79002 - Attack of the Wargs

Where is it being discounted. Curious.

During Wal-Mart Summer clearance, many stores had them marked down to $35.  There were also plenty to be had at 50% off clearance prices at KMart at the end of September for $23.50 each.  Some Wal-Marts still have them at $49.97, so getting a few at $35 is still a possibility when/if they mark them down 30%.  Meijer stores also had them at $37.50.

I cant see this set being worth more than retail, maybe $50-75, if you can get these sets on heavy discount, say around $25-30 you can turn a decent profit, but no way i would pay anywhere near retail. Also, there is a warg in the new elf army set which will hurt this set greatly.

I have had an eBay listing for a few months, selling Wargs and Mirkwood Spiders as a pair. Prior to the movie coming out, even at a low price under MSRP, I sold like none of them. With the movie out, I have sold a few, and even raised the price. Most interestingly, the number of views on the listing is much higher than some of my other listings. So I think the demand is there - for now - but don't plan on holding any long term.

I caught Smaug over the break with my son, and the barrel escape had ZERO context before the movie came out. AFTER the movie, my son was gung-ho over it and it was a very fun scene in the movie. They rolled out Mirkwood and Barrel way too far in advance of the movie. He was excited for both after watching the film.

• Like 1

I caught Smaug over the break with my son, and the barrel escape had ZERO context before the movie came out. AFTER the movie, my son was gung-ho over it and it was a very fun scene in the movie. They rolled out Mirkwood and Barrel way too far in advance of the movie. He was excited for both after watching the film.

I read something the other day that said they decided later in the production cycle to do three movies instead two.  If LEGO was planning on two movies, these scenes may have been in the "first movie" and instead of holding the sets back they just slapped the "preview" disclaimer on the box.  No idea if this is the case, but it seems plausible.  That or there just wasn't many great scenes in the first movie.

I read something the other day that said they decided later in the production cycle to do three movies instead two.  If LEGO was planning on two movies, these scenes may have been in the "first movie" and instead of holding the sets back they just slapped the "preview" disclaimer on the box.  No idea if this is the case, but it seems plausible.  That or there just wasn't many great scenes in the first movie.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened.  The change from 2 to 3 movies messed up which sets were supposed to come out

Mirkwood Spiders and Barrel Escape sets make a LOT more sense now. I actually think both have a chance at decent returns, and each has two exclusive minifigures from the Dwarf group.

Yeah, I didn't understand those two sets until I saw the second movie. They should have just saved them for the second wave.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened.  The change from 2 to 3 movies messed up which sets were supposed to come out

Looks like this is dead on. Looking at the Smaug sets was a peek into DoS and the eventual 3rd installment. Makes me wonder if there will be any more Hobbit sets at all because the current sets are basically from Smaug and final installment. Ambush and Battle have nothing to do with DoS movie. After reading the posts about molds and machinery and cost, not sure how LEGO will be able to pump out more sets before the end of the movies. But what do I know, LOTR sets are still rumoured and BPers are wish listing sets from Return of the King to this day.

Catch DoS in the theaters, you will not be disappointed by the screen time and look of Smaug on the big screen.

I think some folks would rather just purchase Azog's white warg on eBay to go along with Azog from battle at dol guldur. That's only reason why i would get Attack of Wargs for a crazy sale price, with Thorin included, but even he isn't exclusive anymore.

Yup - with Azog out, my white warg listings have been selling well on eBay.  After sitting on 6 of these for three months, I have sold four in late December/January.

Yup - with Azog out, my white warg listings have been selling well on eBay.  After sitting on 6 of these for three months, I have sold four in late December/January.

I didn't know the names of any of the orcs, but I remember thinking that Yazneg was a pretty poor representation of the guy in the movie.  Seeing the Azog figure explains my confusion.