79002 - Attack of the Wargs

Yep...should make money back pretty quickly.

I've parted this out a few times....these are off the top of my head and don't forget you'll pay eBay/ PayPal about 14%.

Tree. $17

Wargs $15

Yazneg $5

Hunter orcs $10

Thorin $7

Bifur $7

So you should end up with about $20 profit.

I doubt the set itself will appreciate until the set goes EOL.

Also note, BP prices are not accurate for some of the Hobbit/LOTR sets because of people parting them out. Ed/Jeff cannot filter these out unfortunately because the titles of the listings are usually identical to the complete set listings.

Decided to sell figs. Have already sold two orcs (I put them in one lot) and both dwarfs. Surprised the Wargs didn't go first.

Decided to just cover my costs of buying the set half price and then all eBay fees but to still be left with all the pieces from the set for my own building pleasure - this way my hobby becomes self sustainable. It means too that I can undercut other sellers although not by much so hopefully won't be reducing the value of things for other sellers (although I suspect many are too shifting stuff they bought at a discount?).

With my

Seems like a lot of work at this price to part it out and resell unless you have  bunch and relisting is more convenient.

maybe so for a big investor seller but that's not me. This is the first brand new set which I've bought and parted out (in the past I've bought used lots and had things given which I've sold things from to make back my money plus profit plus lots of lego for me.

If I don't spend a few mins listing a few figs on ebay during my holiday then I don't really have enough money for lego so for me it's worth it. I guess I have a different mindset and circumstance to others on here! :-)

• 4 months later...

Thoughts on this set as an investment?

It's being heavily discounted right now (and I can see why), but do you think there is room for growth in the future?

The exclusive minifigures are not the greatest, but the wargs got to count for something, right?

I dont see this climbing over 60$ to be honest... EVER... even if exclusive figs stay exclusive.... 2 wargs cannot carry the set... 

I think $60 may be a tad low, but I don't think this will be a huge winner. They have been discounted for a LONG time and it just doesn't seem to be very popular, and I think it was overpriced at $50. If this ends up at $70-$75 I'd be thrilled, as I have several of them. I also think that's probably a pretty realistic price point for EOL.

I am slightly encouraged by how Escape from Mirkwood spiders performed this holiday season, which is another set in the same situation I think. A couple weeks of being blown out at like $16 per set, this set was selling for $40 or for Christmas when it was sold out. So it's possible both sets could do a little better than initially expected.

I have had an eBay listing for a few months, selling Wargs and Mirkwood Spiders as a pair. Prior to the movie coming out, even at a low price under MSRP, I sold like none of them. With the movie out, I have sold a few, and even raised the price. Most interestingly, the number of views on the listing is much higher than some of my other listings. So I think the demand is there - for now - but don't plan on holding any long term.

I think $60 may be a tad low, but I don't think this will be a huge winner. They have been discounted for a LONG time and it just doesn't seem to be very popular, and I think it was overpriced at $50. If this ends up at $70-$75 I'd be thrilled, as I have several of them. I also think that's probably a pretty realistic price point for EOL.

I am slightly encouraged by how Escape from Mirkwood spiders performed this holiday season, which is another set in the same situation I think. A couple weeks of being blown out at like $16 per set, this set was selling for $40 or for Christmas when it was sold out. So it's possible both sets could do a little better than initially expected.

There is nothing there that you truly will want after 2 or 3 years....

Thorin sure is ''exclusive'' print (for now) but those not so picky will be satisfied with the other print aswell... Bofur I bet will be redone

So what is left... 2 wargs Yazneg (that is nowhere in the movies) and 2 Hunter Orcs... 

Hardly anything to justify 75$ .... especially considering you could pick those up for 18$.

There is nothing there that you truly will want after 2 or 3 years....

Thorin sure is ''exclusive'' print (for now) but those not so picky will be satisfied with the other print aswell... Bofur I bet will be redone

So what is left... 2 wargs Yazneg (that is nowhere in the movies) and 2 Hunter Orcs... 

Hardly anything to justify 75$ .... especially considering you could pick those up for 18$.

True enough, might go for some orc forges or barrel escapes instead then...