The Real Reason Why The Lone Ranger Line is Retiring

Just my opinion, not a fan. I think that the only way to make money on the theme was to buy at huge discounts. I don't think that these sets are gonna appreciate much after EOL. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I am with you. I see decent returns for the train and ok for the stage coach.

The train is not really a sleeper though - everyone immeidately targeted it. So it may take a while to even double. Stagecoach will be more of a sleeper with modest returns.

But I think the minifigures just aren't very good. As for theme being good western sets - absolutely true - but why do people pay double for a set after its retired? Will they do this if they don't like the figures?

Just my opinion, not a fan. I think that the only way to make money on the theme was to buy at huge discounts. I don't think that these sets are gonna appreciate much after EOL. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I am with you. I see decent returns for the train and ok for the stage coach.

The train is not really a sleeper though - everyone immeidately targeted it. So it may take a while to even double. Stagecoach will be more of a sleeper with modest returns.

But I think the minifigures just aren't very good. As for theme being good western sets - absolutely true - but why do people pay double for a set after its retired? Will they do this if they don't like the figures?

From the beginning I always believed CT and SC to be the leaders of the theme. Both are decent sets (the train is quite good) and the MSRP was also fairly good. I`m with you on the minifigs DNIIM. WAY too many Tonto`s for one thing, and the rest were quite lackluster for the most part. Not horrible figures, but certainly nothing special among the theme, though I do really like the solider uniforms (perfect Civil War era army builders). Honestly not sure about doubling on SC though, Train eventually yes. Still need to pick up all the sets for my collection, been putting it off hoping for bigger discounts, maybe that is also an indication. Nothing in this theme was/is a "must have" for me either  :sarcastic:

From the beginning I always believed CT and SC to be the leaders of the theme. Both are decent sets (the train is quite good) and the MSRP was also fairly good. I`m with you on the minifigs DNIIM. WAY too many Tonto`s for one thing, and the rest were quite lackluster for the most part. Not horrible figures, but certainly nothing special among the theme, though I do really like the solider uniforms (perfect Civil War era army builders). Honestly not sure about doubling on SC though, Train eventually yes. Still need to pick up all the sets for my collection, been putting it off hoping for bigger discounts, maybe that is also an indication. Nothing in this theme was/is a "must have" for me either  :sarcastic:

Only must have for me was that train car with a Gatling gun. I don't even have another train (I just bought it for the full train anyway) but that Gatling gun is badass. Every Train should have a Gatling Gun. The term "Train Robber" would have never existed.

• Like 1

Only must have for me was that train car with a Gatling gun. I don't even have another train (I just bought it for the full train anyway) but that Gatling gun is badass. Every Train should have a Gatling Gun. The term "Train Robber" would have never existed.

PM me, I'll sell you just the Gatling Gun!

• Like 1

Good point! If nothing else, I`d like 1 train (mainly for the locomotive, it is pretty nice), though I hear ya on the Gatling gun. Wonder if we`ll ever say an official Lego one again, and if so how long?  :ahappy: Maybe they`ll some boxing day sales on it, crossing my fingers. 

It's still too early to decide these sets are going to be flops.  Sure, this movie did horribly in the box office, the DVD is not out yet, so you never know if this will become a cult classic.  You got movies like The Big Lebowski, Boondock Saint, and Office Space to name a few in recent years that did horrendous in the box office and the DVDs sold like hotcakes.  There will be people that'll want these sets.

From an investing standpoint, it was actually too bad that the LR minifig came in every set and Tonto all but Calvary....but obviously they had to because most of the other figs are all "generic." Perhaps the best fig was the saloon redhead with the stagecoach!

First ever Lego madam, there's also some Lego history significance.

I think the stage coach may be a nice set if bought a few weeks ago at good discount. This coach can be used as complement for many other themes.

I bought 15 Coaches at $13.50 each on clearance at Kmart in September. Hoping they do well

It's a cool set regardless of the movie.  The coach and the train will be great sellers despite the franchise.  Anyone doing a western theme will by buying these, and, if no western sets are released in the next 1 - 2 years, they will be as good as gold.  I like the SW stuff, but if I had the chance to build up western sets, that would have been my main collection theme.  

It's still too early to decide these sets are going to be flops.  Sure, this movie did horribly in the box office, the DVD is not out yet, so you never know if this will become a cult classic.  You got movies like The Big Lebowski, Boondock Saint, and Office Space to name a few in recent years that did horrendous in the box office and the DVDs sold like hotcakes.  There will be people that'll want these sets.

On that note, the DVD and Bluray is being released tomorrow. Just saw a commercial with the usual "Available this Tuesday!" bit.

I bought 15 Coaches at $13.50 each on clearance at Kmart in September. Hoping they do well

At that price, you`ve already done very well  :thumbsup:

Both of those are excellent! Haven`t seen Office Space. Interesting comparison to LR, but it`s a compatible one. It may do very well on DVD/Blu-ray. Everyone loves a great film (or at least a film they personally think is great), but there are many who also like to laugh at a good stinker and hopefully this is have some after-market impact on the merchandise. I had the pleasure of seeing the movie shortly after its release. Put it this way, I to think it could very well be a contender for the "good stinker category."  :stinker:  xD

Blasphemy of the highest order. 

Office Space is absolute classic!

Well, now I know how to spending my next movie night via iTunes   :thumbsup: Thank you both kindly!

One more...Super Trooper

Seen bits and pieces of that one. It`s being put higher on the list in my mind as I type this now  :laugh:

• Like 1

Most people think the Lone Ranger Lego line is retiring because the movie did bad at the box office, Well it takes time for Lego to get a License and with Disney it takes plenty of money to get it, so since Lego got burned on the King of Persia line, for the Lone Ranger Line Lego and Disney went with a end of 2013 Deal.Now up to when have these sets have still been made,well only Lego know's that.So they still could be around for a while, but for all of us who got the trains for $60 well they should do pretty good down the road. Ed

Very interesting reason. I do not know whether it is true or not, but it is a very possible reason. If it is true, that means the sets had a retail life of about 7-8 months. A short life span for a Lego set.

I do think LEGO did a fairly good job designing the whole series. Every set seems to be unique and neat to me. Originally I only got stagecoach, but now I have the bank and train too. It does look like they are done at least on LEGO Shop at Home and there seems to be no reason for LEGO to continue this line based on the fact the movie didn't go too well. It will probably be one of the soonest (between buying the sets and EOL/selling) that I and we all can see the results of our investment.