The Real Reason Why The Lone Ranger Line is Retiring

Most people think the Lone Ranger Lego line is retiring because the movie did bad at the box office, Well it takes time for Lego to get a License and with Disney it takes plenty of money to get it, so since Lego got burned on the King of Persia line, for the Lone Ranger Line Lego and Disney went with a end of 2013 Deal.Now up to when have these sets have still been made,well only Lego know's that.So they still could be around for a while, but for all of us who got the trains for $60 well they should do pretty good down the road. Ed

• Like 1

Most people think the Lone Ranger Lego line is retiring because the movie did bad at the box office, Well it takes time for Lego to get a License and with Disney it takes plenty of money to get it, so since Lego got burned on the King of Persia line, for the Lone Ranger Line Lego and Disney went with a end of 2013 Deal.Now up to when have these sets have still been made,well only Lego know's that.So they still could be around for a while, but for all of us who got the trains for $60 well they should do pretty good down the road. Ed

Where did you learn this from?  Is there comment by Lego about it?

Very interesting reason. I do not know whether it is true or not, but it is a very possible reason. If it is true, that means the sets had a retail life of about 7-8 months. A short life span for a Lego set.

Well until I see some sort of fact about this, its not much of a reason.  I can understand them making a short term deal, that is fine because I am sure it costs a lot of money, but I would like to see a comment from Lego before I say this is 100%  the reason.  

While the fact the The Lone Range movie flopped did not influence the production time of the line, previous flops definitely did. LR LEGO line is done and the short production run would likely be because TLG learned their lesson with previous movie licenses. Unless the movie does amazing and results in multiple sequels, retail interest for a one and done movie theme doesn't last very long, regardless what toy we're talking about.

While the fact the The Lone Range movie flopped did not influence the production time of the line, previous flops definitely did. LR LEGO line is done and the short production run would likely be because TLG learned their lesson with previous movie licenses. Unless the movie does amazing and results in multiple sequels, retail interest for a one and done movie theme doesn't last very long, regardless what toy we're talking about.

You feel this one will be any different in terms of investment? I just see it as a little better Prince of Persia.

You feel this one will be any different in terms of investment? I just see it as a little better Prince of Persia.

I think they'll still do well regardless of the movie. The stagecoach and train are great and if they would have been made without the LR branding they probably would have been viewed even more highly. I think people want a western theme and these sets fill that need for the time being.

The biggest problem with Cars, Toy Story and POTC was that the sets didn't come out until the last movie in each of those series'. They missed the biggest times of interest. I think that for movie themes to do well there has to be continued interest built by more movies or tv shows. It's not to say that one day they can't be worth more, but there are generally better things to invest in, awesome ships aside.

A smart route would have been to create a line with synonymous pieces.  Instead of the Lone Ranger, they could come out with a western set using pretty much the same parts for trains, wagons, shoot-outs, and anything else cowboyish.  I would not be suprised to see a new western line coming out this summer, and I would buy into it.  

A smart route would have been to create a line with synonymous pieces.  Instead of the Lone Ranger, they could come out with a western set using pretty much the same parts for trains, wagons, shoot-outs, and anything else cowboyish.  I would not be suprised to see a new western line coming out this summer, and I would buy into it.  

I love that idea. I liked the older western themed sets that Lego had in the 1990's and I wish I had those, but they are too expensive for me to buy them. If Lego did produce a new western theme, I would buy the sets.

I love that idea. I liked the older western themed sets that Lego had in the 1990's and I wish I had those, but they are too expensive for me to buy them. If Lego did produce a new western theme, I would buy the sets.

They did this. They called it The Lone Ranger. Buy them at a good discount now, throw away the boxes and manuals after you build the sets, sell the Lone Ranger and Tonto minifigures. Bam, you've got nice western sets.

The biggest problem with Cars, Toy Story and POTC was that the sets didn't come out until the last movie in each of those series'. They missed the biggest times of interest. I think that for movie themes to do well there has to be continued interest built by more movies or tv shows. It's not to say that one day they can't be worth more, but there are generally better things to invest in, awesome ships aside.

^^this. I gotta think POTC and Toy Story for sure would've been bigger if they timed it better and earlier in the series.

PoP and LR were one and done movies...so little hope there I guess...

Even though I Can't buy wholsale anymore I still have a few friends in Lego that I talk to now and then. and try and get whatever info I can. Take the new line Cinderella well it takes about a year to Show Disney what they want to do, does Disney like the Designs and sets, so after everybody is happy with the sets, well then they start the business side of the deal, how long of a License will both sides agree on. And the the main thing the Price, as I stated before it runs in the millions.So Thats what happened with the Lone ranger, it took about 8 months to get everything ready, nobody knew if the Lone ranger would be a hit or flop, but Lgeo and Disney came up with a end of the year deal for sets retiring.

• Like 1