Repackage nightmare....how would you handle this?

So yesterday I hit my local target and picked up some Super Heroes sets under the discount stacking for 35% off.  Scored some descent stuff including a Batwing.  Well in a corner of the toy section I found a Superman Vs Power armour lex set marked repackage and it had been re-taped.  Since it worked out to like 10 bucks I figured it was a good candidate for parting out.  I did prepare myself for the gamble that it quite possibly could be incomplete.  But hey worth a shot right?

Cracked it open tonight and well...wow.  No instructions, no minifigs. A re-taped bag, an open bag and one sealed bag....all of which appear to be from different sets.

So I am curious what everyone' thoughts and/or experiences are on this?  Also what would you do in my shoes?  Chalk it up to a lost gamble and add the pieces to my loose bricks?  Go talk to Target customer service on the off chance it may help?  Just not sure how to run this one.....

bp_1387845557__dsc03833.jpg

bp_1387845574__dsc03834.jpg

PS:  If anyone knows the sets these bags might be from I would greatly appreciate the input :P

I would take it back and tell them the set was not complete.

I personally would NOT keep any parts, as you may piss off the LEGO god/karma.

Incidentally, I bought one Helm's Deep from TRU a week ago and when it arrived I was excited to see the box was in mint shape.  That is, until I noticed the one end was open and the other end was crudely re-taped with packing tape.  Of course, parts were missing.  What I don't get it why TRU bothered sending it out in the first place.  They must have seen the condition of the box.  What a pain...

I would take it back and tell them the set was not complete.

I personally would NOT keep any parts, as you may piss off the LEGO god/karma.

How would it be karma if he`s paid for it? If he brings the set back and informs them that it was incomplete, won`t the store toss it out or mark it as missing pieces? I`ve done it before with sets that I`ve found open on the shelf. Brought to CS asking for a discount, and every single time the set was taken from me (politely of course) and I was informed that they can`t sell me it. Since you`ve already bought it I see no reason why a full refund isn`t in order. 

Take it back or keep the cool parts.  You've probably already burnt the $10 you spent in stress and thinking about it too much.

Tend to agree with this. I`m certain you can get your money back, but you just have to ask yourself if it is really worth the trouble. 

This sucks,

I think if you put them back in the box and just returned it that would be your best bet. I can't imagine there is anything worth keeping for $10.

On a side note I tried to buy a few random polybags I found on the back of one of the lego shelves at Target, they were from the Droid Escape set and it looked like all the figures were there. They wouldn't let me buy them not even for a few bucks, and I'm sure they threw them away.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you all for the inputs....very interesting and helpful to see people's take on it.

I took the set back yesterday.  I was very nice and told the clerk I would 100% understand if he told me to go kick rocks, as it was marked repackage.  Just calmly explained the situation.  The clerk was very understanding and processed the return without issue....was done in about a minute.

if you consider the cost of actually driving to the store and dealing with the line at customer service, to me it would not have been worth it - just add the parts to a bin and now you have a bunch of new parts

In most cases I would agree...especially if it was out of the way/45+ minute trip.  But it was my local Target 3 minutes from work and I was already heading there for 50% off Elrond's and Epic Dragon Battles :P.  Plus no line at costumer service so I lucked out there.

In most cases I would agree...especially if it was out of the way/45+ minute trip.  But it was my local Target 3 minutes from work and I was already heading there for 50% off Elrond's and Epic Dragon Battles :P.  Plus no line at costumer service so I lucked out there.

what were the clearance prices for elrond and epic dragon?

Thanks you all for the inputs....very interesting and helpful to see people's take on it.

I took the set back yesterday.  I was very nice and told the clerk I would 100% understand if he told me to go kick rocks, as it was marked repackage.  Just calmly explained the situation.  The clerk was very understanding and processed the return without issue....was done in about a minute.

let's hope he doesn't re-seal it for sale, lol