71006 - The Simpsons House

Jeff Mack

The Simpsons House  

549 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about The Simpsons House?

• Love it!
    • Could be better.
    • Hate it.
    • Don't care either way.
  2. 2. How do you feel about investment potential?

• It's a winner!
    • It's okay.
    • It stinks.
  3. 3. Are you interested to see more sets for The Simpsons?

• Yes, please!
    • No, thank you.
    • Couldn't care less.

• 4 weeks later...

I see this is flying out the blocks, multiple sold listings on eBay UK at £250+, no bad for a set that you could have purchased for around £130. I know a certain few members had their doubts on this one but for a sitcom that has been in production for nearly 30 years I guessed it would do just fine. A set predominately aimed at an Adult fan base who are more likely to part with larger amount of cash and a set that is unlikely to be remade... watch this space.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

4 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

I see this is flying out the blocks, multiple sold listings on eBay UK at £250+, no bad for a set that you could have purchased for around £130. I know a certain few members had their doubts on this one but for a sitcom that has been in production for nearly 30 years I guessed it would do just fine. A set predominately aimed at an Adult fan base who are more likely to part with larger amount of cash and a set that is unlikely to be remade... watch this space.

hi.. Im not interested in this set at all (never had it nor the 2nd one).. but just for verification of my doubts.. could you perhaps PM one of the ebay listings ID where it truly got sold for that price? 

What is stranger is KWEM is selling for more.
I can source multiples of both but at full RRP - one to keep tabs on if growth is sustained, perhaps.

I agree, at RRP this take an obvious chunk in profits especially when both of these sets were easily obtainable at discount from a number of retailers but I think they will continue to grow. I own both and can see why the KWEM may achieve more as it has beautiful detail and can be nestled into a modular street. Whereas the house is probably one of the most iconic houses to be shown on TV so it's a tough call...

1 minute ago, mtchrs said:

I use eBay as a reference only, but what I understand is that recently ended sets on ‘buy now’ show up in the sold filter, this doesn’t mean any have sold for that price.
I could be wrong...

There are filters by ended and sold listings. A sold listing is in green and should have a sold tag beside the price. However, some are best offer accepted so you need a tool to be able to see what it actually sold for.

Just now, Manse1001 said:

I agree, at RRP this take an obvious chunk in profits especially when both of these sets were easily obtainable at discount from a number of retailers but I think they will continue to grow. I own both and can see why the KWEM may achieve more as it has beautiful detail and can be nestled into a modular street. Whereas the house is probably one of the most iconic houses to be shown on TV so it's a tough call...

I think there isn´t a miracle recovery in the large exclusives market and that these will follow the same path as ToO, Seacow etc and plateau at around 275 euros or even fall back. Considering listing mine now, actually.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Val-E said:

There are filters by ended and sold listings. A sold listing is in green and should have a sold tag beside the price. However, some are best offer accepted so you need a tool to be able to see what it actually sold for.

I think there isn´t a miracle recovery in the large exclusives market and that these will follow the same path as ToO, Seacow etc and plateau at around 275 euros or even fall back. Considering listing mine now, actually.

Still, they have had a retirement bump, which is more than can be said for Pet Shop, Sandcrawler, Ewok Village, et al.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captain_chaos said:

Still, they have had a retirement bump, which is more than can be said for Pet Shop, Sandcrawler, Ewok Village, et al.

Yes, last year´s bunch have been truly horrible performers. I wonder if the market is changing or the sets that retired this year have been better received.

I find this the hardest part these days, guessing the sets and buying at the right price is the easy part, knowing when to sale is where it gets tricky. If I look back over my spreadsheet I've sold too many sets too earlier and others not soon enough!! If I can double my investment then I'll move them on, double my money on any set is enough for me these days!!

5 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

I find this the hardest part these days, guessing the sets and buying at the right price is the easy part, knowing when to sale is where it gets tricky. If I look back over my spreadsheet I've sold too many sets too earlier and others not soon enough!! If I can double my investment then I'll move them on, double my money on any set is enough for me these days!!

Buying at the right time and the right price helps make selling easier because you can flip or hold and still undercut if needed. I am not alone in being stuck with TB, T1, Tumbler and  ToO either through buying too soon or too damn high.

Edited by Val-E

Thanks so much for this input.. I dont know how to say it, but after 12 years of being on eBay every day I HAVE NEVER thought of this function.. anyways.. I used your suggestion for listings on ebay.co.uk only NEW (these were not just items located in UK, but also in Germany, France, Australia.. etc.. - simply because they got listed on ebay.co.uk).. below are all the sold sets within Dec 1-31, 2017 in GBP.. those with "x" are listed on ebay with a sold price in green bold letters - but crossed. (presumably Best Offer?).

200, 238x, 196, 215, 189, 250, 250, 227, 255, 230, 230, 250, 395, 200, 195, 210, 210, 215, 253, 205, 160, 220, 220, 200x, 154, 229x, 150, 230, 100x, 219x

total sold: 30 sets (listed on ebay UK)
math avg: 6495 / 30 = 216.50 GP
median: 200.00 GP

Brickpicker for UK shows (as of December 18, 2017) that the "average" NEW price for 71006 shows a figure 141.84 GBP.. now that is really OFF! .. 

Let me offer some hypothetical example when I consider "all X-sets" (best offers probably) as sold at value 100 GBP.. we get to the total of 6009 GBP (avg = 200.30 GBP, median = 197 GBP)

so.. I would really love to hear some explanation based on hard facts how is it that BP lists this (based on more than 30 sets sold on ebay.co.uk) in NOVEMBER 2017 as avg price 141.84.. what am I missing.. ? The BP prices (according to the info on the website are based only and solely on ebay sold sets)

Edited by crayxlp

Just now, Val-E said:

No surprise - set retired in December and it´s Xmas time. Those 2 factors push prices up compared with November Bper data.

Check back in April and we´ll have a cleare idea of how this set is doing.

My point was regarding some huge difference presented in BP statistics and what I calculated from (the same?) amount of sold sets on ebay.co.uk..  It could be a glitch in the methodics: like someone from AUS posting an auction on ebay.co.uk, got sold - but in fact on ebay.co.au and or ebay.com and that would mean major discrepancies in my calculations. as there are no hard rules how these stats are calculated I simply do not know.

3 minutes ago, BarryZola said:

Don't worry about it pal. Just look at the latest sold prices on your chosen selling platform and be competitive. No need to write a new scientific theory about it all. Just buy it low and sell for a decent profit when the prices go up enough. No more to it.

If you took that care to read my previous posts correctly - I stated quite firmly that I HAVE NEVER HAD any of these Simpsons sets..  Im just questioning the difference in the official BP stats against these findings.

I did read your previous posts correctly. If you read my post correctly, you would see that I was suggesting that as far as buying and selling goes, it doesn't really matter what technical difference you are making an effort to prove wrong or right, between different platforms. I don't know about others, but when I'm looking to sell a set I look at sites such as Ebay at the customers who will be buying my product, instead of looking at BP first. I'm just here to, you know, maybe make a bit of money and share and gain from a bit of advice on sets. I'm not sure what differences in calculations between different sites has got to do with me? Nothing actually.

• Like 1

ok, this could be one of the cases of "genuine misunderstanding" when both parties have something specific on mind (and in the context expect the other party to have the same thing on mind).. while they are both talking about different things.

as for the importance of BP index, like it or not.. many people just based their selling / buying prices on this index. Therefore I wanted to know why it shows different value for ebay UK market than I could dig out.