Will 2014 top 2013?

Guest TabbyBoy

2014 should be abother great Lego year. There will be sets to offload, new ones to purchase, with a few more sets in my household going out the door rather than in. Hopefully we see some more goodies like the Technic Crawler LE and Architecture Studio though those were simply gifts to investors. Some interesting new sets, rehashes and retirements of long held sets are on the cards. 2013 was my biggest Lego year thus far, and my stash is only growing. 

I am looking forward to Christmas already!

I'd be looking forward to Christmas too if it was in Summer! ;-(

2014 looks exciting so far with rumors of UCS Sandcrawler and Slave I, simpson's house looks really good too. I'm guessing we might even see a similar "UCS" set for the LOTR theme after the Orthanc tower last year (Minas Tirith ftw!).

One thing I know for sure is if they re-do some limited edition set like the crawler i'm buying it the second it gets release lol...

From a pure investment perspective the performance of 2014 will largely be determined not by what is released this year but mainly by sets released in 2012 or earlier that are retiring or are already retired.  Of course flipping opportunities may arise and there will no doubt be retail deals to be had on existing and new sets, but it's the growth in retired sets that will form the backbone of returns for most.

True, Grolim.  Some suspected sets will likely retire in 2014 and generate discussion/news/interest with our forum.  Hopefully investors/flippers can get their decent ROI and collectors seize their set before it's officially EOL.

As someone (newbie) who is approaching their 1yr anniversary with this Lego hobby in Feb/Mar, looking back 2013 was awesome yr to jump aboard.  Lots of great new sets, promo's etc.  I'm sure many of you can say 2012, or 2011 or waaaay further back for example was a good year.  All relative and based on personal experience. 

Will have to sit back and wait to see what sets/themes, specials creates the most buzz this year.  As a fan, I'll keep my expectations realistic but I'm sure Lego will have some surprises up their sleeves.           

Take it from someone who took March through November off from Lego investing in 2013. This is something you don't want to do. Make sure you stay involved in the site and keep checking back even if it is just weekly. During those slow months last year I rarely checked the site and I missed so many big opportunities. The Architectural Studio is the one I regret the most. B&****** was my go to place for investing in 2012 when hardly anyone was looking there for Lego deals but since I took a break for those months in 2013 I missed this along with other big sales and clearances.

Stupid question but, did 2013 top 2012?  I wasn't a BP member then.

I would say that it did.

No, it didn't - and any long time seller (Pre-BP) knows it.

I meant that 2013 topped 2012 from a collectors standpoint.  From an investor's standpoint, probably not.  2012 and 2013 both had strongpoints and weaknesses.

Guest TabbyBoy

Do you think Tower Bridge will retire this year?

No I don't.  I think it'll be around until Rio 2016 as it was an important part of London 2012.  This is why I regret buying 10 at RRP last year and it's too late to return them - my worst purchase to date.