ebay buyer wants refund for item not delivered by Christmas!

kenchu2000

Never, ever, opt into the managed return program. The majority of the time you will be footing the bill for returns using the program. There are forums just like ours dedicated to scammers targeting managed return sellers. They simply order the item, do an automatic return choosing item not as described (in which case you the seller get billed for the return), mail you junk and you have no recourse whatsoever. In our case they will blowdry open the lego set seals, fill the box with whatever, reseal it and send it back all free of charge to them (paid by you). You may not even know the item was tampered with and resell it to someone else. The scammer will later sell your new set in bags with no box on their selling account. Avoid.

I've had very good results with the managed return program, and no buyers claiming not as described (which is where I agree to pay the return shipping) when it was really buyer's remorse. And, don't be surprised if managed returns becomes mandatory for the 20% FVF discount for TRS plus sellers.

In addition, for ANY return of boxed Lego, I would open the box and verify contents. As we've discussed in other threads, opening the box and verifying almost never does any harm to the resale value and indeed may make a buyer MORE comfortable if a seller can state they've verified the contents.

If a buyer sends back something you didn't send them, eBay will almost always stand behind any seller with a decent record (pro tip: establish a decent record with eBay selling cheaper stuff before starting to sell off $500 EOL sets) when a buyer tries to scam them.

The horror stories on various forums about how eBay never stands behind sellers are a) grossly exaggerated or b ) posted by sellers who aren't too good at their jobs.

Yes, there ARE going to be some losses when running an eBay business. eBay can't read minds and sometimes they're going to have to make the coin toss in a he said/she said when both parties have good records. It's no different than Amazon, and no different except in the types of losses incurred by any other seller in any other selling situation, from Craigslist to garage sales to brick and mortar to your own website, etc.

Do what you can to minimize losses in any selling environment (on eBay, this is following best practices and eBay's rules to the letter) but accept that they will occur and take them into account when pricing your items.

I've had very good results with the managed return program, and no buyers claiming not as described (which is where I agree to pay the return shipping) when it was really buyer's remorse. And, don't be surprised if managed returns becomes mandatory for the 20% FVF discount for TRS plus sellers.

In addition, for ANY return of boxed Lego, I would open the box and verify contents. As we've discussed in other threads, opening the box and verifying almost never does any harm to the resale value and indeed may make a buyer MORE comfortable if a seller can state they've verified the contents.

If a buyer sends back something you didn't send them, eBay will almost always stand behind any seller with a decent record (pro tip: establish a decent record with eBay selling cheaper stuff before starting to sell off $500 EOL sets) when a buyer tries to scam them.

The horror stories on various forums about how eBay never stands behind sellers are a) grossly exaggerated or b ) posted by sellers who aren't too good at their jobs.

Yes, there ARE going to be some losses when running an eBay business. eBay can't read minds and sometimes they're going to have to make the coin toss in a he said/she said when both parties have good records. It's no different than Amazon, and no different except in the types of losses incurred by any other seller in any other selling situation, from Craigslist to garage sales to brick and mortar to your own website, etc.

Do what you can to minimize losses in any selling environment (on eBay, this is following best practices and eBay's rules to the letter) but accept that they will occur and take them into account when pricing your items.

It took many full time years before eBay truly let me down. I believed much like you do, that they would always be there - looking to protect their top sellers.

It hurt a lot when the reality hit. I wish that I still believed that they will be there - but the truth is that they don't care, because they don't really have to.

At the end of the day - eBay knows that you have nowhere else to go.

I don't expect eBay to hold my hand and sing me lullabies. ;-) I've lost a few, too. But, overall, you can count on eBay to do what's best for eBay, and that includes keeping quality sellers on the site. Even losing a few battles, I'm doing fine in the war.

If eBay's going to let me down they're taking their time about it, I've been there more than 16 years now.

So using managed returns Justafrog - have you had people that refuse to check out through the managed returns? I have had two people now just send me back stuff they didn't want. I told them they must go through the return system because thats the way it properly gets put back:

- return money properly while canceling item

- get back Ebay fees

- Relisting fee waived, etc.

But they just don't respond. I haven't refunded them yet - I assume I just continue on not refunding them. They haven't said anything about the restocking fee, but I am sure as hell not waiving it - between the two items I paid $25 in shipping and I am not taking a loss because they can't read a listing.

• Like 1

Fascinating, haven't run into that one yet. I'd do what you have done - let them know they have to start a return through managed returns (because that's how eBay best tracks habitual abusers and I want them to do that, but don't mention that to the buyers in question ;) 

If it gets too exciting, or if they open a case outside of managed returns, give eBay a call and let them walk you through it.

The bizarre ones are always the most "fun", aren't they?

The amount of returns that a seller can expect depends greatly on the category of items that you are selling. If you are selling electronics, computers, apparel, etc, you will see a much higher amount of returns. Just the nature of the item where the customer's subjective opinion is of paramount importance (does it work right, does it fit, right color or size) causes this. You don't get many returns because collectible items like books are instances where returning the item completely negates the buyer's intent (no one can really take out part of a book as opposed to taking parts/minifigs from sets and resealing the box to look untouched)

Yes, managed returns as part of FVF discounts has been telegraphed for a while. At least eBay has done some fine tuning to managed returns to make it better for sellers. The original incarnation was a real burden.

Fascinating, haven't run into that one yet. I'd do what you have done - let them know they have to start a return through managed returns (because that's how eBay best tracks habitual abusers and I want them to do that, but don't mention that to the buyers in question ;)

If it gets too exciting, or if they open a case outside of managed returns, give eBay a call and let them walk you through it.

The bizarre ones are always the most "fun", aren't they?

I know - they are definitely interesting. Its funny because one of them I have messaged 3 or 4 times reminding him that. Never responds. Then literally the moment the tracking gets updated that I received it, he messages me about a refund.

I think both of them only have about 3-4 days before they lose Ebay Buyer Protection, so they will really have no other recourse if we hit that.

Actually another one for anyone that buys on Ebay a lot:

I bought a Pirate Ship Ambush. USPS lost it - right at my local one. So the seller said he would give me a refund when the USPS insurance refunded him. I have opened up a case and messaged him a couple of times and he has kept saying they haven't refunded him yet. Is this normal? I mean, I know I would just refund a buyer and continue to fight it out with USPS. He said if we hit January 31st and they haven't refunded him, he would refund me, but it seems a little ridiculous.

I did open a case, but because of how long the item took to get here and got lost, its outside of buyer protection. I really don't think the guy is running a scam - he didn't know his item would be lost. But I am a little weirded out by it. Its not a lot of money, so not that big of deal.

I know - they are definitely interesting. Its funny because one of them I have messaged 3 or 4 times reminding him that. Never responds. Then literally the moment the tracking gets updated that I received it, he messages me about a refund.

I think both of them only have about 3-4 days before they lose Ebay Buyer Protection, so they will really have no other recourse if we hit that.

Actually another one for anyone that buys on Ebay a lot:

I bought a Pirate Ship Ambush. USPS lost it - right at my local one. So the seller said he would give me a refund when the USPS insurance refunded him. I have opened up a case and messaged him a couple of times and he has kept saying they haven't refunded him yet. Is this normal? I mean, I know I would just refund a buyer and continue to fight it out with USPS. He said if we hit January 31st and they haven't refunded him, he would refund me, but it seems a little ridiculous.

I did open a case, but because of how long the item took to get here and got lost, its outside of buyer protection. I really don't think the guy is running a scam - he didn't know his item would be lost. But I am a little weirded out by it. Its not a lot of money, so not that big of deal.

Always open a case within the Buyer Protection window, no matter what. It's not your responsibility to wait for USPS to refund the seller.

If you are outside the time limit, then your only recourse if the seller doesn't come through would be to file a case with your credit card company if your purchase was funded via PayPal through a credit card. If you funded it solely out of your PayPal balance, then you may be out of luck. This is one reason Paypal always wants you to use your balance instead of a credit card (to avoid this last defense for buyers) and why sellers should only buy things from a separate account that has no balance and is therefore forced to use a credit card.

• Like 1

Always open a case within the Buyer Protection window, no matter what. It's not your responsibility to wait for USPS to refund the seller.

If you are outside the time limit, then your only recourse if the seller doesn't come through would be to file a case with your credit card company if your purchase was funded via PayPal through a credit card. If you funded it solely out of your PayPal balance, then you may be out of luck. This is one reason Paypal always wants you to use your balance instead of a credit card and why sellers should only buy things from a separate account that has no balance and is therefore forced use a credit card.

Lol yeah usually I will during the window. I missed it by a day :(  - during December which was beating my ass because I wasn't ready for it. lol.

Luckily I always use a credit card, no balance. Good info for sure - I didn't think about that.

If you are outside the time limit, then your only recourse if the seller doesn't come through would be to file a case with your credit card company if your purchase was funded via PayPal through a credit card. If you funded it solely out of your PayPal balance, then you may be out of luck. This is one reason Paypal always wants you to use your balance instead of a credit card (to avoid this last defense for buyers) and why sellers should only buy things from a separate account that has no balance and is therefore forced to use a credit card.

Thanks for that info.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest betsy805

So this same lady that asked for a refund (to which I said yes, which is documented), escalated the case to ebay after about 14 days.  Ebay says I have to accept the return.  Duh, I already said I would, but okay.  She doesn't get back to ebay within the required time with return shipping tracking so ebay closes the case, saying my funds have been returned to me and I will not be getting the item back, case closed.  Four days later I receive the item back!  What the hell?!  Even if I refund her, my ebay fees won't get refunded.  I guess a call into ebay is in order.  This lady is driving me CRAZY.

reason?

As much as I trust many members on this site,it is only fair to hear both sides of the story. Universally blocking potential buyers based on a random incident here and there is bad business and we would be walking down a slippery slope.

Imagine if we start bashing a buyer and the buyer turns out to be a member here, wouldn't you want to hear them first? If I was being banned, I would like my day in court.

As much as I trust many members on this site,it is only fair to hear both sides of the story. Universally blocking potential buyers based on a random incident here and there is bad business and we would be walking down a slippery slope.

Imagine if we start bashing a buyer and the buyer turns out to be a member here, wouldn't you want to hear them first? If I was being banned, I would like my day in court.

No, a list of bad ebayers is a good idea. It's done to great effect to other boards (ie. Comic collectors/sellers) and its for those blatantly bad buyers and scammers who need to be brought to light. If two board members ebay IDs end up being in conflict then it will come out in the wash and things can be cleared up. But if certian eBay IDs consistently come up as being 'bad for business' then a 'Block list' needs to be made.

No, a list of bad ebayers is a good idea. It's done to great effect to other boards (ie. Comic collectors/sellers) and its for those blatantly bad buyers and scammers who need to be brought to light. If two board members ebay IDs end up being in conflict then it will come out in the wash and things can be cleared up. But if certian eBay IDs consistently come up as being 'bad for business' then a 'Block list' needs to be made.

Constant abuse and scamming is a different story.

Guest TabbyBoy

I currently have 109 bad buyers in my blocked list that dates back to 2001.  Since selling LEGO, I've only had 3 bad (overly fussy, demanding, impatient) buyers (all South Korean!) out of 340 sales.  I give everybody a 2nd chance and I just block repeat offenders that are just too much like hard work or trying to pull a fast one.  This has taught me to send EVERY item as "signed for" so you have proof of postage and delivery.  This means eBay will likely take your side when a case is opened for non-delivery.  Of course, it means I have to hike postage up but, I only charge what it costs me (I don't charge for materials) and state this in the listings.

I always treat the customer with courtesy and respect but, I expect similar in return.

If we do share a blocked list, let's just include the worst repeat offenders with a valid reason.

Can start a thread and if you wish to participate you can if not than don't. I would also like just frog to post the how to block someone instructions. Unless someone else can do it. I know it's a bit complicated. The list even if you don't like it can be good to just cross reference. Say you sell a high dollar item. Check the list to take a look at risk vs reward or maybe you should add some extra like a signature

Guest TabbyBoy

Can start a thread and if you wish to participate you can if not than don't. I would also like just frog to post the how to block someone instructions. Unless someone else can do it. I know it's a bit complicated. The list even if you don't like it can be good to just cross reference. Say you sell a high dollar item. Check the list to take a look at risk vs reward or maybe you should add some extra like a signature

For those in the UK:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#block

From My eBay.

Click on my account

Site preferences

Buyer requirements

Edit scroll to the bottom and click

Blocked list

List the buyers you want to block separated by commas and click submit.

• Like 1

Guest betsy805

Go into your ebay selling page, click the tab for 'account'.  Click site preferences.  Click buyer requirements. Click show.  Click edit.  At the end there's a line that says "don't allow blocked bidders to contact me." At the end of that line there's a clickable link that takes you to your blocked bidders list.  There might be an easier way, but that's one way to do it.