.

So Ed, since you seem to know more ins and outs on acquiring exclusives, any thought on how to get multiples without getting banned? I have two accounts and have 4, so I am am my limit. Driving my parents' car back from TX next month, so I am going to have them set up an account, but that is only 2 more.

This set is on my list of buying 1 per month, just don't know how to get there.

So Ed, since you seem to know more ins and outs on acquiring exclusives, any thought on how to get multiples without getting banned? I have two accounts and have 4, so I am am my limit. Driving my parents' car back from TX next month, so I am going to have them set up an account, but that is only 2 more.

This set is on my list of buying 1 per month, just don't know how to get there.

I have no tricks.  Pay a premium is how I acquire some sets.  

I have no tricks.  Pay a premium is how I acquire some sets.  

I could probably imagine a scenario where one buys boatloads Lego gift cards (with denomination closest to purchase amount) using your main account (or checking out as guest, or in store with cash, if you are that suspicious)... Then checkout multiple times as guest... Ship to your office, using some "Creativity Department" as recipient name (do warn front desk that it is for you though LOL)

P.S. Didn't emazers said something about gift cards... ?

P.P.S. Feel free to erase this post if you consider it immoral

Since a lot of you guys seem to think that only sets that sell above retail are good investments, I guess you should all be buying this set. It's selling for $67 above a $150 retail. The set will be a winner. I think most people can tell by looking at it, but if you need more persuasion: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10241-1. There's also an article on the Maersk series somewhere in the blog section.

Well i would expect the price is more reflective for the limited avenue of purchase than true marlet value. I expect that if the 3 big box retailers carried this it would price out at RRP. I was concerned about getting it and then remembered that it only came out in January. No rush.

My worry is that there have been Maersk ships in the past, and they don't look so much different. They did gain in value, but not as much as I would like. And with that history: how likely is it that after EOL there will just be the next version of the Maersk ship?