Will 2014 top 2013?

Only a few weeks into 2014...anybody think this year will be even better in terms of Lego excitment, news, investments, releases etc.  I just started this Lego hobby/investment in 2013 and enjoyed following such topics and discussions about Mr. Gold, Exclusive Crawler, Robin Redbird Cycle, exclusive minifigs at ComicCon, (probably missing some other noteworthy sets/news) etc. etc...I wonder what topics will be headlines in 2014?  No crystal ball :)   

I'm sure we'll see more 'investors' on our forums and some simply lose interest.  As long as the reseller market doesn't 'crash' I think we'll all be happy.   

I think Simpsons will be the big theme for the year. Especially if there are more sets. Have to think Quickie mart would be next. 

Good point.  After 20yrs or so on TV I'm sure some Simpson fans will dip into Lego for the first time perhaps because of the new sets.  They should hide a 'gold' Sideshow Bob in some sets or do a few exclusive minifigs of popular celebrity voiced characters as gimmicks to drum up even more interest.

May the 4th time will surely drum up the usual interest/news/fan fair with Lego specials and deals. 

• Like 1

I think it has the potential for a huge year! Some highlights I am expecting:

- Simpsons as people have mentioned. They didn't get the license to only do one set and a few figures - can only imagine this will be a multi-year theme.

- The year of Lego Movie - I expect this to be huge, and to bring new fans into Lego. I think the sets will sell well, but what will be more interesting is a potential bow-wave effect of parents getting exposed to Lego again and discovering modulars, Friends, etc.

- Star Wars VII - seems like by end of year we might get our first glimpses of the next movie hopefully, with lots of news throughout the year (although the writer switch has me worried about the script already) which could drum up interest in different sets.

I know we all said this in 2012 and 2013 seemed to turn out OK but I am wondering what the rapid growth in investors will do for 2014. At some point I would assume there will just be too many investors that profits will be so small it wont make it worth it for some of us any more. I hope I never see that day but it is something to be concerned about for those of us putting tens of thousands of dollars in to this.

I know we all said this in 2012 and 2013 seemed to turn out OK but I am wondering what the rapid growth in investors will do for 2014. At some point I would assume there will just be too many investors that profits will be so small it wont make it worth it for some of us any more. I hope I never see that day but it is something to be concerned about for those of us putting tens of thousands of dollars in to this.

Personally I think the thing to worry more about is how Lego reacts. If they don't greatly increase supply, the number of investors is relatively unimportant IMO. 

This is why Lego will ALWAYS be a very, very small part of my overall portfolio.  While I do this to make some money and have some fun, I will never view it as a real form of investing for my family's future.  We always say diversification is key.  Well, that pertains to the overall picture, too.  If you put everything into Lego for investment purposes, you aren't being diverse.  You are just being diverse in a very small pool and not looking at the big picture.  I'm not targeting Legodog that he's doing this, but that he brings up a very good point that it's possible that our success could also be our downfall.

So far, I feel like the lineups for 2014 don't have the same dazzle that the sets from last year did.  But I also say this speaking only from my personal tastes.  I think the new Ninjago stuff is super weak.  The Disney Princess stuff is a great idea and I think it will all do very well, but again, just doesn't appeal to me personally.  I am still a firm believer in the "buy/invest in what you like" rule, so this year has been disappointing for me so far. 

I have been a major fan of the Super Heroes line since I came out of the Dark Ages, and so I am most excited for new Super Heroes stuff.  All the new Batman stuff is awesome, but I am really disappointed in what I am seeing from the Marvel stuff that is due out in March/April.  I should clarify...the minifigures are AMAZING, but I never would have imagined such a lame lineup of sets.  The building parts of all the new Marvel stuff are terrible.  It seems like all the foucs was on the minis.

Overall though, I think this year will be as good as any.  As some have stated earlier, I think the Lego Movie will definitely give everything a big boost.  Sure, there will be a lot of new investors, but there will also be a LOT of new consumers/end users who want to buy stuff from us.  :)

Honestly If lego was smart they're thinking up options on how to use lego investors/resellers to their advantage in the future. The best way to control something is to take ownership of it. Some kind of lego reseller program/license?

Get the resellers on the same team instead of "fighting" them.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Some random thoughts

The Simpsons set will be big news. 

The Disney Princess stuff will be great to flip next christmas.

We will all talk about how amazing the new Batman lineup is and many of these sets will be hoarded.

The LEGO movie will put LEGO on the map even bigger than it is now.

Yes - Things are ok, but they have also been on a general decline for a couple years now.

So far the City Arctic theme looks cool, MetalBeard's Seacow...classic spaceship (Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!) that takes me back to my pre-dark ages, Simpsons.

A (hopefully) cool Mos Eisley Cantina and a couple of big UCS sets coupled with some hype for SW in 2015 might make 2014 a very solid year.

I'm also pretty geeked about the Creator Bike Shop plus new trains.  Hopefully the new station and/or crossing is awesome.

This is why I'm not so worried about the limits and banning.  They are attempting to make keep the majority of sets being opened and built (haven't seen my closet... :devil: ), so hopefully we see a stabilization in the investing market.

It is nice that there are so many large sets out there right now - between what we have now and what is rumored, I'd like to see someone with enough capital to have 10-20 of each and every large set ($100 MSRP) socked away.  By like to see, I mean I'd actually like to see pictures of their stash.  It would be huuuuuge!  I still don't think the vast majority of 'new' investors (post USA today article) have multiples of all big sets.

Heck, I wish I had more of each big set...

2014 should be abother great Lego year. There will be sets to offload, new ones to purchase, with a few more sets in my household going out the door rather than in. Hopefully we see some more goodies like the Technic Crawler LE and Architecture Studio though those were simply gifts to investors. Some interesting new sets, rehashes and retirements of long held sets are on the cards. 2013 was my biggest Lego year thus far, and my stash is only growing. 

I am looking forward to Christmas already!

- Simpsons as people have mentioned. They didn't get the license to only do one set and a few figures - can only imagine this will be a multi-year theme.

I honestly wonder if there will be anymore sets done for The Simpsons. The agreement between Fox and Lego could have been very selective in what could be done at all and to a certain scale. Look at the house; it's huge. Large enough to utilize just enough bricks to capture the essential look of the animated abode which really is the most simply iconic part of the series anyone remembers. However, can the same be said for any other location from the cartoon? Yes, we know of the power plant, Moe's Tavern, Flander's home, etcetera, but are they that memorable of designs or even possible under Lego's own guidelines? Plus, if the house is the scale now set for anything else if there were to be other releases that is a pretty high benchmark. Can you imagine how enormous the power plant would be?

I believe the house works mainly because it is a signature of the TV series and a 'neutral' central location where most everything transpires. The characters themselves is probably the best as well as safest area for Lego to focus on so it won't be any wonder why we shall see a separate series of Minifigures for them. Anyway in this scenario, I'm figuring Fox was actually the ones who approached Lego about seeing The Simpsons in their product form considering there is going to be an episode completely done in Lego bricks and the house with characters was the best mutual agreement they arrived at.

I will admit I still can't believe Lego actually did anything based on The Simpsons but even so, I see Avatar: The Last Airbender all over again. Besides, if Lego were to try any other location from the series, it would have to fit perfectly with the house to appease fans everywhere meaning even the smallest set could end up being a $100 or more.

• Like 1

Haven't purchase a TB so hoping to buy before retirement...waiting for more budget room and decent promo.  I hope there will be retirements on other sets like VW Camper too. 

Obviously some surprise retirements will generate news/topics on our forums this year.  Still very early in the year...IMO the exclusive crawler was the set of the year in 2013 so it's anyone guess what this year's hot set will be.