Upset customer, grrrr.

If it was the customer's fault, you can't insist they pay the return postage and only refund them the price of the item minus postage sent to them? Amazon allows that, however Jay from customer service told that lady incorrectly. The seller support rep I spoke to even said that he made a mistake telling her that. But there was nothing Amazon could or would do for me, not even give me a free gift card (that's only for customers i was told).

I've had a bunch of returns, some have been "found better prices elsewhere". I'm fine with that though, as long as I get my item back. I had 2 people return Helms Deeps after paying $175 before Amazon got them back in stock recently. I don't pay the shipping for those though since Amazon FBA'ed it.

In the last 365 days I've had 54 returns. A lot of carrier damages, which Amazon eats (or UPS eats I guess, because I'm sure Amazon is insured on it), and a lot of "product is not as described as on website" which I think is the default for "I'm retarded and I can't think of any legitimate reason to return this besides I want my money back and I think I need to make up an excuse". I freaking scan the barcode in to match it to a listing in the catalog. You can't get any more exact than that. Some defective items (toys that aren't legos and are electronic in nature, like lazer tag blasters, etc).

If it was the customer's fault, you can't insist they pay the return postage and only refund them the price of the item minus postage sent to them? Amazon allows that, however Jay from customer service told that lady incorrectly. The seller support rep I spoke to even said that he made a mistake telling her that. But there was nothing Amazon could or would do for me, not even give me a free gift card (that's only for customers i was told).

I've had a bunch of returns, some have been "found better prices elsewhere". I'm fine with that though, as long as I get my item back. I had 2 people return Helms Deeps after paying $175 before Amazon got them back in stock recently. I don't pay the shipping for those though since Amazon FBA'ed it.

In the last 365 days I've had 54 returns. A lot of carrier damages, which Amazon eats (or UPS eats I guess, because I'm sure Amazon is insured on it), and a lot of "product is not as described as on website" which I think is the default for "I'm retarded and I can't think of any legitimate reason to return this besides I want my money back and I think I need to make up an excuse". I freaking scan the barcode in to match it to a listing in the catalog. You can't get any more exact than that. Some defective items (toys that aren't legos and are electronic in nature, like lazer tag blasters, etc).

I am not cutout for that idocy. I have mad emistakes buying before - once I receive the item, I eat it. I honestly have times where I would have been justified and I went against it.

I loved one I had a while back - listing said no minfigiures in title, only part CAPS, and the price was like a third of the sets retail price. Some idiot bought it and then sent me a message saying where is the rest of the set. I pointed out the listing and he never responded to me again. So he opened up a case  - Well I am thinking just a "I want to return the item". No - opened as "Item not as described, incomplete and missing pieces". 

We need a "I opened a case because I am an idiot and could throw a rock out of a boat and miss water" description.

• Like 1

yeah this is all very frustrating. I had one buyer demand I refund the difference on shipping cost. I just said okay and now I don't show the shipping cost on the label. I had another buyer get mad because the set (the Lego store grand opening set) was too small. he left "positive" feedback that said, "I don't know why the hell I bought this, it's too small.". he never even contacted me. some people are just difficult illogical customers. you can't please everyone.

in your case, I wouldn't say all that much. just tell them they can return it for a full refund.

I've got 8 returns coming--7 people changed their minds...for various reasons...found cheaper---wife bought one---bought by mistake---no power functions on helicopter --no power functions on race car---(neither was supposed to either). one had it sent to herself by mistake--forgot to change the PayPal ship to address. None my fault...all on my dime.

• Like 2

And then you get requests like this on a polybag that ships 1st class.

Could you see if there is a more economical postage? There is no hurry for the item, so there is no need for a rushed delivery. I'd like to save as much money as possible. I've asked other sellers to do this and the cost has gone down 25-60%. 

I'm sorry to ask, I have 5 kids and my husband and I are both STILL waiting to qualify for disability. Every little but helps.

Could you see if there is a more economical postage? There is no hurry for the item, so there is no need for a rushed delivery. I'd like to save as much money as possible. I've asked other sellers to do this and the cost has gone down 25-60%. 

I'm sorry to ask, I have 5 kids and my husband and I are both STILL waiting to qualify for disability. Every little but helps.

I get the "I have kids. Can you lower the price?" message too often.  Maybe don't have so many kids then, Mr. Buyer.

• Like 1

It just make you wonder how civilization have stalled the process of Darwinism.  Lego is a privilege not a right.

I've asked other sellers to do this and the cost has gone down 25-60%.

I'd be all like, "Since you figured out those percentages, you are obviously great with numbers.  So revise your budget so that I don't have to decrease my bottom line for you.  What's that you say?  You've never made a budget?  Of course, you haven't."

• Like 1

I'm so glad I didn't sell on eBay this Christmas, just on Amazon.  Although apparently Amazon has extended their post-Christmas return period this year, so I'm waiting on 'found it cheaper' return requests.

I did have one fun Amazon return this year, on a Schleich tipi - very OOP, fairly rare, very nice increase in value compared to the clearance price I paid several years ago.  The buyer wanted something for his kids to play in.  D-oh!  And I've had plenty of people ding me on feedback on both eBay and Amazon because of a price sticker showing a price well below what they paid for it.  Very frustrating.

I read that a lot of people drive to the post office and wait in lines - is USPS carrier pickup unavailable to you all?  I see the 'check availability' button when I schedule a pickup, I just never thought much about it.  You only have to have one Priority Mail package to get them to pick up.

when the buyer says item not as described amazon foots the bill on the return postage-that's why they pick that option.It's not because they are stupid,they are gaming the system.Also on a fba return whatever you paid amazon for shipping the item out is deducted from your account no matter what so you did foot the bill on those shipping

An eye-opener thread for those who just started selling (like me), and may I add a bit scary. All the packages that I dropped off at the USPS office on the 19th dont even show an acknowledgement...fingers crossed

Yeah, it's still frustrating and/or scary for sellers who have nearly 10 years under their belt (like me). It's almost an uphill battle. I figure as long as I am nice sounding and thick skinned, and I'm still making money over all, I'll probably make it through.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's still frustrating and/or scary for sellers who have nearly 10 years under their belt (like me). It's almost an uphill battle. I figure as long as I am nice sounding and thick skinned, and I'm still making money over all, I'll probably make it through.

That's pretty much it. It's a grisly season, but the rewards outweigh the pain once you learn to do it as right as it can be done. It's not for sissies though, that's for certain sure.

On the same sort of topics, the best offer messages have gotten even better during december.

- One where the person said they were buying Minecraft for their terminally ill child and this was "all they wanted in the world". Offered me half my price - less than what they cost retail together (all 3). I looked at their purchases and all the stuff they bought was adult type stuff. I offered back 5$ off my price. lol.

- got a ton of "This is my sons allowance and this is all he has - then its half of my price.

- I get a bunch with "free shipping" in it - even though all my listings are free shipping.

- One of my favorites - "I only have 10$ in my debit account, will you take 10$?" - Um, if you only have 10$ I am not sure you need a Batman minifigure.

- I think my favorite of all time is "I have seen these go for <blank>". Yeah find one now.

• Like 5

You have to accept the return, whether your refund includes shipping is largely up to you. Im getting of the mindset that unless I effed up, shipping and return shipping is going to be on the customer. I have sufficient feedback and positive transactions to not care anymore. At least for non fba transactions. Fba doesnt give you a choice.

"I loved one I had a while back - listing said no minfigiures in title, only part CAPS, and the price was like a third of the sets retail price. Some idiot bought it and then sent me a message saying where is the rest of the set. I pointed out the listing and he never responded to me again. So he opened up a case - Well I am thinking just a "I want to return the item". No - opened as "Item not as described, incomplete and missing pieces". "

Please tell me ebay ruled in your favor.