9472 - Attack on Weathertop

I have 10. Not really worried. It technically has gone up - couple months ago when it retired, it was going for about $48 or so on Ebay. I have seen them sell for over $60 the last week or so. So its gone up a bit.

The figures are pretty awesome in this set - at least the ringwraiths are. I think it will be good.

All the LOTR sets are going to do this - because they are retiring long before they are actually out of stores. Once they finally clear up, it will jump. PLus a lot of people don't even know this set is retired, so no panic buying.

Ditto what he said :)

I'm pretty confident that the set has enough going for it despite the drawbacks mentioned in previous posts.  I'm feeling it selling for $80-90 by this time next year.  Yesterday I was looking at that huge Rivendell MOC and the ringwraiths looked awesome in it. 

These are still available in scattered areas, which I think is keeping the price low. You can still find a few on TRU shelves at clearance ($55) - And a few Kmarts still have them. The one nearest me has had them on sale for $46 a piece for about 2 months and 0 have sold. Even during the Christmas rush. Once they finally push off, I hope these increase, but I don't imagine the price will get to be more than 90-100. Tops. 

I've sold a few sets of minifigs from this set for $52 on eBay. At leaves me with all the pieces at a break even price. Im gathering pieces for castle mocs so I'm cool with parting out a few more of these until the price finally rises where I can actually make some money on it.

Like previously mentioned as long as the wringwraith's aren't re-released there is still upside in this set. However, I just wanted to point out that this is an excellent set to part out if you run out of patience. I've had great sucesss parting out 5 of these already with around a 50% return. So the beauty of it is even if it never rises much farther than retail you'll still be able to make a decent profit.

No movie tie ins? Maybe with the Hobbit movie, but it's the first battle against Ringwraiths in the Fellowship of the Ring. So it has seen some good movie time and your theory is incorrect. If only they put a Twilight Nazgul or the Witchking in it, this set would be awesome. But it will appreciate soon, don't worry.

FotR has not been seen in theatres in years.   People have short memories and need some kind of refreshers to keep their interests.  Hence I suggested a re-re-release of special ultimate version of the movie in theatres.  Or fudge the Hobbit 3 a little bit to show anything Ringwraiths

Two possible explanations:

1. There are still plenty of places that have stock left of this set. I don't know about the U.S. but I still come across this set in physical stores and also Amazon UK still sells it below (European) retail price.

2. Demand for it just isn't that big. Personally I concider this an average set. I bought one for my own collection but if I had missed out on it I don't think I'd lose any sleep over it.

My guess it's a bit of both. I don't think aftermarket for this and Mines of Moria (cave troll is nice but not impressed with the build) will be that great. The fact that they were so heavily discounted during their lifetime is telling for their appeal. Also, the mid sized sets in the POTC theme (The Mill, London Escape, Whitecap Bay) have shown disapointing growth, so maybe this kind of set is just not what people are prepared to pay more than retail price for in the aftermarket. Unless it's an exceptional set designwise or has desirable fugures like Harry Potter's the Burrow. OK Weathertop has Merry but I'd call that 'meh'.

i disagree with this statement. If discounting is the determining factor then there will be quite a few underwater investors with almost every set and theme. If this were also the case people would be loading up on exclusives. I do agree that in the short term discounts will affect rrp cagr. It is funny how no matter what people are investing in they want immediate results. In my mind eol means i have a start date to my 2 to 4 year investment clock. I do think also that legos new policy will help exclusives in the long run as less of the hordes will be loading them up. If people were smart they would be skipping all these little sets and allocating to large exclusives, enmasse.

My local toys r us has at least 5 of these still on the shelf.  I thought the general rule for lego investing was to wait years after retirement for real returns, not just a few months?  Patience, my friends.  Patience.

Sshh we are the new impatient breed of "investors".  Double MSRP in 6 months or go home baby !!! :devil:  :devil: :devil:  

FotR has not been seen in theatres in years.   People have short memories and need some kind of refreshers to keep their interests.  Hence I suggested a re-re-release of special ultimate version of the movie in theatres.  Or fudge the Hobbit 3 a little bit to show anything Ringwraiths

Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug movie spoiler

I believe they mention the ringwraiths in the second hobbit movie. At least that's who I think they were takling about... So they might even be in the 3rd movie.

it had an initial bump after retirement but has been calm since then, keep in mind this isnt the most exciting set so demand is low compared to some sets but it was very heavily discounted, i got mine around $40 so im not to worried about it atm. Also it was retired last spring, it hasent even been a year, also the Hobbit just came out days ago so hopefully that will draw some more attention to it.

I just bought one last week at Barnes and Noble for around $20 after all the discounts, and they had a couple more on the shelf. Gotta wait for these to go away before the price climbs.

$20 is a great price for these. I would have bought all of them just so I could have a set of ringwraiths lol