10237 - Tower of Orthanc

Guest TabbyBoy
27 minutes ago, studontop said:

I guess giving the theme a bit more time is the right move. In 4 years (2021) Lord of the Rings will make it's 20th anniversary. Return of the King is the most decorated movie in terms of number of Oscars won. 

Bad move. The Star Wars 40th did nothing to restore prices of the tumbling UCS sets. LOTR is long forgotten (no more movies) and is now a dead duck. Sell now or lose even more as once ToO falls below RRP, that's it I'm afraid.

36 minutes ago, studontop said:

I guess giving the theme a bit more time is the right move. In 4 years (2021) Lord of the Rings will make it's 20th anniversary. Return of the King is the most decorated movie in terms of number of Oscars won. 

Yup, the film won 11/11 at the 2004 Oscars. ToO is a wonderful set to behold.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Bad move. The Star Wars 40th did nothing to restore prices of the tumbling UCS sets. LOTR is long forgotten (no more movies) and is now a dead duck. Sell now or lose even more as once ToO falls below RRP, that's it I'm afraid.

You have a really weird way of looking at Lego.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2017 at 11:53 AM, junkrigger said:

This could be ideal. No mainstream popularity would imply no remakes ever. Simply based on these being the original, possibly still best fantasy books of all time there will always be a following and new Lego LoTR/Hobbit fans.

See, people have used this as an argument for LOTR, but I just don't think it's true. I agree there will always be new fans, but Harry Potter completely dwarfs it now. I had hoped this theme would be on par, but I think the fact is, HP is a much easier read and easier way to get into fantasy. I think this theme drags as a result.

Wow, suddenly there's a lot of activity in this thread.

In retrospect, selling my copy of ToO for 320€ one year ago doesn't seem like such a bad decision. At that time, I feared I might regret making the sale but decided a bird in hand is better than two in the bush. I think the same applies to other retired exclusives of that time like Red 5 and Tumbler where additional gains in price after the first EOL-bump are negligible at best. Glad I got rid of those, too.

2 hours ago, Brian Briggs said:

In retrospect, selling my copy of ToO for 320€ one year ago doesn't seem like such a bad decision. At that time, I feared I might regret making the sale but decided a bird in hand is better than two in the bush. I think the same applies to other retired exclusives of that time like Red 5 and Tumbler where additional gains in price after the first EOL-bump are negligible at best. Glad I got rid of those, too.

Taking lots of small steps instead of holding has been the way to invest in Exclusives and looks set to continue.

39 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Taking lots of small steps instead of holding has been the way to invest in Exclusives and looks set to continue.

And this being the case (I know some will argue for looooong holds... but the risk of remake and low CAGR are real), Exclusives have gone from the most to least attractive "investment" plastic. 

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy
On 04/03/2017 at 3:11 AM, KShine said:

Let me guess - Once the ToO falls below RRP, you're out (again).

Why would selling a set put me out again? I'm done with buying, but far from done with selling ;-)

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Why would selling a set put me out again? I'm done with buying, but far from done with selling ;-)

I love how people keep going back to calling you out and don't understand what you have clearly stated. Are you supposed to hold on to a warehouse full of sets that you have already acquired since you are now out of the game? I don't get it.

Edited by legodelorean
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, legodelorean said:

I'm glad I sold mine as well like many others on here. I sold mine for $15 profit last year. Not much, but I also bought it for rrp. Now if only I could get rid of my T1 Camper Van that has been sitting in my closet for the past 3 years then I'd be happy.

Just a couple examples, but he also said he'd buy Dragon Sanctuary's and other stuff if he could.  After the 10th declaration of not buying anymore, you stop listening.  It's very depressing to read through the old posts.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Just a couple examples, but he also said he'd buy Dragon Sanctuary's and other stuff if he could.  After the 10th declaration of not buying anymore, you stop listening.  It's very depressing to read through the old posts.

I guess I don't subscribe to enough posts!

On 05/03/2017 at 0:32 PM, Brian Briggs said:

I sold my 4 sets for 329€ (bought at 159€), this is a +112% profit, and I am quite happy with it. My whole LOTR stock was sold rather slowly, but the profit was good (+100% at minimum).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6. 3. 2017 at 4:27 PM, denosya said:

I sold my 4 sets for 329€ (bought at 159€), this is a +112% profit, and I am quite happy with it. My whole LOTR stock was sold rather slowly, but the profit was good (+100% at minimum).

Yep, I sold all of mine now aswell, except 1 small set of Hobbit with Elrond etc... which i might aswell keep since i dont have the figures...

I sold all of my sets in Europe for good profit, overall I think it ended like 65% profit.... not bad for an 800€ investment. 

Sold my first Tower of Orthanc the other day for only 60% profit (£100 profit after fees and postage). There are quite a lot of sellers now around this price, so I can't see it going up much in the next 6 months, but maybe it will go up more by Christmas. I'd still say it was worth my time and money and space to have bought and stored and eventually sold it, but obviously buying five DeLoreans would have been smarter! My other LOTR sets have been selling steadily over the past year at more than 100% profit, so probably more of those would have also been an idea but I think the first wave was retired when ToO came out.

On 3/3/2017 at 5:19 PM, TabbyBoy said:

Funny if ToO is resurrected with a Batman logo on the box? ;-)

I've advertised my last one locally for £225 and little interest apart from an offer of £150. If I get £200, it's gone!

I hope you didn't manage to sell it. It would go easily on eBay for £290 delivered.

On 3/4/2017 at 3:26 AM, TabbyBoy said:

Edit: Didn't even see this little gem; Tower of orthanc fall below rrp. Man you post some crazy stuff on this forum.

Edited by thebluewizard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alcarin said:

Yep, I sold all of mine now aswell, except 1 small set of Hobbit with Elrond etc... which i might aswell keep since i dont have the figures...

I sold all of my sets in Europe for good profit, overall I think it ended like 65% profit.... not bad for an 800€ investment. 

Yeah the ToO isn't performing badly at all. If I were to sell now i'd make a 70% profit.

LOTR anniversary will make nothing to LOTR sets. Their price will just continuously rise, and never fall down. The only problem is that the rise of prices is too slow. I have expected much bigger rise, because 1) there is almost zero chance to have LOTR sets in future, 2) there is a lot of LOTR fans in AFOL age. These factors are still here, but problem is that there is more sets in secondary market than the fan base among AFOLs + the theme is now dead (no new movies, nothing what would keep fans excited). We are confused by SW theme, which was alive also during the years without new movies, and is still alive. I think the price of LOTR sets will be once very high, because of the 2 mentioned factors. A LOTR fan can build his own LOTR buildings, but cannot replace the characters and figs... if AFOL - LOTR fan come from dark ages, he will pay any price for LOTR sets. The problem is that how long does it takes - if a LOTR set will increase its price from EUR 100 to EUR 110 within 1 year, it is not profitable. Its hard to wait 10 years to reach the big profit...

I have about seven Orthanc sets. I'll probably hold them until the set is selling for at least $320.

This set is one of the few sets where I will actually be keeping one for myself. Visually, it is one of my favorites. A lot of sellers are bearish on this set, but I think it will rise. Too many people love the set.

The set has great reviews on Amazon. Ninety-two percent of reviewers gave it five stars.