New Lego Catalog - What's missing...

Couldn't help notice Galaxy Squad and Castle, as well as any Lord of the Rings sets (Including Tower) were not in the newest Lego catalog. Galaxy Squad and Castle already on their way out? Obviously, LOTR isn't totally done, as they still have ROTK movies to do sets for, but I found it interesting the Tower wasn't in there. Obviously, no Haunted House as well. 

Between Lone Ranger, Galaxy Squad, and Castle, this is quite a theme turnaround in a short amount of time. I see the new Movie sets, and of course the Flexons or whatever the hell those things are, and the new Disney Princess line. They really seem to be pushing the whole Cops and Robbers thing a lot in City as well. 

You're seeing Target clearance out Council of Elrond and most of the small galaxy squad sets now, and Yoyo is offering pretty good discounts on a couple of the small castle sets... 

Guest eightbrick

Cops and robbers, cops and robbers, cops and robbers...How long until we get a full S.W.A.T. team? The green clothes, bulletproof vests, snipers...Would be AMAZING.

I though SWAT teams dress in black?

Exactly. It`s not something I`d bet on them to do anytime soon. Indirectly suggesting that guns be a normal part of a city isn`t something that they take lightly, and they should be applauded for that. 

But indirectly suggesting that widespread crime is a normal part of a city is somehow ok?

Maybe if they gave the cops some guns, things wouldn't be so out of control.

• Like 5

Cops and robbers, cops and robbers, cops and robbers...How long until we get a full S.W.A.T. team? The green clothes, bulletproof vests, snipers...Would be AMAZING.

that would be too violent for lego, all the big machine guns and such. Though chopping off a head with an axe is alright ...

You're seeing Target clearance out Council of Elrond and most of the small galaxy squad sets now, and Yoyo is offering pretty good discounts on a couple of the small castle sets... 

I noticed that LEGO LEGO Shop at Home changed the "more will ship" line for the Elrond set.  It now says:

• Out of stock, expected ship date null

But indirectly suggesting that widespread crime is a normal part of a city is somehow ok?

Maybe if they gave the cops some guns, things wouldn't be so out of control.

Touche. But my view is that guns are taking it another step too far. It`s the difference between ***-PG rated material and PG-13 - R. While you can certainly have "bad guys" and crime exist in each category, the level of portrayal can be vastly different. There is something to be said about that. One more point, Lego city for example comes with the underlying, indirect premise that the Cops are going to win against the Criminals. Most younger children are going to base their "playtime" on that premise. The robbers and crooks go to prison and the police save the day etc. I base that one having worked with younger children growing up and having once been a child myself... 

It`s highly unrealistic to take guns out of society or to try and tell our children that there is no place for them at all. That would be denying the very real need and existence of them. But, that doesn`t mean kids need to be smothered with it in everything. It`s ok for it to be watered down a bit, hence the lack of Swat teams and guns in the City line. We shouldn`t be giving it all to our kids through the use of toys, media, games, etc. then asking them to essentially "accept the reality" as if they were adults. They are clearly not. Allow them to grow and mature and gradually accept the reality a bit at a time. As kids, they need to play, they need to imagine, they do not and should not be asked to worry or think about the very real violence that exists, and that is Lego`s overall goal I believe. After all, their company name is based on "Play Well" not something like "Really World: 101"

• Like 2

I really hope that the LOTR line isn't done. I love it and I'd love to see more sets. IMO this line isn't doing bad and there should be no reson to cancel it. Of course there might be some licencing issues we don't know about, but still..

So the Lone Ranger sets are also EOL? I hope I'll be able to get some Constitution trains on clearance in January.

my view is that guns are taking it another step too far. It`s the difference between G-PG rated material and PG-13 - R. While you can certainly have "bad guys" and crime exist in each category, the level of portrayal can be vastly different.

Allow (kids) to grow and mature and gradually accept the reality a bit at a time. As kids, they need to play, they need to imagine, they do not and should not be asked to worry or think about the very real violence that exists, and that is Lego`s overall goal I believe. After all, their company name is based on "Play Well" not something like "Really World: 101"

At least somebody gets it.

Anyway, City does have its own SWAT; only without guns. ;)

3.jpg

Looks like...

swat-truck-north-haledon-united-states+1

Polizist_Pepperball_Dresden.jpg

Wow, I started a 2 page discussion!  :sorcerer:

Anyway yeah, the SWAT team in my city wears olive green (actually, I got to do this summer youth program last summer, and got to meat some of my cities team [and go in the Bearcat. Yes, it was awesome]). 

I'll be honest; I NEVER really though about how their aren't guns in city theme. Apparently it was no violent crime...(though maybe the rate of theft wouldn't so horrendous. The city probably looks like GTA without the guns... + the crooks escape and are captured so often...no wonder they never thange out of the prison outfits; they're basically running laps in and out of jail...) And  certainly see both sides of the argument...After all, guns (among other weapons) are extremely common throughout basically every theme...Star wars and Batman especially. But then, the City theme SHOULDN'T be like Gotham was in the Dark Knight Rises. And the public outcry would be horrible for lego, especially if any set included criminals with guns, and kids. NOT what I want to see either. 

(I do wish they'd at least give the Cops Tasers though...They tend to be yellow/ect. not black, so not much like a gun, non lethal, and would still make the cops not look like they're toast if the thug pulls out a fork...)