Help me understand the rationale behind this purchasing decision

Import/custom fees might drive buyers to choose a fellow countrymen.  When I buy from Bricklink, I check all Canadian sellers first for sets I want because I know I won't be hit with extra fees and shipping is generally quite a bit cheaper than international shipping.

• Like 1

Can you link to an example?

That would really help, yes.

Off the top of my head though, there are many, many reasons why people would pay premiums for identical items. Here are just a couple:

1) Opportunity. The item (with the premium) is more readily available/suits their personal buying habits (i.e. Ebay, Amazon, Bricklink, etc. They may prefer to buy from a buyer with higher feedback or higher % positive (I know I do, I often will accept a bit of a higher price for items if I feel the seller is more likely to be trustworthy. Better that then risk a hassle. Just my opinion though). 

2) Shipping could be a factor. Maybe the cheaper item has a much higher shipping cost, which could in a higher final sale price.

3) Shipping times could be a factor also, maybe they accept a premium to get items quicker. 

4) They don`t know how to use search engines to find better deals or they don`t really care to. Could be their time is limited, they see the item(s) they want and buy. Believe it or not more people are like this then you may think. 

Countless more, but there are just what came to mind. 

Import/custom fees might drive buyers to choose a fellow countrymen.  When I buy from Bricklink, I check all Canadian sellers first for sets I want because I know I won't be hit with extra fees and shipping is generally quite a bit cheaper than international shipping.

Ohhhh, that`s another important one as well. Nice going  :thumbsup:

That would really help, yes.

Off the top of my head though, there are many, many reasons why people would pay premiums for identical items. Here are just a couple:

1) Opportunity. The item (with the premium) is more readily available/suits their personal buying habits (i.e. Ebay, Amazon, Bricklink, etc. They may prefer to buy from a buyer with higher feedback or higher % positive (I know I do, I often will accept a bit of a higher price for items if I feel the seller is more likely to be trustworthy. Better that then risk a hassle. Just my opinion though). 

2) Shipping could be a factor. Maybe the cheaper item has a much higher shipping cost, which could in a higher final sale price.

3) Shipping times could be a factor also, maybe they accept a premium to get items quicker. 

4) They don`t know how to use search engines to find better deals or they don`t really care to. Could be their time is limited, they see the item(s) they want and buy. Believe it or not more people are like this then you may think. 

Countless more, but there are just what came to mind. 

Ohhhh, that`s another important one as well. Nice going  :thumbsup:

Yes, I get the picture but at the time of purchase, the cheapest option would have been somewhere around ~65